BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-06-2013, 12:04 AM

Default Impact Of Planned Binge/Overfeeding On Diet

I'm not trying to advocate any bad eating habits or similar, but I've been wondering what sort of impact one or two days of overfeeding during the week would have on the system during a calorie restricted diet? I tried to do my homework on my own, but the only studies I could find were in the context of eating disorders (specifically women, too). For example, I'm chugging along eating at maintenance (perhaps a slight deficit), and then one evening I consume 5,000 calories above maintenance. What kind of physiological impact would this have on me in regards to fat gain/health in the short/long run?

Maybe someone can relate, but during the week I'll usually have one EXTREME long practice session (music theory), and in the past usually snacked on comfort foods to get me through the night. I haven't done this in 5 months, but once I reach my goal, I'd still like to indulge once or twice a week and not think about measuring every ounce of food, and hitting every macro. I'm wondering if this is a luxury I can afford if I'm perfect or near perfect with the remaining 5 days in the week. I may not care to be if they'll be consequences that'll separate me from my goal of maintaining 10% body fat year round. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:08 AM

In your example the clear benefit is psychological, which is of relative importance.
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:59 AM

'Planned binge' is an oxymoron.

I don't see any benefit to intentionally encouraging disordered eating patterns.

Physiologically speaking, if you eat 4-5 days at maintenance or *slightly* under and then massively overeat for two, you're going to gain fat.
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerd Diamond View Post
I'm not trying to advocate any bad eating habits or similar, but I've been wondering what sort of impact one or two days of overfeeding during the week would have on the system during a calorie restricted diet? I tried to do my homework on my own, but the only studies I could find were in the context of eating disorders (specifically women, too). For example, I'm chugging along eating at maintenance (perhaps a slight deficit), and then one evening I consume 5,000 calories above maintenance. What kind of physiological impact would this have on me in regards to fat gain/health in the short/long run?

Maybe someone can relate, but during the week I'll usually have one EXTREME long practice session (music theory), and in the past usually snacked on comfort foods to get me through the night. I haven't done this in 5 months, but once I reach my goal, I'd still like to indulge once or twice a week and not think about measuring every ounce of food, and hitting every macro. I'm wondering if this is a luxury I can afford if I'm perfect or near perfect with the remaining 5 days in the week. I may not care to be if they'll be consequences that'll separate me from my goal of maintaining 10% body fat year round. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
The body can compensate to a certain degree but a caloric surplus of 5000 will of course show up on the scale.

There are many approaches that can work but you can't just look at the physiological aspect you also have to look at the psychological one.

As a general approach being more strict 5-6 days per week and then relaxing a bit for 1-2 days can be a workable approach. But it can also be a bad way of doing things if it creates out of control binge eating with associated feeling of guilt.

My advice would be to try to find a balance, use a more flexible diet in general. With some experience you shouldn't have to weigh or count every calorie you eat just to maintain a certain bf %. Create maintainable eating habits that don't set you up for massive binges. You can't live every day of your life in 'diet mode'. So trying to be 'perfect' for 5 days just to 'indulge' for 2 days is a slippery slope.

Last edited by mrlakramondas : 03-06-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Shaw_I View Post
In your example the clear benefit is psychological, which is of relative importance.
It really depends on how you look at it, and how it effects the person. I find that if I allow myself to binge hard while dieting it can make it a lot easier to stop dieting altogether and go back to my old eating habits. I am extremely overweight and suffer from binge eating disorder though so this might not be the case for others that have never had a problem with binge eating and/or have never been obese.
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:59 AM

I don't plan binges per se... If I know I am going to a party or a beef and beer or something where there is going to be limitless good food, I reduce intake earlier in the day and get a workout in before hand to ensure my anabolic window is open.

For example, Super Bowl Sunday, I slept in and had a bacon and cheese omelette around 1 PM..... I probably pounded down around 2000 calories during the SB (buffalo chicken dip, wings, meatballs, salami and cheese and garlic roasted triscuits (those things are like crack) but I didnt go over my daily macros.

I don't think this is disordered behavior, I just try and plan it out LOL.
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:45 AM

Not hugely relevant to the OP's main concern, but how do you practice music theory? That sounds like an oxymoron. Are you sitting still and studying or moving around playing an instrument? I'm just curious.

I'm a musician, and if I'm in a dieting phase, I definitely find it helpful for my mental focus to relax the diet on the days of an important rehearsal or performance--I probably burn those extra calories through being jittery and anxious if not during the actual music making.
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
I don't plan binges per se... If I know I am going to a party or a beef and beer or something where there is going to be limitless good food, I reduce intake earlier in the day and get a workout in before hand to ensure my anabolic window is open.

For example, Super Bowl Sunday, I slept in and had a bacon and cheese omelette around 1 PM..... I probably pounded down around 2000 calories during the SB (buffalo chicken dip, wings, meatballs, salami and cheese and garlic roasted triscuits (those things are like crack) but I didnt go over my daily macros.

I don't think this is disordered behavior, I just try and plan it out LOL.
I do the same, I do a workout and get most of my protein in with not too many carbs and fats before going out and then plenty of room for 3 courses or whatever you fancy without worrying about it.
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:39 AM

Including depletion workouts a few days prior to refeeding seems to dramatically reduce the fat regain from said instances, particularly in people not below 12% or so body fat
Unread 03-06-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivetissimo View Post
Not hugely relevant to the OP's main concern, but how do you practice music theory? That sounds like an oxymoron. Are you sitting still and studying or moving around playing an instrument? I'm just curious.

I'm a musician, and if I'm in a dieting phase, I definitely find it helpful for my mental focus to relax the diet on the days of an important rehearsal or performance--I probably burn those extra calories through being jittery and anxious if not during the actual music making.
I've been playing guitar for 13 years, and the bulk of that was learning on my own. I practice guitar, and have only started applying theory to my playing, and its proving really helpful in developing my musical ideas. For example, learning how to play the major scale in intervals (3rds, 4ths, 6ths...etc), and applying that to a solo over G, and D7. My practice sessions usually start like that, and go into different directions whether I'm learning a new song or making a conscious effort to play different modes, scales, and apply them to a musical context. I wasn't really clear in my original post, but I didn't think I had to be. Keeping me honest is a good thing.

Like I said originally, I'm not advocating binging, per se, but letting myself consume a large amount of calories during a short period of time without feeling restricted is more what I'm talking about. I figure, if I know I'm going to be consuming calorie dense food for an evening out or a practice session or similar, I'll eighter ramp up activity during the day or make sure I meet my dietary protein requirements, and let everything else fall where it may.

Lyle talks about NEAT in some of his articles. I wonder how much of a calorie burn this really contributes to the days expenditure. Probably not much, but worth taking into account. Good luck with the diet, and the music! BTW, I live in Montreal, but take guitar lessons in NYC. You're lucky as hell to live in such an amazing music city.