BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-09-2019, 02:13 PM

Default Eric Helms - Full Body 5x / Week

Lyle, what do you think of the new way Eric Helm's trains?

In this new video he talks about for the past year a half he has run a 5 day full body routine- and states NOT that research suggests its superior, but because its good to add more volume and have decreased fatigued.

Check it out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Xr8rMK-Gw
Unread 07-10-2019, 03:31 AM

You cant add more volume if you get tendinitis or if your joints get wrecked and with 5 day full body, that's whats going to happen, most probably..
Unread 07-10-2019, 06:55 AM

this is nothing new (training 5X week full body)

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...7155181&page=1

have tried it a few years back f and was quite happy with the results

first 1-2 weeks it hurts like hell until you adopt.
strength gains were quite impressive, but you need to mange volume not to overtrain or hurt yourself.

also dont do it for more than 5-6 weeks
Unread 07-10-2019, 07:52 AM
Administrator

1. I don't keep track of this stuff.
2. It's stupid. This is all stupid. The world is stupid and this field is stupid.

Someone just go ask Eric this

"Eric, if you're so intent on dredging up strongmen from the early 20th century to PROVE FFMI, why not just promote their training which was basic stuff focused on training a few times per week to get strong."

It's that simple. You can get as big as you will ever get training 3-4 days/week with a basic split focusing on strength gains over time.

This field is going progressively stupider and, god almighty, the PhD's are now driving the stupid bus. At least dumb bodybuilders had an excuse for not having a clue.
Unread 07-10-2019, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyLifting145 View Post
Lyle, what do you think of the new way Eric Helm's trains?

In this new video he talks about for the past year a half he has run a 5 day full body routine- and states NOT that research suggests its superior, but because its good to add more volume and have decreased fatigued.

Check it out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Xr8rMK-Gw
it's not necessarily good to add more volume. The end. The whole idea is moronic, driven by the ramblings of a drug user too cowardly to admit to it (Israetel). Add volume until the cows come home and you won't grow as well as focusing on progressive tension overload. Period.

It is a good way to get hurt when you're stupid about how you approach it.

But this field is getting stupider by the day and this whole "I did it for a year and a half" anecdotal bs is not evidence based. And I bet he gained 3/5ths of jack squat anyhow. And won't no matter what he does short of take drugs.

Whatever, I do not know why these discussions keep cropping up. Guys got as big as humanly possible for 100 years doing a 3-4 days basic split focusing on getting stronger over time. This is jsut nonsense to keep the fitness field interested with 'something new'.

And it saddens me that it is the supposed academics pushing this tripe. Dumb bodybuilders had an excuse for being dumb.
Unread 07-10-2019, 06:40 PM

This is just an anecdote, but due to my work schedule last week I trained full body three days in a row. Nothing excessive, just 3-4 sets per day for each major muscle group. Everything felt fine except my knees. Did squats one day, hack squats the second day, and leg extensions the third day. The following day I had this weird feeling in my knee joints. I looked down and they even looked swollen, but that's probably just me being paranoid. I took some ibuprofen and felt better after a few days, but I haven't done any leg work this week just to be on the safe side.

Anyway, as someone over 35, I can imagine the same thing eventually happening to my shoulders and elbows. I might have been able to do something like this as a 20 year old, but I can't imagine doing it now.
Unread 07-10-2019, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Now, I haven't watched the vidoe, not going to

Eric should know better

1. His personal anecdote well...feh. This whole movement by supposed 'evidence' and 'research' based people to accept anecdotes (well THEIR anecdotes is garbabge)

2. even if he flat out says "ease into this, go submaximally with light weights", the average person will not. They will jump into high volume without being intelligent and end up hurt

But I guess the current crew doesn't give a damn about things like that. Just write something to seem edgy and novel and screw anybody who gets hurt.
Unread 07-11-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
But I guess the current crew doesn't give a damn about things like that. Just write something to seem edgy and novel and screw anybody who gets hurt.
Damn straight, I mean, if one cannot man up, be a manly man, and start pumping up with Dr. Mike's Special Sport Supplements (as I believe I recall you referring to them as; still makes me laugh), then one probably deserves to get hurt, right bro? *sheesh*

Quote:
This whole movement by supposed 'evidence' and 'research' based people to accept anecdotes (well THEIR anecdotes is garbabge)
Yes! I've noticed this glaring contradiction as well and have been both very perplexed and disappointed by it. The only sense I can make of it is that this is what happens when men (and women too I suppose...it is 2019 after all) of low integrity encounter evidence and research-based data that runs counter to their current understanding and associated biases (and indeed, their own research as well, ahem).
Unread 07-11-2019, 07:50 AM
Administrator

[quote=kc2010;314318]Damn straight, I mean, if one cannot man up, be a manly man, and start pumping up with Dr. Mike's Special Sport Supplements (as I believe I recall you referring to them as; still makes me laugh), then one probably deserves to get hurt, right bro? *sheesh* [quote]

I remember when Nuckols released taht stupid Bulgarian powerlifting manual. I read it and emailed him asking why he didn't at least MENTION that it was only for advancd lifters.

Him: If people can't figure out it's not a beginner program, that's their problem. This is a man who writes 100,000k articles and can't be bothered to put in a single sentence of qualification.

What a maroon.

Quote:
Yes! I've noticed this glaring contradiction as well and have been both very perplexed and disappointed by it. The only sense I can make of it is that this is what happens when men (and women too I suppose...it is 2019 after all) of low integrity encounter evidence and research-based data that runs counter to their current understanding and associated biases (and indeed, their own research as well, ahem).
When Mike shared that little tidbit that evidence based NOW includes

direct research
physiological rational
anecdotes

well. the field is done. It means "we will only use science when it suits us." Because you know that they will only accepT THEIR anecdotes. Not anybody else's. Just like every other bunch of guru dips. Keto, pH diet, etc. It's all the same. Use science until you can't and then use "It works for me."

I hate this industry some days
Unread 07-11-2019, 02:44 PM

who cares about science and facts

its about who has bigger muscles

and who has a more interesting, "cutting edge" story to sell. that's where the authority comes from...

people are hungry for ideals
hungry for quick and easy gains...