BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-12-2017, 05:16 PM

Came in at 8.2% dexa, 7% calipers and 4% bia (joke). My thoughts are they all underestimated bf% and the true measurement is more like 11-12%.
Unread 11-12-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
I just checked my scan, and it used the NHANES method. By that method, a male bodybuilder is ~10%. I was 14.2% in 2013, and earlier this year 14.4%. Back in 2013 my trunk (upper abs and chest I believe) were the leanest at 12%.

That makes more sense.
Test taken is same measured (nhanes) as alachuetej took.
Unread 11-13-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriots2 View Post
Test taken is same measured (nhanes) as alachuetej took.
So you're at a stage ready bodyfat level?
Unread 11-16-2017, 10:40 AM

@patriots2

Wouldn't let me send you a PM, so here's my response to yours.

If you're coming in at 8.2% using the Nhanes method, that's about as lean as you can get.

We'll ignore the fact that DEXA, while the "Gold standard", still has a fair amount of error.

Personally I think you way overestimate body fat, just my personal opinion. None of it matters, if you're happy with the way you look, then that's all that matters.

Based on your avatar you're definitely 6 - 8% (when I say body fat percentages I just go by what the internet would consider a certain percentage, since there's no true way to accurately measure body fat short of dissection and MAYBE a 4 compartment model DEXA scan).

I'll see if I can dig up a pic from when I DEXA'd with the Nhanes at 14.2% (which is actually 9.2%, which means you're actually at 4.2%).

I stayed that way for about two years, constantly trying to drive my body fat down, because I was never "lean enough".

I ended up losing about 8ish pounds of muscle, never got leaner (maybe slightly at some point), and crashed my endocrine system. Testosterone fell to 158, <300 is considered hypogonadism.
Unread 11-18-2017, 08:13 AM

Default Dexa - Lean readings underestimate bodyfat to greater degree than higher readings.

paper indicates dexa scan underestimates body fat as compared to 4 component scan. Inaccuracy is greater the leaner one is. It’s interesting that a dexa reading at 30% is more accurate than 10%.

DOI: 10.1152/japplphysiol.00436.2002 Source: PubMed

Hypothetically - if dexa has you 10%, you could be 12-13%, with even higher margin for sub 10% reading. Go figure with all the 10% contest lean reading we see and hear about.

Last edited by patriots2 : 11-18-2017 at 08:27 AM.