BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > UD 2.0
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-04-2016, 08:32 PM

Smile Starting on Monday; Please critique my plan and provide feedback.

Okay so I'm starting UD 2.0 on Monday, following the morning-training variation (as I can only train during the AM). I wanted to make this post to go through my plan for each day to check with the more-experienced community that I've understood the book and am doing it right.
Stats:
180cm, 73kg at about 12% body fat.

Goals: 7 weeks, drop 2%-4% bf

Monday + Tuesday
Low carb (~50g), protein at 1.5g/lb (~200g), fat ~30g

Depletion training: 6 sets per body part, 15-20 reps.

As I'll be training in the mornings, all I plan on having before the workouts are some BCAA's, creatine and coffee. Post-training and until bed I plan on eating pretty much just meat and fibrous vegetables (Broccoli, Cauliflower etc).

Wednesday + Thursday
Nutritionally the same, but I'll be doing ~45 minutes of moderate cardio in the morning.

Friday
Pre-workout - 15g Whey, 40g dex/malto, 5g creatine

Complete tension workout

Post-workout - 50g Whey, 150g dex/maltodextrin

Keep protein at 1g/lb and fats low

Saturday
Have last carb/protein meal 2 hrs before workout

Pre-workout - 15g Whey, 40g dex/malto, 5g creatine

Power Workout - Consume 40g dex/malto during workout

Total carbs to be consumed in 24h = ~800g

800g - (pre [Fri] + post + pre [Sat] + Intra [Sat]) = 530g between Fri and Sat morning

As I am gluten intolerant, I plan on consuming my 530g of carbs from mainly rice, GF bread, GF pasta and Oats.

Remainder of Saturday and Sunday = Variable/normal diet, tapering carbs off towards the end of Sunday night.

How does that look? I'm *pretty* confident i've followed the book here, but may have missed something.

My questions though:

1) Lyle says after the "power" workout to consume "my regular post workout shake of carbs and protein" - what does that mean? As in, 15g whey/30g carbs, or another of the large 50g/150g shakes?

2) All of the pre-intra-post workout carbs over those Friday and Saturday workouts. Those carbs are to be subtracted from my total (800g) yes?

I'm really looking forward to this. I have experience with depletion full body workouts, strict Keto dieting, fasting etc. I am used to discomfort, so really want to nail the plan prior to Monday.

Thank you in advance for any input/feedback provided.
Unread 11-05-2016, 06:46 AM

Sorry, it wasn't clear in my first post, but I am consuming my 800g carbohydrates between pre-workout on Friday to post-workout Saturday.
Unread 11-05-2016, 08:18 AM

No need for the BCAAs and creatine on days 1 & 2.

To answers your questions:
1. Normal when not on UD2. I do something like 50g whey & dextrose.
2. Yes for Friday. Saturday is questionable, but I would say if you wake up and still have one more carb-load meal and hit 800g, then do a pre-WO shake I would start to count that against your day 6 macros.
Unread 11-05-2016, 09:30 AM
Banned

Don't use creatine on the first 3.5 days as LigthCrow mentions. The why's are addressed explicitly in the book.

Drop the dextrose on your pre workout drink on Friday. Either replace it with fructose or 'normal' sugar. You want to replenish the liver, you don't want the replenish the muscles.

Last edited by semipartial : 11-05-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Unread 11-05-2016, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the responses.

1) Will drop the BCAA's. Just a habit i've been in with training fasted.

2) I've just re-read the book and I wouldn't say that the "why's" of not-consuming creatine are explicitly stated (there's one sentence addressing this on P.43 but it does not discuss creatine supplementation). However, the "why's" of loading on creatine are. Either way, will take your advice and omit until the carb-up phase.

3) Right, 2 pieces of fruit with whey or protein bar.

I'll amend my original post with these changes. I'll also post up what i'm planning on my workouts being later today. Thanks heaps for your help.

Edit: Seems I cannot edit my OP. I'll post my workouts below later today.

