BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-07-2019, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny marr View Post
The podcast is excellent congrats. Lyle mentioned at the beginning regarding exercise selection that the overhead press was not so good for hypertrophy. So which compound can replace the overhead press? Also the topic got me interested is there any other podcast or articles by Lyle on exercise selection? and how to play with them to brake plateaus or boredom?
I don't think I said that exactl. I htink it's overrated for most people.

A combination of properly done upright row and laterals will build you better delts than OHP for most people.

And I haven't done anything on exercise selection formally. Article series forthcoming. Might get into it when Jacob and I do a followup.

But basically it come down to this
1. Exercise must hit target mucsle FOR YOU
2. Exercise must be safe FOR YOU
3. Exercise must be able to be progressed safely FOR YOU
4. And of course most importantly: must look good on Instagram

Everything else is secondary to this. For some heavy compounds may fit them well, be progressable, etc. For others, they will be a waste of time.

So if you're short and/or have short femurs, and can squat very upright, squats may bea fantastic leg exercise for you
And if you are tall/have long femurs, it'll be nothing but a back exercise.

Some get a lot out of OHP, most IMO do not. Maybe on a good machine. The hammer OHP machine where the handles go aroudn your head is amazing. Not futzing around your head to get to lockout.

Same with bench: if you' have short arms and triceps don't fail, it may be fantastic for pecs. If not it's not.

But outside of a PL'er or Ol'er who must squat or do certain movements, hypertrophy is about finding the movement that generates high tension FOR YOU safely FOR YOU in a progressible fashion FOR YOU. Everything else is macho posturing.
Unread 08-07-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
I don't think I said that exactl. I htink it's overrated for most people.

A combination of properly done upright row and laterals will build you better delts than OHP for most people.

And I haven't done anything on exercise selection formally. Article series forthcoming. Might get into it when Jacob and I do a followup.

But basically it come down to this
1. Exercise must hit target mucsle FOR YOU
2. Exercise must be safe FOR YOU
3. Exercise must be able to be progressed safely FOR YOU
4. And of course most importantly: must look good on Instagram

Everything else is secondary to this. For some heavy compounds may fit them well, be progressable, etc. For others, they will be a waste of time.

So if you're short and/or have short femurs, and can squat very upright, squats may bea fantastic leg exercise for you
And if you are tall/have long femurs, it'll be nothing but a back exercise.

Some get a lot out of OHP, most IMO do not. Maybe on a good machine. The hammer OHP machine where the handles go aroudn your head is amazing. Not futzing around your head to get to lockout.

Same with bench: if you' have short arms and triceps don't fail, it may be fantastic for pecs. If not it's not.

But outside of a PL'er or Ol'er who must squat or do certain movements, hypertrophy is about finding the movement that generates high tension FOR YOU safely FOR YOU in a progressible fashion FOR YOU. Everything else is macho posturing.
Thanks for your detail explanation. I appreciate your time to reply. Looking forward for the article series or the podcast (I enjoy them more)