BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Supplements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-02-2018, 06:44 AM

Default Collagen for joints?

Anyone well read on this topic? I got plenty of beef gelatin powder on hand I make jello with, worth trying?

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/105/1/136/4569849

Keith barr is fairly well regarded afaik. I think tipton or Phillip's have some work in this area as well?
Unread 12-02-2018, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Can't hurt, might help.
Unread 12-02-2018, 05:27 PM

Do you have to do the cardio or do you think just taking it like a multi v would be sufficient?
Unread 12-02-2018, 06:45 PM

I'm not sure theres not much to go on. I was thinking adding some to my pre workout shake an hour before lifting. Seems like exercising is necessary for the uptake. I guess I'll have to go by subjective joint iffiness a few weeks to assess the efficacy. Idk.
Unread 12-03-2018, 01:34 AM

IMO it's one of those things where, if you've got the issues, it's so cheap that why not just try it.
Unread 12-03-2018, 04:58 AM

I've had nice results and especially friend of mine who had a pec injury.

Taking 5-15 grams of gelatin (with around 250-500 mg of vitamin C) 60 minutes prior to skeletal loading might help prevent tendon issues.

I forgot why vitamin C goes with collagen tho. But Vitamin C is involved in collagen production or some crap. Having the necessary building blocks in the system when you stress it just makes sense.

It's interesting that collagen seems to have the same type of stat as bone where it's better to put a little stress more frequently than a lot all at once.

AFAIK, provision of any other protein source pre-training may be equally effective at stimulating soft tissue regeneration post impact exercise. It may be that collagen protein may allow for the lowest caloric value protein that stimulates soft tissue regeneration (due to the high glycine and proline content).

While I agree that any protein might work, in this case given the importance of those two specific aminos, it seems a lot more efficient to provide them.

You could also (if you have more serious injury like my friend had) eat a bunch of sugar free jello and then take a 5-10 minute walk. Repeat at 6 hour intervals. It worked for him.
Unread 12-03-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
I've had nice results and especially friend of mine who had a pec injury.

Taking 5-15 grams of gelatin (with around 250-500 mg of vitamin C) 60 minutes prior to skeletal loading might help prevent tendon issues.

I forgot why vitamin C goes with collagen tho. But Vitamin C is involved in collagen production or some crap. Having the necessary building blocks in the system when you stress it just makes sense.

It's interesting that collagen seems to have the same type of stat as bone where it's better to put a little stress more frequently than a lot all at once.

AFAIK, provision of any other protein source pre-training may be equally effective at stimulating soft tissue regeneration post impact exercise. It may be that collagen protein may allow for the lowest caloric value protein that stimulates soft tissue regeneration (due to the high glycine and proline content).

While I agree that any protein might work, in this case given the importance of those two specific aminos, it seems a lot more efficient to provide them.

You could also (if you have more serious injury like my friend had) eat a bunch of sugar free jello and then take a 5-10 minute walk. Repeat at 6 hour intervals. It worked for him.
Mind elaborating on your experience? I've looked into this in the past with recurring tennis elbow and trying to get rid of it for good. So it sounds like take the supplements prior to working out as well as possibly taking them then performing some walking for light stress.

From the study and what you've said, sounds like worth a try.
Unread 12-03-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg10587 View Post
Mind elaborating on your experience? I've looked into this in the past with recurring tennis elbow and trying to get rid of it for good. So it sounds like take the supplements prior to working out as well as possibly taking them then performing some walking for light stress.

From the study and what you've said, sounds like worth a try.
Nothing special, I just followed the protocol I described (I just did it pre-workout, I'm too lazy/don't have time to walk multiple times a day) and it helped with forearm tendinitis. YMMV, but nothing costs you to try. It's simple and cheap.
Unread 12-03-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
Nothing special, I just followed the protocol I described (I just did it pre-workout, I'm too lazy/don't have time to walk multiple times a day) and it helped with forearm tendinitis. YMMV, but nothing costs you to try. It's simple and cheap.
Cool Zleeko, thanks. Yeah for how cheap it is, will give it a shot.
Unread 12-03-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg10587 View Post
Cool Zleeko, thanks. Yeah for how cheap it is, will give it a shot.
X2. Gonna add in gelatin to my pre workout meal