Last edited by Cortic : 11-05-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Unread 11-05-2016, 05:48 PM

Another question: I'm mapping out my week and had a thought. As Mon/Tue are weights and Wed/Thurs Cardio, could I not split this to Mon/Wed Weights and Tue/Thurs cardio? Would it not achieve the same results, except I would have an extra 24h of recovery?
Unread 11-06-2016, 03:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortic View Post
2) I've just re-read the book and I wouldn't say that the "why's" of not-consuming creatine are explicitly stated (there's one sentence addressing this on P.43 but it does not discuss creatine supplementation). However, the "why's" of loading on creatine are. Either way, will take your advice and omit until the carb-up phase.
Sorry about that. Well, at least you verified that it's the right thing to do, because, you know, Lyle said so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortic View Post
Another question: I'm mapping out my week and had a thought. As Mon/Tue are weights and Wed/Thurs Cardio, could I not split this to Mon/Wed Weights and Tue/Thurs cardio? Would it not achieve the same results, except I would have an extra 24h of recovery?
No, definitely not. I'm not going to say that it's in the book (because I'm not sure), but the sooner you're depleted, the better. On top of my mind: if the body is depleted of glycogen, more energy is used from fatty acids. Either perform the complete depletion training on Monday (which is probably hell times a million) or use the recommended 2 days.
Unread 11-06-2016, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semipartial View Post
but the sooner you're depleted, the better. On top of my mind: if the body is depleted of glycogen, more energy is used from fatty acids. Either perform the complete depletion training on Monday (which is probably hell times a million) or use the recommended 2 days.
Thanks Semi, that makes sense to me.

Here are my planned workouts for Mon/Tue. If there's any glaring issues, please let me know. I've tried to incorporate different movement patterns over both days, and using exercises which are "safer" for depletion

Monday

Leg Press Machine 6x15-20
Seated Leg Curl Machine 6x15-20
Chest Press Machine 6x15-20
Wide-Grip Overhand Lat Pulldown 6x15-20
Machine Shoulder Press 6x15-20
Calf-Raise on the Leg Press Machine 6x15-20
Dumbbell Curl 4x15-20
Cable Tricep Pressdown 4x 15-20

Tuesday

Leg Extension Machine 6x15-20
Standing Leg Curl on Leg Ext. Machine 6x15-20
Inc DB Bench Press 6x15-20
Machine (or Cable) Seated Row 6x15-20
Lateral Raise 6x15-20
Seated Calf Raise 6x15-20
EZ Bar Curl 4x15-20
DB Overhead Tricep Ext 4x15-20
Unread 11-06-2016, 03:59 AM
Banned

I know that a routine cannot be perfect, but here are a few things to think about:
- The volume of your front delts is pretty high (18 sets). Especially on monday. Optionally, you can swap the shoulder press with side delt raises, since side delts only get a volume of 6 sets.
- Because leg press works the glutes and leg extension doesn't, it may be a good idea to swap leg extension with leg press on Tuesday.
- A few exercises incorporate dumbbells/barbells. As you know, you will probably not use the same weight across all sets. If possible, take all the weights you will need upfront and make sure that changing weights does not take longer than the required pause in between sets. If in doubt, swap the exercise with a machine.
- Where are the abs?

Finally, something to think about:
You can choose to do 6 sets in a row and continue to the next exercise. You can also perform 3 sets in a row and perform the circuit 2 times. In my experience, performing the circuit 2 times allows for more weight to be used, but results in more rest for each muscle group. I'm not sure what's optimal.
Unread 11-06-2016, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semipartial
- The volume of your front delts is pretty high (18 sets). Especially on Monday. Optionally, you can swap the shoulder press with side delt raises, since side delts only get a volume of 6 sets.
If I swap for Side Delt Raises, i'll be doing the same exercise two days in a row. Maybe a better option would be rear delt on Mon and side delt on Tue.

Quote:
- Because leg press works the glutes and leg extension doesn't, it may be a good idea to swap leg extension with leg press on Tuesday.
Could do. Or, I could swap standing leg. curl for something like a glutes hyper or a RDL with dumbbells

Quote:
- Where are the abs?
They weren't mentioned in the book as important, so I thought they would get enough work from the other exercises.

Quote:
Finally, something to think about:
You can choose to do 6 sets in a row and continue to the next exercise. You can also perform 3 sets in a row and perform the circuit 2 times. In my experience, performing the circuit 2 times allows for more weight to be used, but results in more rest for each muscle group. I'm not sure what's optimal.
Yep as per the instructions in the book, I had planned to do this.