BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-19-2019, 10:45 PM

206.74 average weight for the week. Down 1.95 lbs from the week prior.

Since I started my food journal mid-week, I'm going to need to either adjust my average or wait an extra however many days to figure out my metabolic needs. I suppose it doesn't much matter which. Should've figured this all out ages ago, but then I would've had to be more realistic about my diet. Oh well.

No workout today.
Unread 05-22-2019, 10:28 PM

Two days into the workout week. This week I'm doing blocks of

10/15/25/50

Using the 53 lb kettlebell for the 10s and 15s, and the 35 lb bell for the 25s and 50s. I tried introducing the 1/3/5 goblets into the mix, but it was just too much. Yesterday I didn't manage to hit all of my reps. Tonight I cut 9:30 off of last night's time, and finished the workout. It's amazing how quickly the body can make itself efficient, even at my age.

I had an epiphany and realized that I just don't care to spend all day rubbing crap into my callouses, so I started using little fingerless half-gloves. That seems to have solved that problem.

I'm working on improving my eating habits, one meal at a time. Breakfast is a bowl of FiberOne, kefir, two scoops of whey. Otherwise right now I'm just trying to make sure that I hit my macros and eat at least one piece of fruit or serving of veggies each day. It's hard, Texas doesn't seem to have any produce worth eating.

Numbers on the scale are still trending down.
Unread 05-30-2019, 01:20 AM

Oh wow.

Family member went into surgery on Monday, so I put everything on hold for a minute.

At Sunday I did my average weight: 205.37. So 1.37 lbs lost this week. Okay. Honestly don't know if I'm seeing any change in my midsection or not. I guess I'll pick up Lyle's Stubborn Fat Solution or whatever it's called, and do some reading prep for the next cutting cycle, waaaay down the line. I still have more time left on this one, so I'm hopeful. I'm using ephedrine+caffeine+nicotine, as far as diet aids go. It gets me through the day.

The workout's going well. I'm increasing the weight once a week and beating the time, every workout. This week's first workout was faster than last week's second workout, despite bumping up to the heavier kb weight. I don't feel as much like I'm going to die. The movement is crisper. I'm not showing any signs of over-work. I'm definitely taxing my grip, so I'm pretty happy about that. A little bit annoyed that I'm behind, now, because it'll take me almost six full weeks to finish the challenge, which feels like a long time to not lift for realsies, but I really want to get this done before it gets too hot.
Unread 06-06-2019, 11:45 PM

I made it through week 3 of a theoretical 5. IOW my next will be workout 13 of 20.

I feel like my diet has stalled, because my scale has hardly budged this week. It's distressing, because I'm practically on a psmf + workout carbs at this point. The little line of my moving averages on HappyScale is still pointing down, though, so I'm going to stick with it a while longer. I'm not really sure what else to do. I'm down about 7 lbs from where I started. I look leaner, except in stubborn areas, which appear more pronounced for it. I recall having similar issues, when I ran an actual psmf, last year.

The two and a half hours of commuting to and from the hospital each day hasn't done great things for my workout consistency. I won't lie, I dread each day of this workout. It's not fun. I can't wait to be finished. In the meantime, I've started adding some incline treadmill to my rest days, just cuz.
Unread 06-10-2019, 12:11 AM

14 of 20 workouts done. I still hate this workout. I wonder if there's something biological that allows a certain type of person to get off on conditioning. Some people seem to really love it. I hate every second of it, despite consistent progress. There's just nothing fun about it, at all.

I made it through all 500 reps with the heavier bell tonight. Relatively slowly. But it felt better than a few nights ago, when I only managed to finish four blocks, before my body just didn't feel good anymore. I only made one of the 50 rep sets as a straight shot. The rest I had to do as clusters. But it was 41,9 on the second set, so I'm getting closer. The last block was the only one where I couldn't pull off a split set for the 50s. That one went 20,15,15.

Seems like grip is my point of failure, generally, on the long sets. Nothing I can do about that except hope that it improves.

1.8 lbs lost last week. My app tells me that I'm losing at a rate of 1.24 lbs per week. But I think the past two weeks were kind of trash for reasons having nothing to do with diet or exercise. Diet-wise I'm doing RFL on non-workout days and RFL+workout carbs on workout days. I think this probably isn't ideal for interval training, cause Lyle said so. Oh well, I figure a week or two won't kill me, and I don't have a lot of time at home right now.

I've lost about an inch around the waist.

