BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-05-2013, 05:02 PM

Default Putting together a diet adequate in vitamins/minerals

I have been trying to build myself a solid diet that includes at least 100% of the RDA of vitamins and minerals, and remains within my caloric needs (roughly 2200 cal). I started using fitday to track my diet as it is not necessarily unhealthy, but tends to be all over the place in terms of foods on a day to day basis.
Then I just thought about taking a multi and continuing on my current path and hoping that will make up the gaps. However, many multis contain low bioavailable vitamins and minerals (i.e. B12 is known to be very poorly absorbed as cyanocobalimin which is what every supplement uses) and in controlled trials of multivitamins the whole food always wins out.

Now using fitday, I noticed there is a large discrepancy between certain food labels and the values for the same food in Fitday. An example would be the yogurt I eat is Liberte Greek Yogurt with fruit. On the food label, calcium is 15% RDA but in Fitday yogurt with fruit is 23% RDA. I was just going to enter the food label as a custom food but the food label doesn't include folate, niacin, thiamine, etc. so now these values are missing from my log.

I think I am way over analyzing this whole thing, but I cannot be sure that the diet I have figured out even contains the nutrients in the levels Fitday says it does. According to Fitday right now I have an eating plan that provides 100%+ RDA on all the nutrients they list. Some are very close to 100% however and therefore if Fitday is not fully correct I could actually only be getting 85% or something.

Ultimately, am I being far too neurotic? How much does RDA matter in the scheme of things unless someone is showing clear signs of deficiency? Is FitDay close enough in it's estimates?

Thanks to anyone who was able to make it through reading this post.
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFFire View Post
I have been trying to build myself a solid diet that includes at least 100% of the RDA of vitamins and minerals, and remains within my caloric needs (roughly 2200 cal). I started using fitday to track my diet as it is not necessarily unhealthy, but tends to be all over the place in terms of foods on a day to day basis.
Then I just thought about taking a multi and continuing on my current path and hoping that will make up the gaps. However, many multis contain low bioavailable vitamins and minerals (i.e. B12 is known to be very poorly absorbed as cyanocobalimin which is what every supplement uses) and in controlled trials of multivitamins the whole food always wins out.

Now using fitday, I noticed there is a large discrepancy between certain food labels and the values for the same food in Fitday. An example would be the yogurt I eat is Liberte Greek Yogurt with fruit. On the food label, calcium is 15% RDA but in Fitday yogurt with fruit is 23% RDA. I was just going to enter the food label as a custom food but the food label doesn't include folate, niacin, thiamine, etc. so now these values are missing from my log.

I think I am way over analyzing this whole thing, but I cannot be sure that the diet I have figured out even contains the nutrients in the levels Fitday says it does. According to Fitday right now I have an eating plan that provides 100%+ RDA on all the nutrients they list. Some are very close to 100% however and therefore if Fitday is not fully correct I could actually only be getting 85% or something.

Ultimately, am I being far too neurotic? How much does RDA matter in the scheme of things unless someone is showing clear signs of deficiency? Is FitDay close enough in it's estimates?

Thanks to anyone who was able to make it through reading this post.
Yes.

Eating a relatively varied whole food diet with a multivitamin will usually take care of most things. If you don't eat iodized table salt, an iodine supplement may be a good idea. If you don't get a lot of calcium through diet (see limited dairy) a calcium supplement is probably a good idea. In fact I'd say just go ahead and add a calcium, magnesium and zinc supplement for good measure.

Don't know.

- Louis C. K.
Unread 03-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Abner

Yeah having it is natural.