BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-02-2017, 06:07 PM

Default RFL - Cat 3 41 y/o female powerlifter

I'm sorry if this has been covered in another thread, I couldn't find one that seemed to pertain specifically to my situation...
As the subject line says, I'm a 41-year-old, female powerlifter, with 47% BF. In reading the PSMF book, I'm not entirely sure where I fit in the parameters. Much of the book seems to split dieters into lean/athletic or obese/sedentary.

I'm planning on using the PSMF diet, after it was researched and recommended by my coach, to achieve some pretty lofty goals. I hope to lose 87lbs in approximately 6-7 months, while at the same time adding 139lbs to my overall lift total, in hopes of qualifying for Nationals in 2018. I need to lose the weight so I can drop from the 84+kg weight class to the 84kg class where my qualifying total will be a lot more achievable. This will require that I strength train 3-4 days per week while on this cut.

I know my LBM is 140lbs and that equates to approx 560 calories of protein per day, plus all of the "free veggies" I want, but is there any additional information/guidelines you can add for my situation?
I am NOT looking for medical advice, simply hoping to clarify the structure of the diet for my stats.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give!
Unread 12-02-2017, 07:22 PM

A couple of things stand out to me:
  • Dieting 6-7 months
    Losing 87 lbs
    ADDING 139 lbs. to your total
    Competing in 2018 (how early?)

I'm no expert, but these sound like very ambitious goals. Do you also have a job and/or family and social life? I can't imagine being able to achieve all of that in such a short period of time. I've also heard that losing weight changes leverages and that this can lead to certain disadvantages from a strength perspective.

Like I said, I'm no expert, but maybe the best advice would be to compete later or to have slightly less ambitious goals.
Unread 12-02-2017, 08:01 PM

Thank you for the response - I know my goals are ambitious, which is why I'm looking at the PSMF diet. The strength total is pretty doable because I "only" need to add about 30 lbs to bench and squat and 60 to deadlift. I'm aiming for a qualifier sometime in the summer (June-August-ish). Nationals would be in October of 2018 but can't compete unless I hit both wt class and total by summer.
Regardless of whether I actually make both goals a reality, I'm going to have the mindset of success. If the worst case scenario is I lose a significant amount of weight during that time frame, but don't make the strength numbers, I'll be a happy camper. Already lost 85lbs over the last 15 months or so using IIFYM, reverse dieting, and a round of keto so I'm looking forward to the mental boost of the RFL/PSMF plan.
I've read Lyle's booklet on PSMF (all 93 pages of it) so I know I can sustain the plan for 8-12 weeks before needing to take a 2 week rest period. I hope to take the bulk of the bodyweight off, knowing it isn't the same indicator of fat loss but that's the criteria for competition, in the first round and should be able to transition into conventional keto/iifym to take off the rest in the right time frame. Going full PSMF for the entire six-seven months, even with appropriate breaks, isn't going to help my strength.

Oh, and I have a job where I set my own hours and I'm single with no kids.

Last edited by bgdawg76 : 12-02-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Unread 12-02-2017, 10:02 PM

Arrow

Honestly, not possible. Do the math and reconsider
Unread 12-03-2017, 11:58 AM

Just curious, how much has your strength gone up as you've lost the previous 85 lbs? Also, what is your training status. I had been assuming that you were advanced or later intermediate based on the fact that you were competing on the national level, but maybe I was wrong.

Also, it might come down to prioritizing one goal over the other. Weight loss versus strength gain and/or maintenance.
Unread 12-03-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgdawg76 View Post
........Already lost 85lbs over the last 15 months or so ....
That's incredible! Well done! Don't let people tell you what is or isn't possible. You've done it before you can do it again. Go for it and good luck. And I like what you said about having a 'mindset of success'.
Unread 12-03-2017, 06:56 PM

My strength has gone up since losing the weight. I was barely able to do 40lb dumbbell RDLs when I first started. My current 1RM: B 130lb/S 225lb/D 272lbs. I guess I would be considered an "early intermediate" in terms of training status. I'll be entering a new phase of programming using the Texas Method starting this Monday actually. And I agree, I'm going forward with an eye on both goals, but willing to prioritize weight loss over qualifying numbers.
Unread 12-03-2017, 06:57 PM

Raquel130 - Thank you SO much! <3