BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-29-2009, 05:06 PM

Default Powerblocks

Anyone use these things? Opinions? For various reasons, I may have to give up the gym membership and go back to working out at home. They are expensive, but space is tight and I don't want to invest in racks and barbell sets until I settle into a bigger home, and can build a dedicated gym. I was looking at grabbing a pair of the ones that go up to 130 lb per hand and a bench.

http://www.powerblock.com/

And yes, I know there are cheaper alternatives, but I need to keep things compact and convenient. The last time I tried to squeeze a squat rack and 300 lb Olympic weight set into my old apartment, it got ugly
Unread 11-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Pros are that they don't take up much space. The adjustability is nice too.

Cons are that, initially, they are pricey. But if you factor it against the cost of all the individual Db's, it actually works out pretty favorably.

They do have a different feel and balance than typical gym DB's. I can't describe it but would highly suggest you go to a store and check them out on some different movements.

If I were going to put together a home-gym, I'd probably go that route.

Mainly I'm mad I didn't think of it first. When I first saw them, I could only think "That's a brilliant idea, why didn't I invent it?"
Unread 11-29-2009, 05:34 PM

That compact form is what really attracts me to the product...that, and how easy it is to switch to a new weight (yeah, I'm lazy). Sticker shock for sure, but I think it would be a great investment in the long term, especially when I consider how much I give away to my gym each year. Will definitely give them a try at the store...the design is unique to say the least.

Thanks for the input, Lyle. And don't feel too bad, I think we all wonder why "we didn't think of it sooner"

Last edited by Radaar : 11-29-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Unread 12-03-2009, 12:39 PM

So, space is still tight at my place, but I have been tempted by an offer...I can get a bench and 200 lbs of plates for $100 (CAN), so maybe around 90 bucks American. Being the plates with the 1 inch holes, they are more compact than oly plates, and I can make 18 and 24" dumbbell handles for about 20 bucks a pair to accommodate more plates per handle...so it's got me reconsidering, since the powerblocks are about $418 for the base set at 50lbs per handle and then extra to take it up to 130 lbs per handle.

So, is there anything that I may be missing if I go the cheaper route, aside from the points already made? I still love how compact the powerblocks are, but the tightwad in me is starting to wonder if it's worth the extra cost, even though they are pretty sweet.
Unread 12-03-2009, 05:04 PM

Oh crap. I was going to suggest the 1-inch plates, and buying galvanized pipe segments from Home Depot, but I forgot all about it.

And now I remember you're also a fan of Ross's, so you're probably already familiar with homemade dumbbells.

I'd go that route if I were in your shoes, way more hardcore.
Unread 12-03-2009, 05:21 PM

I dunno about being hardcore...I just want my little gym to be comfortable to workout in. It's hard enough finding a place to hang my chin up bar around here, let alone making room for weights...Think I will go for the plates and homemade bars though...powerblocks are slick, but $100 bucks or so for the whole shebang appeals to my practical side at the moment. Thanks for thinking of the suggestion.
Unread 12-09-2009, 08:03 PM

You've probably already gone the $100 route, but you could always try Craigslist too. I got lucky and found my Powerblocks for $75 on there (they only go up to 45 lbs each, but, hey it's still a good deal).
Unread 12-09-2009, 08:21 PM

Yeah, the guy with the $100 set screwed me. I was ready and willing to pick them up on the weekend after talking to him throughout the week and he emails me back saying "I have someone coming to get them on Wed (today), but if they don't take them I will call you"...screw that...dude obviously doesn't know how to sell.

I have been checking craigslist, etc, but am getting kind of tired of the sellers. I had one guy lined up to show me a set of powerblocks and he all but disappeared on me. No clue why people post things if they have no ambition to sell them.
Unread 12-09-2009, 10:38 PM

For what it's worth, I really like my Powerblocks. As Lyle says, they have a different feel to them because of the shape, but I didn't find it hard to adjust to them. I actually prefer them now.
Unread 12-10-2009, 01:57 PM

You could always buy Olympic dumbells, get 8 25lb plates, 4-8 10lb plates, 4 5lb, and 4 2.5lb plates and create your own DSs. Get a couple quality spring collars and you're good to go. Way cheaper than Power Blocks(which I love and considered buying), and pretty quick to change out too. Will save you some cash. This will allow you to create small to 100+ lb DBs.

Many exercise options with the DB and straight bar set up. Even without a Power Rack, you can still get a good leg workout with DB Squats, Goblet Squats, Split Squats, and other lunge variations. Deads with bar or DBs too.

Hope that helps