BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Administrator

How does a general test of whatever Crossfit is tell you something?

Let me put this even more clearly: years ago they tried to use cycle ergometer tests to track performance in speedskating. Now, speedskaters all cross train on the bike and it's biomehcanically very similar in terms of muscles used, posture and many speedskaters switch to cyling (track or road) and often do well.

The tests showed exactly zero correlation with what was going on on the ice. No predictive qualities whatsoever. That is, changes in the bike test didn't give any predictive value about skating performance. And it's almost specific. But it turned out to be useless.

How does X-fit tell you anything about MMA fitness beyond some very very very general characteristics?
Unread 02-15-2010, 01:44 PM

Yeah it crossfit probably wont explain much in performance in other sports, but I was hoping for a case in common denominator that other forms of physical training for sports can be used in crossfit. I guess the point I was missing is that the converse isnt true. Being able to perform well in crossfit isnt in indicator that you have good strength and endurance for other sports
Unread 02-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Administrator

A point I made above.

Most high level athletes (certainly any of them in the mixed sports category who had a backgroun in strength and metabolic work) could own Crossfit in a few weeks of practice.

The opposite does not hold true, an 'elite crossfitter' could spend years of dedication to sport and not achieve the same level of performance EVER.
Unread 02-15-2010, 01:49 PM

Wow... I wish I could un-read that forum.

They remind me of hybridcar drivers.
Unread 02-15-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plzSirsomeMOAR View Post
Wow... I wish I could un-read that forum.

They remind me of hybridcar drivers.
lol, they werent lying when they said Crossfit turned into a cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McCallon
Lyle is very good as far as diet is concerned, but he really misses the boat on all his CF comments. This isn't at all uncommon. Top O-Lifters/PLers/Strongmen generally don't fully understand the philosophy behind CF.
Unread 02-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Yup. I understand the philosophy of crossfit completely: Glassman wanted to make a shedload of money. And that he did.

But when I read someone claim that Crossfit will take a 4' miler and make him slower, and take a top PL and make him weaker, I just laugh and move on. That and the fact that none of the rest of hteir claims are even remotely close to be real. 700 lb DL without training it? No Crossfitter has EVER done it, nor will they. Build more muscle than bodybuilding? Only women get any sort of hypertrohpy gains from it b/c fooling around with 95 lb powercleans is a training weight for a woman. The men never get anywhere. but they hang around to be around teh Xfit chicks.

but hey I've never given anybody rhabdo so I must not be hardcore enough to understand.
Unread 02-15-2010, 02:30 PM

The first one has been posted here before, but i couldn't find it on this site to link to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsTba...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgH_ZoMOht8

looks like there are a ton of these now...

(warning - R-rated language - not for the kids)
Unread 02-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Administrator

While I find the xtranormal stuff funny, let's let it die there. Thanks
Unread 02-15-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickone View Post
In case you haven't realized, lyle doesn't care if you agree with him or like him or whatever it may be in regards to the information he provides. He doesn't hold any emotional attachments to the facts so these types of threads on other forums are meaningless.

No, I haven't realized. I guess you did with you 50+ post. I'm a new jack here bro. 10+ post. I'll be more aware though. Bro.
Unread 02-15-2010, 02:43 PM

Here is a very drunk crossfit seminar. You believe this dude.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...nalPreview.mov