BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-03-2018, 11:25 AM

Default Yet another fad?

Has anyone noticed a newfound bandwagon of fasting these days? Not talking about warrior diet/leangains/adf but people fasting for days on end? I quickly perused some sources and Jason Fung and some mice studies by Dr Walter Longo seem to be a lot of the motivation for it. Is this the pendulum swinging the other way from eating 6x a day or...what's going on?

Also a host of other bizzare stuff like 'dry fasting', which you'd think is just skipping water but also not washing/brushing/etc whilst in the fasted mode?
Unread 10-03-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Also a host of other bizzare stuff like 'dry fasting', which you'd think is just skipping water but also not washing/brushing/etc whilst in the fasted mode?
It’s the pendulum swinging the other way from “clean” eating.
Unread 10-03-2018, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Has anyone noticed a newfound bandwagon of fasting these days? Not talking about warrior diet/leangains/adf but people fasting for days on end? I quickly perused some sources and Jason Fung and some mice studies by Dr Walter Longo seem to be a lot of the motivation for it. Is this the pendulum swinging the other way from eating 6x a day or...what's going on?

Yes. Because the Internet is full of dumb. We even had a guy on here asking How long can I not eat for?

WHY? JUST WHY?
Unread 10-03-2018, 06:47 PM

How long can I not brush my teeth for?
Unread 10-03-2018, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
It’s the pendulum swinging the other way from “clean” eating.
Umm, not even remotely close to a good comparison.
Unread 10-04-2018, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
Yes. Because the Internet is full of dumb. We even had a guy on here asking How long can I not eat for?

WHY? JUST WHY?
I think for some people it can be easier to not eat at all for periods of time than to restrict eating all the time. Sometimes I find it easier to just say to myself "I'm not eating at all today" than to actually start eating and stop myself from eating too much. And then you can actually eat a bit more to make up for the day you didn't eat. That is how I see it.
Unread 10-04-2018, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel View Post
I think for some people it can be easier to not eat at all for periods of time than to restrict eating all the time. Sometimes I find it easier to just say to myself "I'm not eating at all today" than to actually start eating and stop myself from eating too much. And then you can actually eat a bit more to make up for the day you didn't eat. That is how I see it.
Your Post's context was about gaining lean mass. Not to emulate Gandhi. And your solution was to NOT eat
Think about this for five minutes. Barring the obvious answer, you really need to dig into your relationship with eating if it means its easier to fast than even have a remote semblance of an appropriate intake.

Last edited by w1cked : 10-04-2018 at 03:55 AM.
Unread 10-04-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Barring the obvious answer, you really need to dig into your relationship with eating if it means its easier to fast than even have a remote semblance of an appropriate intake.
I'm quite certain my binge eating disorder is clinical though I have never tried to get it diagnosed. But yeah, my relationship with food is bad. I am trying to improve it. Mindful eating and a technique I picked up from a 5th century Sri Lankan Buddhist text called the visuddhimagga is helpful. I believe it is called meditation on the vileness of food, and basically it is a reflection while you eat on how although the food looks good on the plate, and tastes good in your mouth, in actuality it becomes disgusting within seconds of ingesting it. Like even if you chewed up the most delicious food 3 times and spit it back out it becomes disgusting to look at. And the further down the food goes the worse it becomes. I think it is helpful in breaking my attachment to food.

This video helps showing the digestion of food; it is absolutely disgusting lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QYwscALNng
Unread 10-04-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
Umm, not even remotely close to a good comparison.
It was a joke aimed at the part bolded above about not washing and brushing while fasted.
Unread 10-04-2018, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel View Post
Read what the question actually is.