BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Ketogenic Diet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 09-17-2017, 04:29 PM
Maxima Maxima is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3
Default Solution to regulating hormones on long term keto?

Ran multiple variations of ketogenic diets over the last 7 years (CKD/TKD/SKD) with phenomenal results and I have always noticed a decrease in both testosterone and libido. I'm aware libido is not necessarily directly related to testosterone.

LCHF diets have shown to increase SHBG while lowering testosterone over the long run.

My personal experience with CKD, 1-3 days of high carb refers do not seem to resolve the issue.

Additionally, I'm also extremely concerned with damaging thyroid glad on long term keto... Maybe I am coming to the sad conclusion that ketogenic diets are just not sustainable year round....
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 09-18-2017, 04:07 AM
Totentanz Totentanz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 96
Default

So you got blood tests before and during to confirm that testosterone dropped? Or is there some reason aside from libido that you believe testosterone went down?

Is there a valid reason you think a ketogenic diet is going to destroy your thyroid?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 09-18-2017, 07:48 AM
Maxima Maxima is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totentanz View Post
So you got blood tests before and during to confirm that testosterone dropped? Or is there some reason aside from libido that you believe testosterone went down?
No blood tests; although, I feel all of the symptoms of low T and long term studies I've seen on LCHF diets have lowered T levels. I understand libido and T aren't necessarily correlated, but libido also tanks while I'm in Ketosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totentanz View Post
Is there a valid reason you think a ketogenic diet is going to destroy your thyroid?
It's confirmed T3 drops in ketogenic / low carb dieting (I know these studies are all done at a caloric deficit -- would be neat to see them done at maintenance calorie level). I assume this lowering of T3 is normal and, maybe, this is "OK" due to the muscle sparing affect of low T3?

However, me being overcautious, I'm concerned with any long term altering of my thyroid (lowering T3), regardless of if it's considered "protective" or not.

--
I've also read that lower T3 is actually linked to longevity... Maybe I am sticking my head in too many "mainstream" articles on the Low T and Thyroid issue and have answered my own questions
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 09-18-2017, 07:50 AM
lylemcdonald lylemcdonald is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 927
Default

Don't do a ketogenic diet forever?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 09-18-2017, 07:54 AM
Maxima Maxima is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
Don't do a ketogenic diet forever?
Thanks for the reply. Coming to the sad conclusion it's just not sustainable long term.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 01-02-2018, 05:22 PM
w1cked w1cked is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,590
Default

Didnt wanna waste space for a new topic but something I wondered...i felt very mentally stable and calm doing skd and tkd, but eventually gym performance is meh. Oh highee carbs my performance rocks but hunger isnt as well regulated and concentration and mood isnt as good. How to balance this? Isocaloric setup ala Duchaine? Moderate carbs on training days and lower rest? Pick what's more important priority?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 01-03-2018, 08:53 AM
lylemcdonald lylemcdonald is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 927
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxima View Post
Ran multiple variations of ketogenic diets over the last 7 years (CKD/TKD/SKD) with phenomenal results and I have always noticed a decrease in both testosterone and libido. I'm aware libido is not necessarily directly related to testosterone.

LCHF diets have shown to increase SHBG while lowering testosterone over the long run.

My personal experience with CKD, 1-3 days of high carb refers do not seem to resolve the issue.

Additionally, I'm also extremely concerned with damaging thyroid glad on long term keto... Maybe I am coming to the sad conclusion that ketogenic diets are just not sustainable year round....
Don't do keto?

Seriously, how difficult is this solution?

I don't like this aspect of keto
So don't do it.

And you cannot damage the thyroid gland on the diet. The issue with T3 is cconversion in the liver.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 01-03-2018, 09:44 AM
DieselNY DieselNY is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 8
Default

Since I follow a CKD with weekly or bi-weekly carb ups (and have been for decades) I have not experienced any of these negatives.

It always comes down to the carbs....
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
"OG" Keto... doing CKD since the mid 1990s.
Low carb list-serv
BodyOpus
Lyle's CKD
Misc.Fitness.Weights
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 01-03-2018, 10:07 AM
w1cked w1cked is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselNY View Post
Since I follow a CKD with weekly or bi-weekly carb ups (and have been for decades) I have not experienced any of these negatives.

It always comes down to the carbs....
Do you experience mood or sleep issues
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 01-03-2018, 07:10 PM
DieselNY DieselNY is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Do you experience mood or sleep issues
No never, again carbs added in from time to time seem to solve many issues.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
"OG" Keto... doing CKD since the mid 1990s.
Low carb list-serv
BodyOpus
Lyle's CKD
Misc.Fitness.Weights
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.