BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-05-2018, 09:42 AM

Default abnormal sweetener intake + edema/swelling/water retention

I went and got my bloods done a few weeks ago as well as a urine test and they show no evidence or reason as to why i have so much fluid build up in my body. I go days sometimes weeks looking really puffy around my eyes, chest, nipples, abdonimals, hips.. to then suddenly drop it all for another few weeks.. then the cycle repeats itself.

I told my doctor that my diet was on point. On reflection, i must have been fooling myself surely?

I know for a fact i intake obscene amounts of sweeteners ranging from sucralose, aspartame, glycerol, xylitol, malitol .. (the fact i know these names speaks for its self).. i easily get through a litre of diet drink daily.. have 3-5 cups of tea or coffee a day with three tea spoons of splenda in each.. 2-4 protein bars a day sometimes.. whey protein.. and other stuff give or take which are filled with sweeteners.

Now i know there's science behind sweeteners proving that they shouldn't be demonised and the stigma around it should stop.. but has anyone experienced a common theme of severe fluid retention when taking in a lot?

Many thanks

Last edited by Taytay100 : 01-05-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Unread 01-05-2018, 03:35 PM

I use lots of sucralose and aspartame and I don't retain excessive water as a result so I'd say it's probably the sugar alcohols that are the reason. Do you also use any hydrocolloids such as xanthan gum or guar gum? Maybe psyllium husks? These can cause massive water retention.
Unread 01-05-2018, 04:16 PM

Probably putting a lot of stress on the kidneys with the amount you intake
Unread 01-05-2018, 06:36 PM

I never noticed anything. Try cutting down, and you'll see if that's the problem. Maltitol sucks
Unread 01-05-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
I never noticed anything. Try cutting down, and you'll see if that's the problem. Maltitol sucks
I ate a trader joes chocolare bar (obviously the whole bar...thats a serving right) full of malitol then read up on it and expected to spend half a day on the toilet. Got lucky and just got a little gassy
Unread 01-06-2018, 08:42 AM

I don't think it's the soda. I have 48 to 60 oz. of diet soda a day, a liter is nothing.

I only have 1 Quest Bar each day though. Otherwise I'll use a couple stevia packets per day, and sugar free gum. I don't notice any bloating unless I eat/drink too much food/sodium and beer. I do have alot of gas, but I also have a high fiber/protein diet.

If I drink too much diet soda/chew too much sugar free gum at once I'll have some stomach discomfort.

In your case I'd try limiting the protein bars to 1 per day, and then add Stevia to your tea/coffee and see if the problem persists.
Unread 01-07-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
I don't think it's the soda. I have 48 to 60 oz. of diet soda a day, a liter is nothing.

I only have 1 Quest Bar each day though. Otherwise I'll use a couple stevia packets per day, and sugar free gum. I don't notice any bloating unless I eat/drink too much food/sodium and beer. I do have alot of gas, but I also have a high fiber/protein diet.

If I drink too much diet soda/chew too much sugar free gum at once I'll have some stomach discomfort.

In your case I'd try limiting the protein bars to 1 per day, and then add Stevia to your tea/coffee and see if the problem persists.
Thanks for this.

Iím the same as you. Iíve been having A LOT of diet drinks for years now with zero issue. Itís only since Iíve started to eat a copious amount of bars Iíve noticed a big water retention issue. Im going to eliminate them and see what happens