BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-12-2019, 01:46 PM

i came down with a bug about a week into a diet/exercise routine... typical...

I was intentionally not doing anything keto-like or jumping into anything extreme to try to avoid getting sick. I got the flu last year and im not trying to go through that again.

Anyway, slept like 30 of the last 48 hours to fight it and bought some fluids.

I went ahead and did 3x15 pushups and cancelled my gym visit for today. Figure thats enough to get some reps in without taxing my system.

i felt very "heavy" doing pushups... realize i must be really out of shape... i do notice my arms are really small compared to normal and obv Im fatter than usual but still normally pushups are very "light" feeling for me.. like a warmup weight rather than an actual exercise

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 01-15-2019, 02:57 AM

If you'd been drinking as much as you say, you're probably in for a stretch of body weirdness. Alcohol dysregulates pretty much everything. Will take some time for your body to find a new equilibrium. Q
Unread 01-24-2019, 10:44 AM

Got lazy again and missed a bunch of days. My work got pushed up today so i had to cut workout short so i did kind of odd workout.

135x3x3 squat

135x1x3 bench

185x1x3 deadlift

Need to hit 2-3 more workouts to move up weights then will prob concentrate on fat loss a bit.

In the past Ive waited til March to focus on fat loss and regretted it.

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Unread 01-26-2019, 01:56 PM

holy crap... so soreness wasnt all that bad so i went to the gym today intending to pick up where i left off with squats/deadlift...

i did my usual warmup routine and then discovered the racks were full so i did some quick stretching and was gonna use a bicep curl bar to do a few warmup reps... i grabbed the 30 lbs and did about 3 reps all of which were the most unstable ive ever felt.... my legs were wobbling like crazy... i figured maybe it was just too light and i wasnt getting good balance so i switched to the 60 lb bar... i did 2-3 reps and all the sudden i felt the biggest quad cramps ever coming on... had to abort squats today for fear that i was gonna die if i tried to hit my working weights haha...

Any idea what would cause that? Is it because i did 3x3 my first workout instead of 3x5?

I did take 200mg of caffeine this morning which i believe can lead to cramping but that is my normal dosage so i doubt it was the only factor

My legs have felt extra DOMS'y since then... whereas they felt better than they usually do when i start a routine this morning

I did about an hour of walking yesterday (i realize thats more than recommmended but i had to blow off some steam) so i dont know if that contributed at all...if anything i would think that would help...

Anyway:

85 lbs x2 sets x5 reps on OHP

125 lbs x2 sets, x3 reps on Bench

And some scattered back/grip exercises like negative pullups, cable rows, etc.

Also, I dont recommend doing what i did with squats and modifying the Starting Stregnth program.. i could def feel a little soreness in my groin even from those limited warmup reps... just stick to the program and do the 3x5 until you feel the bar slowing down.

i don't know why we as unsuccessful gym people are so obsessed with modifying routines. Every single time I have done it I have regretted it within a week or so when I see the problems it generates whether it be plateuaing, injury, etc.

And i say this realizing i modified SS by performing Bench AND OHP instead of just alternating them between days lol. I really want ALL the DOMS out of the way by Feb 1st... I hate using baby weights the first 2-3 weeks of starting strength i was hoping i could just skip them since my layoff wasnt that long this past time.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 01-26-2019 at 02:06 PM. Reason: a
Unread 01-26-2019, 04:02 PM

Well since you asked.

My sense of you is that you don't truly enjoy lifting. Which is fine, a lot of people don't. But you're running a program that isn't going to be successful without strict adherence. Which generally means it won't be successful unless you either enjoy lifting, or have some other strong incentive to do what you need to do. You'll keep getting lazy - return to go, do not collect $200.

Why do you, as an unsuccessful gym person, keep trying to run the same program that's had fail as its outcome, over and over again?

My rec would be to run Lyle's beginner's full-body machine-based workout. If you were to manage to do that twice a week, your total volume of growth-stimulating sets would still be higher, at the end of a month, than you've managed with your aborted SS attempts over the past year or whatever. Whatever you do, understand that there're myriad ways to get bigger and stronger. Find a program that fits the facts of your lifestyle. You want to do barbell lifting, fine, find a coach who can drill you on the technique, until you have it down well enough to load. If the racks were full, why didn't you wait until someone was done, and say, "hey, sorry to bother you, but my body's telling me I'm doing something stupid right now. Mind watching me for a sec, and telling me why this doesn't feel right?"

The way warmups work is that they start messy and you groove until the movement is crisp. Then you add a little bit of weight and go through the same. Until you get to your work weight. It's totally normal to have **** reps when you start. That's why you warmup - to shake the stupid out of your body before you try to use it to lift something heavy.

Cramping can be anything. Mineral deficiency is a possibility, esp with regular alcohol consumption. My shoulder likes to cramp up sometimes, when I squat; I usually just rack the bar, flail my arm around, massage it a little, and try again. Rolling might help.
Unread 01-28-2019, 01:15 PM

I appreciate the response.

While I'm certainly into this more for the aesthetics and health benefits more than competitive nature i do "enjoy" lifting weights as a hobby.

