BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-25-2009, 01:47 PM

Default Health Insurance

After graduating from college last spring I have been without health insurance for the past six months.

I chose not to buy health insurance after graduation assuming that when I was hired by a compnay or firm, my health insurance would be available through them. Unfortunetaly, I have had to take a job with someone who does not provide health insurance through their company (a very small business).

Throughout my life my health insurance was covered either through my mother's plan or when in school, through the university.

I am looking for advice on how to find health insurance.

Now, I feel the fact that I am a healthy, active, male in his early twenties with no history of disease should help me in getting "relatively" inexpensive insurance. However, I realize I may be wrong in that assumption. Further, I hardly ever get sick with the common cold and when I do, usually take care of it with lots of vitamin C, rest, and food.

I would mainly be interested in insurance which would take care of any kind of catastrophic event such as a car accident or unforseeable injuries and that would also provide for yearly screenings for for diseass that men are prone to as they age.

I would really appreciate any assitance in this matter. Thanks all.

-Drew
Unread 11-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Administrator

i have a policy pretty much like the one you're looking for: it's catastrophic. I rarely get sick, never go to the doctor but want to be covered if I get hit by a truck or something.

So I accept a large deductible in exchange for a lower monthly rate. Because if antyhing happens to me, it'll be one of those near bankrupting kinds of things. In which case a $5 deductible won't matter in comparison.

I found mine through. Offhand I forget how much I pay but it's cheap. It doesn't cover anything but, for me, it covers what I need.

http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/
Unread 11-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Banned

Sorry to hijack the thread somewhat - but on a related note I'd be interested to hear how actual real-life Americans feel about the Obama health care plans.

In the UK our media tends to be fairly biased towards portraying it as something that Americans welcome with open arms.

Whilst I think our NHS is forward thinking and humanitarian in theory, like all welfare state contraptions it's open to being exploited and ruined by the fact that most people are basically idiots who don't deserve it.
Unread 11-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Administrator

a. For goodness sake, it takes 5 seconds to start a separate thread. Seriously. Hijacking with something this irrelevant to the OP's question is sheer laziness.

b. This is one of those discussions that will turn into a flame war sooner rather as I've yet to see anybody discuss it with any sort of rationality. So I'm going to give everybody fair warning, IF this gets into discussion (IN ANOTHER THREAD), be very careful.
Unread 11-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Banned

My apologies.
Unread 11-25-2009, 03:09 PM

I would second something like einsurance. Also if you look in the yellow pages/internet, you should be able to find other brokers in your area to call.

I've been self employed for 10+ years now, all the while having to pay for my own insurance for my family. I also work in this field.

A single young male in good health without any bad history will be pretty cheap to insure, probably less than $100/month depending on deductible and state requirements.

If you dont like to go into the doctor for every little thing, then your best bet is going to be sticking with a high deductible (catastrophic) plan like lyle states. That is what I ran with for a few years until the kids arrived.

The real kicker comes into play when you have a wife or kids to cover, because they need to go in every year for checkups and that can start adding up fast.

Also dont be scared to change plans every year or so if the rates go up too much, insurers like to play with their numbers a lot, and some years will jack the rates to lower the amount of business they do in a certain market.

I believe in my time so far Ive had to switch companies 4 times already, most of that is related to the much higher costs of covering a family though and the added complexity needed.
Unread 11-25-2009, 08:30 PM

Thanks for all the info. everyone, much appreciaited.

I'm busy now, but I have some questions regarding some of the advice given above. Be back tomorrow or after the holiday.

Thanks, hope everyone has an enjoyable Thanksgiving.

-Drew
Unread 12-04-2009, 12:00 PM

Sorry for getting back to this so late but I have been sick for the past week with a head cold. Funny how it coincided with my starting a thread about health insurance.

Anyway, I have done some preliminary research into health insurance in my state (Massachusetts) and it appears that I may not be able to only have "catastrophic insurance". There seems to be this term "minimum creditable coverage" which requires me to obtain insurance that covers certain benefits, or I will have to pay a fine when I file taxs.

I am going to look into this a bit more, but wanted to again thank everyone for their help.
Unread 12-04-2009, 01:32 PM

Ahh yeah, didnt realize you were in that state. Mass I believe was the first state to pass such a law, and when they did, they proclaimed " We are the first state to ensure everyone is covered by health insurance!"

Yeah, like forcing people to buy coverage was such a bonus. Gotta love politicians.

Anyway, its much like many states have in terms of basic coverage limits. Most all states have some rules regarding the bottom tier of coverage, and for the most part, single young guys with no major health issues can do just fine by buying just the basic coverage.

One thing to keep in mind about not being covered, is when you do get coverage you will have exclusions from prior conditions. Companies sometimes will have a policy that overwrites that, but personal policies rarely do.
Unread 12-04-2009, 02:02 PM

Yeah, I probably should have mentioned that I live in MA. It defintely complicates things. So far the cheapest plan I can find is for around $230 a month. Does that seem unreasonable?

Once I do find a plan do you have any advise on who I should talk to to help me "understand" what is covered and what it will cost me for certain services?

Many thanks,

Drew