BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-21-2018, 05:02 AM

Recorded my snatchgrip deadlifts tonight. It was bad. I think I need to dedicate a good deal of time outside of my program to working on the form. Maybe go back to trap bar deadlifts - which seem harder to I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post. up - until I can give a microcycle to deadlifting every workout. Not the focus of my current workout, so I'm not going to fuss too too much over it, atm, but definitely a problem that I need to fix. Going to record more of my big lifts, from now on. I'm sure squats will be just as humbling.

Dumbbell incline bench was up, from last week. Which is kind of weird, because flat barbell bench has been stuck, and I've been doing it more frequently. None of the discomfort with the dbs that I've been experiencing with flat bench.

I'm still trying to work out how to program for my goals. I need to work the numbers on how long it would take to get to a spot where I can bulk, if I were to continue running a sane deficit, maybe with a PSMF thrown in every few months. Being small, weak, and fat - and old - sucks.

I picked up a set of resistance bands. Mainly just for external rotations and band pull aparts, which are a lot less boring when I'm droned out in front of the TV. Really want to avoid this impinged shoulder turning into a chronic shoulder problem.
Unread 06-22-2018, 03:05 AM

Remembered to weigh myself this morning. 198.0. Maintenance seems to be going alright.

LISS. 40 minutes walking. Cressey's Neanderthal GPP.

And pull-aparts. Christian Thibideau says that pull-aparts "are virtually impossible to overdue." I've been putting that to the test, following everything here. They feel good. My shoulder's feeling pretty good. I very rarely notice the impingement, during normal daily movement.

I've really been enjoying the GPP stuff, "body maintenance," as Kelly Starrett calls it. The actual work is boring af, but I feel better during the day and when I lift, and there's a nice peace of mind component to it all. The Starrett book's been hard for me to read, as much of it is interactive. Really has to be read on the computer, at a time when I can go through the exercises.

Tomorrow I'll record squats.
Unread 06-23-2018, 04:10 AM

Squats sucked, tonight. Nub problems. I got entirely too much into my own head, about form, and wasn't able to get find my groove again. Couldn't find a good place to set up my phone to record the sets, so unfortunately I don't have much of a takeaway, except 'think less'.

Other lifts were better.

Still no pain with dumb bells, for bench. I guess I've got to figure out why my shoulders don't like barbells for that exercise. Some tendon in my forearms seems unhappy with all of the band pull-aparts I've been doing, so I'm going to be less enthusiastic about those.
Unread 06-24-2018, 01:52 AM

Tonight I did farmer's walks. I made it quite a bit further than I did, last week, so I decided to up the weight. That weight felt good, too... but I think I tweaked my back, during the second walk. Left-hand side, middle of my back. Not a sharp pain, or even really a pain, kind of more like a muscle cramp, a vertical knot in my back. Not really sure how to describe it. I did a few more walks, because I'm smart like that, and then immediately ended my workout, because I'm smart like that.

Going to do what I always do, which is basically assume that I'm just worried about crap more than I need to be. Do some foam rolling, stretching. If anyone else has any suggestions (based on my probably useless description), have at them. That's all for today.
Unread 06-26-2018, 02:51 AM

Skipped squats tonight because excuses, and did an extra three sets of leg press, instead. Didn't feel any discomfort in my back, though, at any point of my workout, so that's encouraging.

One thing I need to figure out how to do differently is tricep training. For tris, I've been attempting to do 2x10. For whatever reason, with this particular muscle group I'm good for one set of ten, and then, on my second set, the number of reps I can complete drops dramatically. Tonight it was a set of ten and then a set of six, but I've had it drop as low as three. I'm running my workout as a double progression, so I really have no idea how to proceed with that. This is happening with isolation exercises. Compounds work alright.

