BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-19-2017, 01:23 PM

Default 2018 to get fit and lean

Iím not going to write a lot (at least not now), I really didnít want to post this, only doing it for accountability but maybe in a few months Iíll start enjoying it, who knows?

Stats

Height: 5í11íí
Wrist: 6.9in
Ankle: 9.5in
LBM: 135-145 lbs

Been Ďliftingí and Ďdietingí since I was a teen, never really got anywhere but at least kept myself somewhat fit and healthy; more recently Ė last couple of years Ė spiralled down into depression, binge eating, sedentary life and general lack of discipline.

Goal

Hoping to use diet and exercising as a vehicle to turn around my entire life. Seriously though, I need (want) to shed fat. I want to get back to exercising effortlessly and deriving some pleasure from it. Then Iíd like to lose fat and become lean. If youíd ask me, Iíd say I want to be contest (or catwalk) ready in six months and maintain it indefinitely too. But being realistic, itíll be a miracle if Iím down to say 12% and eating healthy one year from now.

Training

I (used to) exercise with weights 4 times a week. I do this at home with dumbbells. Itís not a particularly balanced program and my strength is laughable; Iíd probably be classed as a novice in all lifts if I went to a gym and tried training with barbells. Not planning to change my workouts at the moment, Iíll just focus on completing them and trying to do all reps and tracking it.

Diet

I guess thatís why Iím here. Years ago, I bought Lyleís GFD and I still have it and itís probably the sanest approach to losing fat for me right now. I donít suppose Iíll need any of the techniques or tools right now, just adhering to a diet and not bingeing for a while would be excellent.
Unread 12-20-2017, 01:54 AM

Based on your stats: do you have enough muscle mass to be "catwalk" ready?

If at some point in your training career you want to add some (more) muscle, it would probably be smart to plan a bulk phase as well. Or at least get used to the idea mentally. When your body is in the beginner or early intermediate stage, you will benefit from a bulk compared to maintenance.
Unread 12-28-2017, 10:08 PM

Hi, thanks for commenting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
Based on your stats: do you have enough muscle mass to be "catwalk" ready?
I used to look good at 170lbs, didnít had much size but was far from emaciated, I looked fit. I suppose I was 15-17% body fat then. I believe if I got down to 160, Iíd look fairly lean and smallish and if I got down to ~150, Iíd look very lean but awfully small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
If at some point in your training career you want to add some (more) muscle, it would probably be smart to plan a bulk phase as well. Or at least get used to the idea mentally. When your body is in the beginner or early intermediate stage, you will benefit from a bulk compared to maintenance.
Yes, I want to add muscle and gain strength. Weighing 150lbs is far from my goal, it's just that I wanted to 'get this over with' you know, get 'lean' once and for all.

I figured I'd maintain that new condition for a couple of months, maybe more, to try to upregulate my hormones or other physiological aspects as well as to consolidate new eating habits. After that, I will probably attempt to 'bulk'.

But again, this is all conjectural. I say I'd like to get to 6-8%, but given my history if I manage to get down to a healthy 12% body fat - instead of getting even fatter and less active than in 2017 - and stay there for a while it will be a huge victory for me.
Unread 12-29-2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018_fitlean View Post
Hi, thanks for commenting!

I used to look good at 170lbs, didn’t had much size but was far from emaciated, I looked fit. I suppose I was 15-17% body fat then. I believe if I got down to 160, I’d look fairly lean and smallish and if I got down to ~150, I’d look very lean but awfully small.

Yes, I want to add muscle and gain strength. Weighing 150lbs is far from my goal, it's just that I wanted to 'get this over with' you know, get 'lean' once and for all.

I figured I'd maintain that new condition for a couple of months, maybe more, to try to upregulate my hormones or other physiological aspects as well as to consolidate new eating habits. After that, I will probably attempt to 'bulk'.

But again, this is all conjectural. I say I'd like to get to 6-8%, but given my history if I manage to get down to a healthy 12% body fat - instead of getting even fatter and less active than in 2017 - and stay there for a while it will be a huge victory for me.
Good luck and people are extremely helpful on the forum. Personally, I prefer your targeted approach of getting leaner first, than building mass. Many others will disagree (to each his/her own). A few things you may want to consider:

- 12% is a good starting goal and looks lean. Getting from 12% to a true 8% is an entirely different goal (6% - good luck). Experience, patience and meticulous habits are, generally, needed.

- Have a good estimate of your starting BF% (ask people here for help or go elsewhere to be tested) and expect the dieting process to be twice as long as originally anticipated. We all mess up and, again, patience (which is easier to conceptualize than practice) tends to be rewarded.

Good luck.

Last edited by patriots2 : 12-29-2017 at 12:25 AM.
Unread 01-05-2018, 07:55 AM

Initial weight/measurements

December 17, 2017

Weight: 195.0 lbs

neck 15.9
delts 47.2
chest 41.5
navel 35.8
waist 39.4
hips 41.7
arms 14.2
forearms 11.8
thighs 24.5
calves 16.3

December 24 197.4 2.4+
December 31 197.0 0.4-
Unread 01-05-2018, 08:13 AM

Sorry about the formatting, I'm using an old pc.

So basically, my weight is hovering around 195-200 lbs. Also, I stayed maybe 3 or 4 weeks without training, I don't know how that would impact the weight or the measurements.

Some of the measurements aren't very reliable like 'delts' because I'm taking it myself, but I've done this before and the overall results were consistent.

I also took 'before' pictures but to be honest, I'm only posting them when I get to 180 or 170 lbs and have a new set to compare as well. It's just too embarassing and pointless at the moment.

By the way, it made me realise that many of those guys on transformation pictures are NOT intentionally pushing their guts out. Your stomach just get somewhat distended when you've been eating too much for a fairly long period of time, I feel like that even after waking up.

@patriots2

You look very lean in your profile picture, congrats! Would you say that's around 8%?

And thinking back, when I got to 170 lbs I already felt fairly good about my body composition. I'm guessing 160 would get me close to 12%.