BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Banned

Default Squat vs. Leg press for Rugby?

I've read the relevant articles and it seems like the consensus is that squatting offers no advantage over leg press, and may in fact be contraindicated for certain body types.

Does this apply to sports like rugby? Would a normally-proportioned person get the same performance benefit from leg pressing? I remember squatting being very heavily emphasized but I'm not sure if this is just dogma.
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Administrator

I think you'll find that I was qualifying much of what I wrote in regards to exercise choice in terms of 'hypertrophy'. Which is a very different goal than sports performance.
Unread 09-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
I think you'll find that I was qualifying much of what I wrote in regards to exercise choice in terms of 'hypertrophy'. Which is a very different goal than sports performance.
Ok, just to make sure I'm following this correctly: is it fair to say, then, that squats are a superior choice for sports performance in rugby (or football) (assuming a normally proportioned individual)?

I get the impression that squats would beat out leg press in most sports, actually, unless they involved a similar movement to leg pressing (skating, etc.)
Unread 09-15-2011, 02:41 AM

How many sports have movements that similar to squatting (esp back squats)? I'm not sure it's that many.

Brazilian Jujitsu would be a sport where the leg press is a more similar movement (with the open guard). So, it's not always the case where squats are more similar than leg presses.

I guess some of the tight forwards in rugby might have similarities to squatting due to the scrum.

For backs, I guess it's whatever works better for acceleration.

Just guessing here as I'm no rugby coach.
Unread 09-15-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxw View Post
How many sports have movements that similar to squatting (esp back squats)? I'm not sure it's that many.

Brazilian Jujitsu would be a sport where the leg press is a more similar movement (with the open guard). So, it's not always the case where squats are more similar than leg presses.

I guess some of the tight forwards in rugby might have similarities to squatting due to the scrum.

For backs, I guess it's whatever works better for acceleration.

Just guessing here as I'm no rugby coach.

Thankfully sport science has evolved since the 1960s in russia, and good coaches no longer try to mimmick sports actions in the gym to make exercises 'sport specfic.' The only sport specific training for rugby is playing rugby. The point of the gym is to strengthen the muscles and structures of the whole body in order to reduce the chance of injury, and improve performance, in that order. This involves whole body strengthening, as well as specific focuses on stuff like neck strength, and doing lots of heavy lifting of compound lifts, plus stuff like power cleans and power snatches. Yes, you'll rarely snatch a bar in a game of rugby, but that's not why they do it.
Unread 09-15-2011, 08:04 PM

Fair point on the mimicking movements. I agree with your points about overall strengthening.

For a normally proportioned person, squatting might be better than leg press for rugby*. But if for rugby person Y, squatting does not work well for hypertrophy due to poor leverage (long femurs), why would it be effective for athletic reasons?

* I realize it's possible to actually do both.
Unread 09-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Administrator

A friend of mine was the top S&C guy for rugby and many related sports in Ireland. About the most 'specific' movement he did was board presses simply because it trained the triceps/delts/pecs in a range of motion relevant to pushing off guys trying to ruin the dude with the ball.
Unread 09-15-2011, 10:52 PM

almost as comparable as the NSCA saying close grip bench press is functional for basketball..............not
Unread 09-16-2011, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxw View Post
Fair point on the mimicking movements. I agree with your points about overall strengthening.

For a normally proportioned person, squatting might be better than leg press for rugby*. But if for rugby person Y, squatting does not work well for hypertrophy due to poor leverage (long femurs), why would it be effective for athletic reasons?

* I realize it's possible to actually do both.
Why do you assume long femurs would make squatting ineffective for a rugby player? It's going to depend more on their technique. Most rugby players are short and thick though, not tall and lanky like a basketball player, but even if they had long femurs, they could likely just shove their knees out more and improve their ankle mobility. Remember that they're trying to strengthen the body and movement patterns, not optimally hypertrophy specific muscle groups.
Unread 09-16-2011, 04:02 AM

Yeah, locks are on the only ones who are relatively lanky (I realise they're heavy).

What do you mean by "movement patterns"?

I'm not saying you're wrong in anyway, I'm just asking.