BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-11-2018, 05:01 PM

Default Stupid question - Caffeine in tea...

I know this is a stupid question, but I thought I would ask it anyways...

When making tea (or any other brewed caffeine substance I assume), does water quantity have anything to do with the caffeine content?

For example, if I take an 8oz mug, put a teabag in it, fill it with hot water, and let it steep for 5 minutes, will it have less caffeine than if I take a 24oz teapot, put a teabag in it, fill it with hot water, and let that steep for 5 minutes?

I am speaking of the total amount of caffeine in the 8oz quantity of tea vs the 24oz quantity of tea...it should be the same, right?

I know the amount of caffeine in tea is so small it doesn't make any real difference, but this is something I have thinking about as a thought experiment and cannot seem to find an answer anywhere else.

I await your sarcastic responses...
Unread 01-11-2018, 08:03 PM

So the tea bag has a set amount of tea within it and the water is the means by which you consume the contents of the tea bag

If all the contents of the tea bag are able to diffuse to the surrounding water without it being saturated first (i.e. the volume of water can only 'hold' a specific amount of tea molecules) , then whether you have 8oz or 24oz of water doesn't matter.

If 8oz of water is saturated with 3/4's of the tea bags contents, then you wouldn't be getting all of the caffeine unless you added a bit more water.

Does this make sense?
Unread 01-12-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightng View Post
So the tea bag has a set amount of tea within it and the water is the means by which you consume the contents of the tea bag

If all the contents of the tea bag are able to diffuse to the surrounding water without it being saturated first (i.e. the volume of water can only 'hold' a specific amount of tea molecules) , then whether you have 8oz or 24oz of water doesn't matter.

If 8oz of water is saturated with 3/4's of the tea bags contents, then you wouldn't be getting all of the caffeine unless you added a bit more water.

Does this make sense?
Yes, that does make sense.

Thanks
Unread 01-12-2018, 12:53 PM

It is not true that the "amount of caffeine in tea is small". Some types of tea have comparable or even higher caffeine content than coffee.
Unread 01-12-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
It is not true that the "amount of caffeine in tea is small". Some types of tea have comparable or even higher caffeine content than coffee.
Which tea(s) is that?
Unread 01-12-2018, 04:28 PM

Would be the same, only more diluted.
Unread 01-13-2018, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Any tea has higher amount of theanine (which has sedative effect), so it pretty much neglects any stimulant effect of caffeine.
Unread 01-13-2018, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
Any tea has higher amount of theanine (which has sedative effect), so it pretty much neglects any stimulant effect of caffeine.
Any negating effect would be based on the ratio of caffeine to theanine in that particular variety of tea. Some teas have extremely low to virtually no theanine content at all, e.g. many types of pu-erh.

If you are unaware that tea can have a massive effect as a stimulant, in the right quantities, then you just simply don't know enough about tea (which is a vast topic), neither have you experienced it first hand. I can guide you to generating this effect if you are interested. Let me know
Unread 01-13-2018, 04:22 AM

Let's have some tea over this.
Unread 01-13-2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Any negating effect would be based on the ratio of caffeine to theanine in that particular variety of tea. Some teas have extremely low to virtually no theanine content at all, e.g. many types of pu-erh.

If you are unaware that tea can have a massive effect as a stimulant, in the right quantities, then you just simply don't know enough about tea (which is a vast topic), neither have you experienced it first hand. I can guide you to generating this effect if you are interested. Let me know
I'll quote Lyle: "Tea also contains caffeine (but tends to lack the stimulant effects of caffeine due to a compound called theanine which has a calming effect) "

I'm interested, sure. Discuss.