BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-30-2018, 05:09 PM

Default My diet effort

Okay....so here is a bit about me...

F, 185lbs, about 43% BF (although I don't think I look that 'fat') and 62 y.o. 5'8" tall.

I think a keto diet is too much "fat" for me and you seem to suggest that "ketosis" isn't really going to help me. That said, I do seem to read (from your books...or the ones I have) that low carb (but healthy carb) is the way to go.

I seem to feel that a total caloric intake of about 1400 calories gives me enough fuel to function without feeling too hungry and gives me a deficit of about 500-1000 calories a day (depending on what I do of course).

My macros are currently about 50% fat (aiming for healthy fat...i.e. no trans fat and not too much animal fat), 35% protein and 15% in healthy carbs (broccoli, lettuce, cucumber, mushroom, onions). Of that 15% about 1/2 that is a cup of Fiber one cereal dry since I feel I need a good bang of Fiber because of my high LDL cholesteroal (genetic)...(even though my HDL is also on the high side). I've read David Perlmutter (your thoughts?) and he seems to agree that I should not worry about my blood cholesterol but my LDL is over 220 which seems just too much still.

Help? I really want to target my stored fat as much as possible. In that arena I am working out with resistence training and walking. Anything else to target stored fat? It seems mine is quite stubborn. Thanks in advance.
Unread 08-30-2018, 05:54 PM

1400 cals look ok

Have you looked into Lyles psmf ? Very good at your bf%

Also dont worry about stubborn bf that isn't issue for a long time
Unread 09-07-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
1400 cals look ok

Have you looked into Lyles psmf ? Very good at your bf%

Also dont worry about stubborn bf that isn't issue for a long time
Thanks for your reply. I have not tried the PSMF because I think it's way too low in calories for me. Actually, I should correct that statement, I did try it a few years ago for about a week. I think that was probably not sufficient time (I did do a carb load after I think it was 4-5 days and then resume) but currently I think it's just too low for me to be consistent with.

The good news is I am losing weight. The bad news is I probably need to be more patient with the FAT weight loss. Also perhaps my tanita scale is not that accurate with FAT % and my math as a result is wrong. Something like that. I have a spread sheet I keep and put total weight and BF% in there ..then I have a colum for the fat lbs and one for the remaining LBM lbs. I'd like the LOSS, obviously, to me the fat vs. anything else. I think everyone wants that.
Unread 09-09-2018, 04:01 PM

Fat loss at such a high BF% should be fairly easy if you follow any diet with a prolonged caloric deficit. It's common for your cholesterol to change temporarily during weight loss .

If you are already going strength training and cardio(preferably HIIT), then it's just a waiting game.

If still want to do more you can try lyle stubborn fat protocol.
Unread 10-10-2018, 03:42 PM

Update.....

I think this is the first time (not that I try that often) that I feel like I'm on the right track and there are the results I want.....

I know these body fat scales using impedence aren't that accurate but that's what I have other than looking in the mirror and how clothing fits.

The above said, I have been keeping an excel chart for the past 2 months. (I'm a bit OCD with numbers).

In 2 months it seems I have lost 10 lbs of body fat and gained 1 pound of whatever else remains, LBM. Usually when I try to diet etc., both go down but I tend to lose LBM pretty quickly. Even with resistence training.

The difference this time I think is that what I'm eating (still at a deficit) is more healthy fat and protein and little if any carbs beyond fibrous vegetables. It's a sort of keto type style but the fat and protein intake percentage wise is roughly the same with veggie carbs at about 100 calories (25 grams).

I'm happy. I just wish (like many) it'd be faster....but this like a lot of things for me is a lesson in PATIENCE!
Unread 10-10-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lean2b View Post
Update.....

I think this is the first time (not that I try that often) that I feel like I'm on the right track and there are the results I want.....

I know these body fat scales using impedence aren't that accurate but that's what I have other than looking in the mirror and how clothing fits.

The above said, I have been keeping an excel chart for the past 2 months. (I'm a bit OCD with numbers).

In 2 months it seems I have lost 10 lbs of body fat and gained 1 pound of whatever else remains, LBM. Usually when I try to diet etc., both go down but I tend to lose LBM pretty quickly. Even with resistence training.

The difference this time I think is that what I'm eating (still at a deficit) is more healthy fat and protein and little if any carbs beyond fibrous vegetables. It's a sort of keto type style but the fat and protein intake percentage wise is roughly the same with veggie carbs at about 100 calories (25 grams).

I'm happy. I just wish (like many) it'd be faster....but this like a lot of things for me is a lesson in PATIENCE!
You are doing it right dont change a damn thing