I've been going about this stupidly. It occurred to me that, with my current lbm, if I were to cut down to 10%, that would put me at 161 lbs. Roughly my numbers when I first started lifting, as a kid, because I felt so freaking small. So I'm going to rethink my approach to the dieting component a bit.
Unread 06-28-2018, 03:33 AM

Redeemed myself, after Monday's no-squat suckage. I was really expecting to feel something bad (in my back), once I got under that bar, so I stepped up the warmups half as quickly as I normally do. Not only did I make it through without so much as a twinge, I think my work sets were better for it. I made my weight target, in any case, so the progression's going strong. Very happy about that.

Rest of the workout was kind of as per usual. I did feel a little bit of pain in the unhappy shoulder, when I did my incline db press, but overall I think the shoulder's getting better.

I'm still not satisfied with my tricep training. I tried doing my iso exercise as a reverse pyramid, tonight. I guess it went alright.

Diet-wise, my plan is to plug my numbers into Lyle's calculator, using the middle number for my activity level. Then I'm going to scale up as far as I need to go, in order to maintain the progression. My hope is that I'm fat enough that I can gain muscle and lose fat for a while. I'm fine with losing the fat slowly. My number one priority is remaining injury-free. I don't think I did myself any favors, running a PSMF so early in my training, when my body was / is probably working to build up tissues to support my new exercise habits. At least I hope that's what it's doing.
Unread 06-28-2018, 04:47 PM

Congrats on getting below 200 that's a nice hurdle to clear that shows you're making great progress.

As far as the shoulder... If you're doing any yupe of pressing exercise make sure you're squeezing at the top instead of just throwing them up and down... also when you're benching you need to tuck your shoulders BACK and DOWN. That will open up a lot more space. Also do the rotator cuff exercises as a warmup with very light weights right before any press exercise it really helps.

Bench

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T9UQ4FBVXI

OHP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnBmiBqp-AI&t=539s

May as well be watching his squat and dead videos too they are also excellent. I review these myself quite frequently. You should always be working to improve your technique in these movements.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 06-30-2018, 03:16 AM

Yeah, that's probably how I messed my shoulder up. Too late now.

I nearly dropped a dumb bell on my face while benching tonight, so I said f it, and finally tried the hammer strength machine. I'm young (in lifting age), all I really need to worry about is the stimulus, right? That seemed to leave my shoulder alone, although I think I felt it more in my arms than my chest. Maybe just not used to it.

Got a set of lifting straps so that I could stop making excuses for having a hinge-less workout, added RDLs back into the mix. I actually managed to go to posterior chain rather than grip failure for once. Should've done that a long time ago.

I stuck a high rep plate press at the end of my workout, just because some guy said he swears by it, for trap development, and I figured why not. I don't know if I actually accomplished anything, but I hated life by rep 50.

I've been lifting for four months, now. There are things I'd do differently, if I were to go back and start over, but I'm reasonably satisfied with the progress I'm making. I tightened another belt loop yesterday, my second since I've started. The really cool thing about that is that I'm still at maintenance, the scale hasn't changed either way. Which I take to mean that I'm losing fat and gaining muscle. Very cool.

I'm doing more real foods. Turns out that artisan bread and rice both make more satisfying pwo carbs than rice syrup solids. Who knew.

Right now, my off-days are LISS and GPP. I'm thinking of adding light squats and deadlifts to that, just for the added practice.

Tomorrow's my carry day. I'm going to try not to hurt myself.
Unread 07-01-2018, 02:54 AM

Heavy farmer's walks, Zercher holds, light farmer's walks for time. All of this is improving. No pain. Actually felt pretty good. I made a point to really focus on my form, this time, after what happened last week.
Unread 07-04-2018, 04:19 AM

Lifted. Squats felt great, today. I tried breathing the right way, for a change. That's going to take some getting used to. I had an uncomfortable tightness in my neck, by the end of my work sets. But the squats felt much more stable. Think I'll start using a belt, if only to be more consistent about bracing my midsection.

Progression in general is being kind to me, right now. I'm four months in. I'm going to give this workout two months, now that I've got RDLs back in the mix, and reassess at the six month mark. My primary focus is getting better at squatting.

Still being lazy about really nailing down my diet.

Got new protein flavors today. Unflavored whey + watermelon karboload = fail. TN lemoncake flavor is a nice change.