BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Protein Book
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-16-2009, 07:26 PM

Default Creatine Cycling Question

Hey Lyle I just read a good deal of the protien book specifically the nutrient timing section and the supplement chapter. My question is in regards to creatine cycling.

Dr. Cribb advocates a loading phase done for 3 days followed by 4 days off. He states that this will negate most the creatine receptors down regulating, which bot of you agree occurs following loading. Here is the article http://www.astss.co.uk/articles/opti...eatine-pt2.asp.

Also, you do note that following a loading phase there is down regulation, would his idea work.

I do understand he works for AST but his points seem to be on par with yours, but I'm not quite sure his dosing pattern would solve the problem. Any input would be appreciated.
Unread 08-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Cribb has apparently lost it. As I believe I state/reference in the book, the issue with creatine receptors or wahtever only occurs in animals. There is no need to cycle creatine.
Unread 08-16-2009, 10:44 PM

Yeah, apparently. So there is really no need to ever take off of creatine supplementation, especially after loading?
Unread 08-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Administrator

As a final comment, there has been some suggestion that creatine should be cycled, due to
a possible impact of creatine supplementation on the creatine transporter or on normal
synthesis. While creatine intake appears to downregulate the creatine transporter in
animals, this doesn’t appear to be the case in humans (92). Additionally, even if CM
supplementation downregulates the body’s normal production, this should be a non-issue
as long as a daily maintenance dose is used; above normal levels of creatine phosphate in
the muscles will be maintained.

92. Tarnopolsky, M. et. al. Acute and moderate-term creatine monohydrate
supplementation does not affect creatine transporter mRNA or protein content in either
young or elderly humans. Mol Cell Biochem. (2003) 244(1-2):159-66.