BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-08-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjack View Post
I'm 5'8. I am down almost 40 pounds from the beginning of the year.
Cool man.. keep it moving forward... abdominal fat is bad news
Unread 03-08-2013, 03:53 PM

@OP: With all due respect, I wouldn't be TOO concerned with muscle loss. You don't appear to have that much muscle on your frame to begin with (LBM of approx 149lbs), so I would probably start RFL as a Cat3 and roll with that for awhile until you get your bodyfat down to below 12% or so. Then, you can decide where you want to take things from that point. Get the RFL book, read it and you'll understand so much more about rapid fat loss, and NOT losing muscle while on it... Best of luck....

My RFL Log
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=21716

My new "Flexible" Diet Log (9/8/13)
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=26761
Unread 03-09-2013, 02:00 PM

@OP: Your DEXA results were very similar to mine although I am shorter and perhaps not as strong, plus a touch fatter. I'm on RFL now (17th day) and I'm expecting to have a better DEXA next time I go in.

As to "how can I be obese?" I am not saying you are obese (not for me to say) but I think that we become inured to our own sizes and to those around us over time, so that even "fat" people may seem "normal". If most everyone is "fat" then also everyone is "normal".

Also if the fat is visceral it has more dangerous hormonal impact on your body than does fat that is not visceral. Visceral fat is not benign dead weight, as far as I have read. It is active dead weight. It's like a cabal of anarchists plotting quietly in the corner of the cafe. They look harmless and have nice goatees and berets but eventually they will detonate and take the whole city block down with them.

I am sure that there are others who can expand on this more than I can and with more precision and less hyperbole.
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyguns18 View Post
@OP: With all due respect, I wouldn't be TOO concerned with muscle loss. You don't appear to have that much muscle on your frame to begin with (LBM of approx 149lbs)
My focus is not on gaining as much muscle as possible rather strength. So even if I don't have a lot of muscle, if I would lose a lot of it, I would certainly also a lose a lot of strength along with it.. which is exactly what I don't want.
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusMusculus View Post
As to "how can I be obese?" I am not saying you are obese (not for me to say) but I think that we become inured to our own sizes and to those around us over time, so that even "fat" people may seem "normal". If most everyone is "fat" then also everyone is "normal".
Yeah, makes sense.. in the end I guess obese just makes most people think of extremely overweight people.. the absolute extreme.
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:35 AM

I don't think you should be too much concerned about muscle/strength loss at those percentages of body fat. I dieted from around 120kg to 110kg in few months (aug-end of october), from around 30% to around 22-24% (granted I'm younger than you, 26) and my strength even increased a bit, and I certainly look better now. Keep training while maintaining weight on bar and it should be alright if you keep your diet in check (protein requirements for your weight).
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelw3 View Post
Yeah, makes sense.. in the end I guess obese just makes most people think of extremely overweight people.. the absolute extreme.
That's usually called morbidly obese.

But CLINICALLY, obesity is defined by BMI or body fat percentage. Weight per se isn't that relevant although it would be rare for someone to be low in weight and classify as obese by bodyfat percentage.

What i think is happening is that people are using the lay term or thought of what obese constitutes.