While I've never been incredibly successful at maintaining a routine in my adult years, i was very disciplined as far as going to the gym in my 16-22 years... so i have a healthy appreciation of weight lifting.

The reason I always go back to starting strength is that i believe it's the best program for me. I've made significantly larger strength and aesthetics gains on that program than on any other program or freelancing routine I've tried on my own. I think for guys who aren't naturally strong (my untrained numbers are dramatically lower than most people's) that this routine is more efficient at producing gains than something with more volume or less weight. I have not responded very well to those programs in the past despite similar or better adherence.

I dont think the program is what's failed me at all.... substance abuse issues are the root of my gym adherence failures and mental fortitude is at the root of my susbtance abuse issues... if anything the gym routine is the best thing to counteract those issues...

As far as machines go I avoid them because i have a lot of prior injury history. Shoulder impingement, winging scapula (nerve damage), torn pectoral muscle, fractured growth plate in the knee, torn acl, etc... The machines really seem to produce a level of discomfort and result in injury/pain everytime. I think with my injuries that free weights are simply a better option because i can control my natural movement patterns.

As far as my technique goes Im not going to win any awards or anything but I think it's fairly solid at this point... even though my lifts are unimpressive from all the start/stopping, my technique i believe is fairly solid for a person lifting at such a low level.... i've definitely asked for my share of pointers but ive also read a ton of material and watched a ton of video demonstrations and refined my technique as Ive gone along. While i dont necessarily think my technique is terrific as far as maximum power efficiency, all things considered i think i do a pretty good job of lifting safely which is my primary concern.

I agree with all you said about the warmup reps... but this felt different... when i was squatting the 30 lb bar it felt like my legs were made of jello...like i was on a bosa ball or something.... id go down fine but on the way up my knees were wobbling... i took this as perhaps i needed one more day of recovery but i thought perhaps the weight was just too light... so i tried the 60 lb weight and hoenstly the cramp that i felt coming on scared me that i wasnt going to be able to stand back up.. it felt like a 9.5 on the richter scale of cramps. Now it never really developed into a full cramp, but the DOMS seemed to really set in after those warmup reps... i just thought it was interesting..not something id experienced really before

Workout today

135 lbs x 4 reps x 3 sets - squat

135 lbs x 3 reps x 3 sets - bench

195 lbs x 5 reps x 1 sets - deadlift

Then i tried implementing just hanging from the pullup bar as long as i could...read some good things about that healing your shoulders and decided to give it a try.. i dont see how it could hurt and seems like it might improve my notoriously weak grip strength.

Unread 01-29-2019, 02:31 AM

Addiction's rough, man. I've known too many lost causes to have anything to say about that one. Good luck.

Your injury issues are a good reason to get coaching. Your body will try to do all kinds of compensating as you load. And the last thing you want is to compound the ones you already have. I'd seek out someone with knowledge about these things. Jm2c
Unread 02-16-2019, 10:41 AM

Hey man, I've been following this thread on and off since 2013. Good to see you're still alive, but tbh I was disappointed and confused to see you had started drinking again. Not sure what kind of treatment program you were in or whether you have anyone who can help you with accountability buttttt I am hoping you're still working on sobriety as well as fitness. PM if you want encouragement. Rooting for you!!

SW1: 238 lbs at 5'7 (2013)
SW2: 242 (2015)
CW: ~160
GW: 138

Cat 2
Unread 02-20-2019, 09:01 AM

thanks. eh i like drinking what can i say...

Anyway, job search has been my main focus lately and i been using that as an excuse not to go to the gym when really i think it helps me stay on track so im restarting the routine...

yesterday i went back and i forgot to log it so ill do my best on remembering what i did

Squat: 3 sets, 4 reps, 135 lbs 100% sure thats accurate

Bench: 3 sets, 4-6 reps, 125 lbs i did more reps the 2nd and 3rd set

Deadlift 1 set, 195 lbs, 4 reps felt strain in my torn pec on last rep so stopped

chinups: 1... lol... wasnt gonna get too many more so i just did a slow negative

curls and back: just put a low weight on and grinded out as many reps as i could ~12 or so...

I really wanted to be a LOT thinner than this by March 1st so I think im gonna do a quick cut this week. I have some decent job prospects lined up, all of which would require a move so i feel like now is the time to run an Extreme Fat loss grind for a few days since it will be otugh to lose weight in march if anything pans out...

In years past i have started my cut in March and i ALWAYS regret not starting it earlier as im not quite where i want to be by Memorial Day.... so this year i think the right move is to shed like 5-7 lbs of fat between now and March 1st so I'm at least at a better starting point.

Unread 02-20-2019, 01:25 PM

Knocked out 45 min of cardio split between the recumbent bike, walking on treadmill, and short stairmaster...

legs were super sore already so im sure tomorrow will be worse.

bought a few carbs at the grocery store since i realize its too soon for me to jump into ERFL by tomorrow if im experiencing this much soreness from first lifting session back.

I find its absolutely pivotal to have them all out of the house before you start ERFL though otherwise the temptation is far too great

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 02-20-2019 at 01:25 PM. Reason: a