BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Supplements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-13-2019, 09:00 AM

Default Whey Protein that isn't overly sweet

I'm looking for a whey protein powder. However, the ones I've tried have had a couple issues.

The first, as the title alludes to, is that most whey protein products are artificially sweetened. I don't really mind this, but the problem is that most of them are artificially sweetened far too aggressively. Whey mixes easily with a small amount of water. However, if you do use only a small amount of water, the end result is shake that is sickeningly sweet (tasting far sweeter than fruit, for example.)

There are other ways to sweeten. Optimum Natural whey uses a small amount of sugar for example, with no artificial sweeteners. This is a good level of sweetness. Normally I wouldn't like the added sugar but as I normally use this around a workout, I don't mind it that much. However, this product is overpriced. The product itself costs more than comparable products, and since part of it is sugar (cheap filler, really), the end result is you're paying higher-than-whey prices for added sugar. Meh.

Does anybody have product that they like, keeping the above in mind? There were some bulk protein providers in the past, such as trueprotein, but these are either defunct, or under different ownership, or not providing the same deals as they once were. There are probably some I'm not aware of though.

Basic flavors are nice (vanilla, chocolate, whatever). I'd prefer a whey isolate although a mix of isolate/concentrate with isolate being the primary of the two (51% type thing) is fine also.
Unread 08-13-2019, 07:38 PM

Optimum only has like 2g of sugar per scoop. Whoopdy doo unless you’re having like 10 scoops a day.

I’m not a fan of Myprotein flavor but love Optimum so take my opinion for what that’s worth. But lots of people swear MP due to the cost and a decent enough flavor. May be one to look in to.

Or just get NOW unflavored whey and add your own ingredients to flavor it.
Unread 08-13-2019, 07:47 PM

They don't have the best flavors, but Myprotein is very cheap and low in sugar.

Sign up and wait for them to send you discount codes I was able to get 2.2lbs of protein for $20 plus shipping.
Unread 08-14-2019, 05:11 PM

For months Iíve been enjoying Chaos and Painís Kannibal Kraken. I bought a lot of it on sale during the Arnold or something. Didnít like it, at first, as I thought it was too mild, but eventually decided the mild was preferable for regular use. They run sales fairly regularly. Itís a blend, but Iíve got sensitive friends who havenít experienced any GI upset from it. Ymmv.
Unread 09-06-2019, 05:57 PM

Recently using MyProtein from the UK. The smooth chocolate milk protein and the strawberry whey have been good. I cant stomach sweet proteins. These are clean and lightly flavored
Unread 09-07-2019, 01:03 PM

I ended up getting the Amazon brand (OWN PWR). It's a good deal, $10/lb for whey isolate and tastes great. It's still a tad sweet for my liking but nowhere near to the extent for the product that prompted this thread.

OWN PWR chocolate mixed with milk genuinely tastes like chocolate milk. Oddly enough, it doesn't mix that easily though that is easily solved with a shaker bottle or whatever.

Overall I'm happy with it and will try their other flavors in the future.