Don't know what I'm going to do after I'm done with this challenge. Something fun. Definitely not more conditioning.
Unread 06-10-2019, 05:16 AM

Just make sure you're not running yourself into the ground with all the conditioning, life stress and low carbs. If you find the intensity of a couple workouts in a row dropping even with the right mindset, listen to your body and be sure to take a couple days at higher calories and maybe change up what you're doing in the gym a bit for those days - have a bit of fun.
I'm one of those people who looove conditioning , except for my deadlifts and squats I do everything in at least a super set with my accessories usually being done in a big circuit - with that I have experience messing myself up with conditioning from when I first started working out and despite knowing that I should have a couple lower intensity days a week each workout was 'well...just today, then the NEXT one I'll do the smart thing and take it easy'
while your body can take a beating for a few weeks, it's not worth it long term
Unread 06-11-2019, 02:19 AM

Yeah I know. For this last chunk of training I'm running the swings EOD, with LISS in between. That's one thing I've really let slack, since joining a PL gym.
Unread 06-11-2019, 10:50 PM

Tonight, for the very first time since I started this workout, I was able to leave the gym wearing the shirt I walked in with. The sudden change caught me by surprise. Very nice not to leave the gym feeling disgusting. I finished this workout seven minutes more quickly than I did on Saturday, a nice jump. Made it through two blocks as written. For blocks 3,4, and 5, grip was a limiting factor, on the sets of 50. I did get a few more reps than I did on Saturday, before it failed, though. So still some improvement.

In the diet area I've been working on working fiber into my diet. I'm shooting for 50 gr / day, sort of arbitrarily. That's going well. I haven't had any stomach problems, since I started eating that way. Low carb tortillas are the bomb.

Workout 15 down, that's 7500 swings. Going to feel good to finish.
Unread 06-13-2019, 10:40 PM

Workout 16 went backwards, for some reason Finished in the same amount of time as workout 14. The 50 rep sets were a disaster. On the last block, I didn't even manage to make it through the 25 rep set, without turning it into a cluster. I felt better, metabolically, tonight, than I did for workout 14. Another dry shirt night. But I just had nothing in the tank.

I'm guessing this is either:
- accumulating fatigue
- too severe dieting for too long

or both. I resisted the urge to cut the workout short, since I'm just going to be doing it over again, anyway, and just trudged through it. I'll hit it again, in two weeks. Ate some carbs, after the workout. I'm thinking I'll reintroduce carbs on my workout days, only. I've only got four more workouts to go, anyway.
Unread 06-17-2019, 02:18 AM

Workout 17 was sliding further backward, so I just stopped. I think fatigue finally just caught up with me. Disappointed to not finish the challenge but oh well. All in all I lost 10.2 lbs, bringing me down to 200.4. The scale pegs my bf at 21% or something.

I tested my deadlift tonight, to see if there'd be some magic there, as a lot of the people talking on the internet report big jumps in their deadlift, afterward. No such luck. That being said, the lift itself felt better, both my bracing and grip, which I guess isn't really any surprise. I had less push off the ground, but that's what I get for taking a month off squatting. The caveat here is that fatigue is almost certainly masking some degree of my fitness.

One thing I did notice is that my - someone help me out with the right word here - 'energy systems' or whatever felt a bit improved. Granted, it was only one lift, but I flew through my warmup sets, was restless while resting. Working near and at my max didn't feel as taxing as it used to. I had to keep looking at the clock to make sure I was giving myself enough time between max attempts. I guess that's cool.

I'm going to:

Start 531 or maybe run it as 863, since I'm old, and don't compete, anyway. Just get reacquainted with my lifts, basically. I'll run it four days per week, with an added day of strongman and kettlebell work on Saturday. I'll probably run the vanilla program, for the first month, and tack on 10 minutes of sprint work, at the end of each workout.

Begin an 8 week walking progression program that I picked up on t-mag, just because I want to get myself back into the habit of doing LISS.

Diet-wise I learned that I was way over-estimating my caloric needs. Probably the reason I'm still as fat as I am. D'oh. I'm not really sure what to make of that. I feel like I should've lost more than I did, given how little I ate. I've basically been on a protein fast, so there wasn't much room for hidden calories. I think I'm going to just reintroduce fruits and vegetables, since I hear those are healthy for me, anyway. Maybe add a spoon of peanut butter or two to one of my tortillas and call that my fat intake for the day. I don't know if I'm comfortable with the idea of putting on weight, yet, so I'll probably just try to find maintenance.