BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-28-2011, 08:56 AM

Default Faith and Patience

I've read many threads where adherence is described as a critical component in a fat loss, re-composition, strength, etc program.

It seems to me that two additional key components are faith and patience (I'm certain there are more, but these jump out at me, albeit they are very closely related). If you were to draw out a triangle and put long term and sustained fat loss in the middle (as a goal) and at the three points place the words Adherence, Faith, and Patience, I would submit to you that if one of those three elements is missing, you would not succeed in a long term and sustained fat loss goal.

For you all who have been at this for a while and have been successful in the long term, could you please share examples of challenges you've faced and how you overcame them regarding:

-Adherence (e.g. frequent travel for work, unpredictable work hours, awkward social situations where you're the only one not eating or eating little, eating differently than your family)
-Faith (e.g. Sometimes you wonder if it's worth the effort or if you're really capable of achieving what seems like such a distant goal)
-Patience (e.g. Despite being constantly bombarded with new information, you give your chosen approach sufficient time to run its course and allow for objective assessment)
Unread 05-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12914 View Post
-Adherence

-Faith

-Patience
Good points.

To add to this I think all are driven by the Goal(s). Without a goal I think the above three tend to break down and old pattern emerge.

But even the same goal can mean totally different things to different people.

An example would be Fat Loss to the person wanting to lose 5-10 vanity pounds and the person needing to lost 100+lbs. Same general goal but the intensity of your three noted points would be very different.

Same can be said for goal of muscle gain, increase endurance, etc.

To add to all this the goal can change.

But yes, with a goal in mind you need believe what you are doing will work, actually work it, then give it time to work.

Seems like it should be such a simple thing.
Unread 05-28-2011, 09:55 AM
Banned

Of course, faith and patience are mostly important as to how they impact adherence. You lose faith or get impatient, and you stop adhering to your plan.

One thing I've noticed on the log and other forums, some folks also have unrealistic expectations, and a lack of appreciation for water weight, and the combination leads to losing faith, getting impatient, and ceasing to adhere to the plan.
Unread 05-28-2011, 10:03 AM

And you need to keep the motivation flame consistently.
Unread 06-02-2011, 10:45 AM

I'd say the key component is faith. Patience and adherence are just two of the many guises via which faith manifests itself.
Unread 06-02-2011, 12:11 PM

I don't think faith has anything to do with it... you can have faith in it all you want, but if your always eating to much, it won't happen.

The way I think about it, it's that your changing your body one cell at a time, and you have a gazillion of them to change, so it will take time.
If on the grand scheme of things your doing more good moves than bad moves, your going to achieve your goals.
And if that does not work, re-evaluate what you know, since it's mostly based on assumptions (for most of us), and when you assume something it makes an I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post. out of you and me...
Unread 06-02-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vali View Post
I don't think faith has anything to do with it... you can have faith in it all you want, but if your always eating to much, it won't happen.

The way I think about it, it's that your changing your body one cell at a time, and you have a gazillion of them to change, so it will take time.
If on the grand scheme of things your doing more good moves than bad moves, your going to achieve your goals.
And if that does not work, re-evaluate what you know, since it's mostly based on assumptions (for most of us), and when you assume something it makes an I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post. out of you and me...
I disagree - if you have faith in what you are doing - I.E. eating less or exercising more then you should have faith that it should work.
Unread 06-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Banned

I think faith is irrelevant, as long as you have adherence.
Unread 06-02-2011, 12:27 PM

Thinking about yourself in the future with your body the way you want helps a lot. Realizing food doesn't deserve that much love helps too.
Unread 06-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc View Post
I think faith is irrelevant, as long as you have adherence.
One can lead to the other.