BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Applied Nutrition for Mixed Sports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-30-2010, 10:17 AM

Default Female BMR question, is it allowed or does it have to be product specific?

Hi,

I dont have any products, ripped or otherwise. I just love the site, the research reviews and shamefully use it as a professional reference (I work in a community setting helping regular folk/kids be healthy) and was wondering if some experienced people would be able to give me a helpful nudge in the right direction.

Im female, 31. I do triathlon/long distance sports. Im injured (itb syndrome & probably as a result of being chronically hungry and a bit tired due to being a single mum of beautiful 7 year old twins and trying to less I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post. at my sport.)

My gross weight is 147lbs & my lean mass is 110lbs. I train 3 times a week weights and also do base miles for triathlon, V low intensity. If I use 10 kc per lb lean mass as a weight loss strategy how long can I/should I do this? Should I put in some kind of refeed to carb up at the weekend?

I struggle with small meals (bulimic in the past and easily get food obsessed) and use IF as a strategy to be able to sit down and eat a decent evening meal with my kids.

I just don't know whether to eat at maintenance and deal with it, or do cyclical low carb deficit weekdays and carb refeed Sat/Sun to have a normal life (pop corn at the movies and even the odd bag of chips would be nice. Im sure my kids would love to share just one chocolate with me).

So, having trawled this site for months and failed miserably to improve my power to weight ratio, Im now taking the leap to ask. Im pretty shy. Be gentle.

Thanks

Simone
Unread 11-30-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simone View Post

My gross weight is 147lbs & my lean mass is 110lbs. I train 3 times a week weights and also do base miles for triathlon, V low intensity.

If I use 10 kc per lb lean mass as a weight loss strategy how long can I/should I do this? Should I put in some kind of refeed to carb up at the weekend?

I struggle with small meals (bulimic in the past and easily get food obsessed) and use IF as a strategy to be able to sit down and eat a decent evening meal with my kids.

I just don't know whether to eat at maintenance and deal with it, or do cyclical low carb deficit weekdays and carb refeed Sat/Sun to have a normal life (pop corn at the movies and even the odd bag of chips would be nice. Im sure my kids would love to share just one chocolate with me).

So, having trawled this site for months and failed miserably to improve my power to weight ratio, Im now taking the leap to ask. Im pretty shy. Be gentle.

Thanks

Simone

you could eat at maintenance or slightly over maintenance on your workout days (3 days per week) and then have a caloric deficit on non workout days (4 days per week).

having some chocolate now and then should be no problem as long as you don't go overboard. same thing with other goodies.

Last edited by mrlakramondas : 11-30-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Unread 11-30-2010, 03:13 PM

I'm a little unsure of what your actual question was. You're injured, so you'll probably want to get better. You've got two kids, so you'll probably want to take care of them. Everything else is guesswork.

What's the nature of your injury, how tall are you, and were you chronically hungry from dieting, or just chronically hungry in general?
Unread 11-30-2010, 04:01 PM

Hi,

Im 174 cm tall. I did walk away from my laptop going 'i don't think I was very specific there'.
So:

Im trying very hard to recomp. My upper body is very lean but my lower body looks as though it belongs to someone else, not very lean.

I do endurance sports and its seems no matter how intelligently I approach training, I never budge below 19% body fat, which makes running and road cycling performance stagnant. I never get faster. Hills are a total fail. Its pretty gut wrenching when I have the endurance there but cant drag my lardy butt up with the power needed.

I am now on base miles which means I don't have to do any high intensity stuff and can afford to go into a deficit energy wise, and also do low carb. But im utterly confused about how to go about it. I am not sure whether to eat at maintenance and train, cycle a deficit in the week with low carbs and carb up Sat/Sun, and I train a lower/upper split 2-4 a week (basically so I can use my legs when I need to bike/swim and also time constraints).

I am injured but its not major, just an overuse injury as a result of ITB tightness. Its a hazard a runners, as I was (am still am) training for the Paris marathon, but doing aerobic base on the bike until my knee stops being crap.

I am just stuck. I just did a week of low carb and then carbed up on the weekend. I now look bloated with water and feel like death.

Im I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.ing up somehow.

Thanks for your time.

Simone
Unread 11-30-2010, 08:19 PM

p.s.
& think Im hungry due to underestimating how much food I need/being scared of eating/seemingly laying down fat with any starchy carb intake.

Im lying here now in bed with my stomach growling and find that low carb does this to me - no sleep, super active brain at night and mega growly stomach. Not great at 2am.

I think I'd just like someone to help me figure out a way of being able to train, make strength gains, not feel glycogen depleted, because I have read so much on this site that I have become overwhelmed Im just not sure which approach to take any longer.
I think Im asking for a magic formula. Perhaps as I near the teens of bodyfat I just have to feel hungry at night and just stop whining?

I need to stop writing now before I attack my own prose.
Unread 12-01-2010, 11:58 AM

One thing I have learnt from this site is 'if you wanna train, you gotta eat!'
I went through a phase where I would be at a deficit and trying to workout 4-5 times a week.. the results was no loss of BF%, underachievement in the gym and felt like complete s*%^.

I can't imagine training hard and then having to come home to look after kids without some decent grub!
this not to mention the fact that you are injured..
Unread 12-01-2010, 12:07 PM

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ts-part-1.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ts-part-2.html
Unread 12-01-2010, 05:24 PM

Also the new article on the main site about 'does the diet determine training or training determine diet'
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:08 PM

How did you get your bodyfat numbers? How reliable is the source? Most are not that relaible. for instance, you mention never going under 19% BF, but your 110/147lbs weights indicate 25% bf. so i'm not sure if everything adds up.

Your BMI is like 22, which is in the normal range.

You could investigate getting the stubborn fat solution book for an explanation of why women get more fat on the hips/legs. But the actual protocols laid out in there probably wouldn't make sense for someone training for triathalons or trying to have a life.

Basically, I don't think think you can recover, have a life, train, and try to get really lean at the same time. I'd drop either the training or the dieting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simone View Post
(bulimic in the past and easily get food obsessed)
Yeah, most of us do. It's most important to keep perspective.
Unread 12-02-2010, 04:05 AM

Thanks very much for all of the replies.
I have read the stubborn fat solution (multiple times) and its great. I am yet to ever see any whooshes etc.

The training aspect cant go. I have a marathon Im supposed to be doing with my neighbour. She's a non runner and doing so well and we're doing it for charity. Its a massive goal of mine.

@easyrhino - I use a Tanita at the same time of day, morning fasted. I have also had Harpendon calipers used on me (as Im a sports therapist and work with coaches at Bath Uni who work with elite athletes) and also use bio impedance to demonstrate to my own clients. They all say the same thing give or take hydration levels and its usually between about 2-6 % within range. The problem is that my upper body is around 16% bf whereas my lower is about 29% so the distribution is very uneven.

@Dani - I saw that. When I read it I had a mini eureka moment (as I tend to with alot of Lyle's articles). Thanks.

@mrlakramondas - Im trying to do that but find that Im just so hungry. I am past trusting what my bmr is, so tend to under eat out of fear and then go oevr board on higher days out of hunger, depletion and a sense of "whats the point its not working anyway!'

I just want be be leaner and stronger and find some kind of formula I can implement that I can trust based on my height/lean mass/training. But then - so does everybody...

X