BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-06-2012, 11:33 PM

Given that his hard runs are causing his soreness, how is dropping to 2-3 times/week going to help?

To Randyjr: have you considered just doing 1 hard run per week and seeing whether this plus the easy runs will allow you to get quicker?
Unread 02-07-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyjr View Post
My problem is constant and long lasting soreness/fatigue in my quads, mainly the vastus lateralis. I've debated posting this here as I have implemented many changes but still end up with excessive sore quads. I posted a question a few months ago on here about not improving in my race times mainly due to this problem, and decided to drop all races for a time and slow down my easy runs, which got me nowhere. After a hard training run, the soreness usually lasts 3-5 days and 5K's last for 4-6 days.
Without going into detail, I run 2 quality days with the rest easy/recovery. This soreness has been going on for months, probably since October or so, maybe longer. My PT says I have good form/good footstrike and my cadence is around 180 or so, maybe a little less. One interesting thing is my hams never get sore from running, ever. When I do speedwork or extended tempos, my glutes get sore and my calves do when I wear minimal shoes but these are the only muscles. I just read someone on a running website say something about beginner runners get sore quads and that's a sign of poor form. Another thread said doing squats or quad strengthening will reduce quad soreness from running. I now do a lower body workout 1-2 times a week but honestly never do quad exercises because I don't want to add to the soreness! Opinions on excessive quad soreness and how to reduce it? I've done a lot of research on the net but can't find anything concrete.
Well start doing quad exercises and see what happens. Use a full ROM.

edit: Also make sure to warm up and cool down properly when you run.

Last edited by mrlakramondas : 02-07-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Unread 02-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxw View Post
Given that his hard runs are causing his soreness, how is dropping to 2-3 times/week going to help?

To Randyjr: have you considered just doing 1 hard run per week and seeing whether this plus the easy runs will allow you to get quicker?
true, I meant to keep the 2-3 runs hard, but drop the rest. I can't imagine ever needing more than 3 hard runs a week to keep away soreness. but running 5 days a week could easily make it difficult to every fully recover.