BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-13-2018, 07:39 PM

Default Increasing Strength Without Adding Mass

Not that anyone here is trying to do that.

Reasonably interesting podcast...skip to an hour in for the nerdy stuff about IF/rapamycin.

Around 1:27 there is a discussion about training for speed and targeting an increase in strength without an increase in body weight.

Cliffs: says skip the negative phase of the lift and you can increase volume/strength without building muscle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP1NA5f4LfE

Can't imagine commercial gyms being okay with this though.
Unread 06-19-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly70 View Post
Cliffs: says skip the negative phase of the lift and you can increase volume/strength without building muscle
i feel like you would still build muscle mass this way. strength training is strength training and eating dictates growth. so to get stronger without getting bigger would mean to strength train without consuming a surplus of calories, no?
Unread 06-20-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triliad View Post
i feel like you would still build muscle mass this way. strength training is strength training and eating dictates growth. so to get stronger without getting bigger would mean to strength train without consuming a surplus of calories, no?
Been a minute since I watched this but I believe that the line went something like by skipping the lowering phase of the deadlift you avoid creating the micro tears in the muscle necessary to create growth/IOW repair.

In context it was training for competitive cyclists (or runners...mentioned both) and the idea was they were doing something like 90% of max deads 3 X 3 every day and then following that with some word my brain just won't retrieve right now...first word for the metal boxes that you jump on.

I'll probably remember some time or other randomly when it is too late to edit.

Nutrition was not mentioned either way.

Aha...I think it's plyometrics...said that they could jump higher after doing the pull and drop deadlifts.

In before the lockout.
Unread 06-21-2018, 11:45 AM

^you are thinking of the 'contrast method'
Unread 06-22-2018, 08:19 AM

Sounds like a massive pain and would be rather dangerous unless you have a dedicated helper or spotter.

People on Rogan's podcasts are a bit out there. Are there any examples of this working?
Unread 06-22-2018, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly70 View Post
Not that anyone here is trying to do that.

Reasonably interesting podcast...skip to an hour in for the nerdy stuff about IF/rapamycin.

Around 1:27 there is a discussion about training for speed and targeting an increase in strength without an increase in body weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP1NA5f4LfE

Can't imagine commercial gyms being okay with this though.
Some work has shown taht if you match volume with pure concentric work, you get similar growth to combined con/ecc so it's not that simple.

Muscle damage is also, at most, about a quaternary factor in growth. It might be useful but it is by no means required.