BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Rapid Fat Loss Handbook
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-03-2016, 11:54 AM

Default PSMF and avoiding illness

I'm currently in college and on the weekends I like to go out with my friends which inevitably leads me to consuming around maintenance. Due to this I have been trying to generate my entire deficit during the weekdays by doing something similar to the PSMF/Rapid Fat Loss as described in the book. With this said, I can't seem to go for a couple of weeks without contracting some sort of illness ( I currently have strep throat- not fun). I just don't know what the reason behind my incredibly weak immune system is, I eat my vegetables and take my multivitamin and fish oils habitually. One hypothesis I've had is that when I do this diet I try and use similar principles to UD2 in terms or depletion and carb up etc. and I've realized that in no situation am I consuming any appreciable amount of dietary fat. I know that in the book Lyle states that only the EFA are needed but I've heard that dietary fat maintains hormone and immune function, so maybe I just need to do PSMF with some added dietary fat? Any ideas are appreciated.
Unread 11-03-2016, 12:26 PM

What are you doing for lifting/cardio? I've seen this in people who try to do too much cardio/lifting during a RFL diet. Your best bet is to follow the activity guidelines in the book.
Unread 11-03-2016, 12:32 PM

Does this "going out" entail binge drinking? If so, you are consuming a horribly restrictive diet during the week, suppressing your immune system and then drinking on the weekend, suppressing the immune system further. Doesn't it just make sense you're going to get sick if you do this?

Now if by going out, you mean just going out for dinner, then I don't think there's a whole lot you can do to prevent getting sick. This diet is harsh on the immune system. Taking regular diet breaks has helped me. Also, if you're sick, for the love of God don't do a PSMF.
Unread 11-03-2016, 12:41 PM

Last year when I did PSMF I ended up getting the flu. It was awful I was in bed for about 10 days.

The good news was during that time I had no appetite so I lost loads of weight!
Unread 11-03-2016, 03:54 PM

I do the depletion workouts from UD2 once per week and I do two full body lifts per week, and as far cardio I just try and get 10k steps a day, and if I don't get 10k I'll take a walk to get to that number. As far as the drinking goes, yes sometimes I'll consume large amounts of alcohol but this is the main reason that I am trying to create my deficit during the week. I guess a different way to look at my question is: is there a way to create a large deficit without suppressing the immune system? I figured by doing something similar to PSMF and keeping cardio to a minimum I would have sufficient recovery but it hasn't been working.
Unread 11-03-2016, 04:08 PM
Banned

Look into glutamine. It may help your immune system. Dose 3-4 times a day together with 500mg vitamin C.

Additionally, I've had similar symptoms when running UD2.0. After the first depletion workout (Monday) I became ill. All Tuesday I felt like crap and didn't want to do the second depletion workout. However, I ended up doing it anyway and to my surprise I felt a lot better afterwards. I've experienced this phenomenon several times now. Mainly on extreme diets, but also when the first signs of a flu showed up. I'll call this mechanism: training induced flu reversal.

Last edited by semipartial : 11-03-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Unread 11-03-2016, 04:30 PM

I've heard some good things about glutamine, I think I'm going to add that into my daily supplements when on the extremely low calories.
Unread 11-25-2016, 11:53 AM

If i am not feeling sick does it mean i am doing something in RFL/UD wrong?

I am taking a bit longer rest periods in the depletion workout (60sec after first set, then 90ish sec before the 3d set), does this mean i am doing the depletion wrong? Or is the total volume (doing all the sets) in the appropriate rep-range/tempo more important than rest periods?