BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-11-2010, 03:50 PM

Just to echo Lyle a bit here, range of motion can be less than people think. I find that people who think they should be getting up higher with the heels find a way by thrusting their hips forward and/or bending the knee. Maybe that's contributing to the instability. Single leg calf raises can be tough to balance, especially with a dumbell.
Unread 02-12-2010, 12:40 AM

Yes I do agree that full extension is not too much higree than that. My issue was that it was certainly lower than what I used to get on a calf machine.

Wrt question, yes I did have an old injury (3 years ago) in the left ankle, which is also the one which is weaker and is experiencing more instabiltiy. The compromised range of motion is still evident on my right side though.

My view was that since the gastroc was already working, a full ROM may not ultimately be needer if simply seeking bigger calves. Not to mention that the definition of full ROM seems to differ for different people. Am I missing something potentially important?
Unread 03-22-2010, 03:34 PM

Default Slow and fast twitch fibers

Hi!
Good article! But is there much documentation on how different fibertypes respond to training?

Thx!
Unread 03-24-2010, 02:00 PM

Or is it just that if one mucle got alot of type 1, you want it to maintain its feiberdistribution by training with higher metabolic stress?
Unread 03-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Type I have low growth potential, Type II high. Which is why targeting the Type I for growth tends to not be worth a lot of energy. The potential just isn't there.
Unread 03-25-2010, 11:51 AM

Oh! Thats interesting! Do you know anywhere I can read more about differences in type1 and 2 hypertrophy? Thanks alot!
-Sindre
Unread 03-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Any exercise physiology textbook
Unread 12-24-2013, 08:35 AM

Does anyone have issues with the muscle mind connection of feeling calves? When I at ranges from 5-10 l have a hard time feeling calves. I feel like my knees/legs get involved even though they are mostly if not fully straight.

If I lighten the load it seems like I can do endless calf raises and I think I just get burning feeling and not much work.

If I do calf raises on leg press(no leg press machine) I have to constantly adjust my feet trying to focus on the inner big toe while trying to get away from a feeling of "pushing" the weight vs lifting them with the calves.
Unread 12-24-2013, 08:52 AM
Administrator

It sounds like you are not locking out your knees, why else would you be 'pushing with your legs' on the leg press.
Unread 12-26-2013, 10:28 AM

See I usually only go stiff to the point of keeping my hands over my knees from bending. Only recently have I heard I risked injury being so stiff.

I just have a really tough time consistently feeling the contraction in the muscle belly. Its more I feel like I'm going through the motions and since I can't feel it in my calves I guess I start to notice other parts.

If i do burnouts with low reps I can get the burning feeling but doing regular sets I feel like I have to constantly readjust my feet to try and "find" where I can get the contraction.