BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 08-16-2018, 06:35 AM

Default New Berkhan Book Out Today

I bought it, foreword is by Alan Aragon so I'm intrigued.

Purchased it but obviously haven't read it yet.
Unread 08-16-2018, 07:31 AM

Meh, he's probably going to talk about IF'ing and RPT, methods that people have known about long before Martin became "guru" and reinvented the wheel.
Unread 08-16-2018, 12:51 PM

^this. I doubt theres anything there you cant get from his articles. That being said I used LG and rpt for my first real cut and found it very time effective in grad school
Unread 08-16-2018, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Based on what I'm seeing about it, it's half his personal journey and teh rest is the most generic crap (lots of protein, meal frequency doesn't matter, caffeine, weight training) ever.

This is not the Leangains book. This is a boring fat loss book.
Unread 08-16-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
Based on what I'm seeing about it, it's half his personal journey and teh rest is the most generic crap (lots of protein, meal frequency doesn't matter, caffeine, weight training) ever.

This is not the Leangains book. This is a boring fat loss book.
This may be exactly what youíre saying but thereís nothing on bulking. Itís all fat loss. Feels like thereís a couple chapters on getting ďlean gainsĒ that are missing.
Unread 08-17-2018, 06:55 AM

Read the foreword, preface and part of the first chapter so far.

Aragon had a heap of praise and respect for Berkhan. He apparently had a huge part in editing it.

So far just Martinís life story which is actually interesting for me on a personal level. I can empathize with him because weíre the same age and had an identical path in terms of fitness. From Beyond Brawn as a starting point to the Cyberpump forums which leads to Lyleís work on the Ketogenic Diet.

Iím sure the next part will be about his beginnings with IF and his experience with this forum back in 2006/07.
Unread 08-17-2018, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Half of the reviews are like

"Best part of this book is Martin's life story"

Is this the Leangains Autbiography?
Unread 08-17-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
Half of the reviews are like

"Best part of this book is Martin's life story"

Is this the Leangains Autbiography?
Iíll post something after Iíve read a good chunk or just finished it. If itís just his life story Iím curious why Alan endorsed it. Heís usually a no BS guy.
Unread 08-17-2018, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
Iíll post something after Iíve read a good chunk or just finished it. If itís just his life story Iím curious why Alan endorsed it. Heís usually a no BS guy.
Based on what I've heard it
martin's lifestory
protein is good, resistance training is good, caffeine is good
a chapter of recipes

This is not the Leangains book. this is a generic crapped out diet book with nothing new (or that hasn't been written about better before) taht sounds like it could be a pamphlet

It doesn't even talk about IF, jsut that meal frequency doesn't matter.

Martin made his freaking career on IF and the ability to gain msucle while staying lean. And this book is clearly trying to succeed on that. And has nothing to do with either.

I'll still read it because that is what I do. But this sounds like utter garbage, nothing but a lame cash grab based on "I'm buff and you know this name"
Unread 08-17-2018, 12:01 PM

I hope Martin is getting a cut from Beyond Brawn sales because with the way he pimped that book during his life story I expect sales to go up from it.

He did mention his days on the Monkey Island when he first came around - he referred to it as Lyle McDonald's forum.

Only part really about bulking was the big bulk he tracked way back on the Island right after he first showed up with his original IF cut results. Even then he would leave the reader assuming he gained 14 pounds in a few months from the IF magic. He didn't even address how he trained or ate, or the fact some was diet rebound and fat gain like I remember.
Closed Thread