BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-18-2018, 12:12 PM

Default Hitting a wall at sub 10%

This isn't the first time I've been here. My problems:

- Bromo makes me feel sick for X hours of the day. It kills appetite during those hours.
- Not taking bromo makes me want to eat 4-5k per day.
- EC barely takes the hunger edge off.

Basically I need ec/bromo at this level just to maintain. High levels of cardio like pick-up basketball help hunger but a few days of that per week and it beats down my body, making me feel sore and even hungrier.

Is there ever any relief? It seems my only real option is just do the one meal a day thing so it's hard to overeat.

Get to 10% bodyfat first while lifting weights heavy 3x a week with reduced volume. Two weeks maintenance. Bulk up slowly (1 lb weight gain per week max), focus on getting stronger, measure body composition changes often.
Unread 01-18-2018, 12:23 PM

Diet is high in whole protein & veggies already?

I guess beyond that is why you are trying to get that lean. Where do you naturally sit for BF level? Do you think sub-10% is going to be maintainable over the long term? Unless it's for a contest or a particular vacation is it worth it?
Unread 01-18-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightCrow View Post
Diet is high in whole protein & veggies already?

I guess beyond that is why you are trying to get that lean. Where do you naturally sit for BF level? Do you think sub-10% is going to be maintainable over the long term? Unless it's for a contest or a particular vacation is it worth it?

probably my hunger ends at around 15%

I just want to stay lean as long as possible. I just came off a long diet but maintaining now seems harder than the diet itself.

Get to 10% bodyfat first while lifting weights heavy 3x a week with reduced volume. Two weeks maintenance. Bulk up slowly (1 lb weight gain per week max), focus on getting stronger, measure body composition changes often.
Unread 01-18-2018, 01:36 PM

Id be happy with a legit 10% unless prepping. Honestly the risk vs reward ratio aint that great pushing further imo. To maintain you probably have to stick to bland food for a while and eat some protein fluff or similar things that make you really full. The downside is tons of veggies or fluff or whatever will screw with your gut but thats the price to maintain i guess
Unread 01-18-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Id be happy with a legit 10% unless prepping. Honestly the risk vs reward ratio aint that great pushing further imo. To maintain you probably have to stick to bland food for a while and eat some protein fluff or similar things that make you really full. The downside is tons of veggies or fluff or whatever will screw with your gut but thats the price to maintain i guess
but leansgains man made it look so easy :3

sadly i already eat the microwave protein fluff, lol

Unread 01-18-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmyoldaccount View Post
but leansgains man made it look so easy :3

sadly i already eat the microwave protein fluff, lol
If you're already at 10% and don't have any need to go lower I wouldn't waste this winter time trying to lose a few more pounds that will be gained back fairly quickly once you're back in a surplus. Save that for when summer is much closer and you have to go the beach. Otherwise you won't want to go into a surplus over the summer and next thing you know you've wasted 3/4s of a year towards some additional muscle. I've been there and done that more years of my early training career than I care to admit to.

It's all about your goals though, if you're happy with your current muscle level then good luck.
Unread 01-18-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmyoldaccount View Post
This isn't the first time I've been here. My problems:

Is there ever any relief? It seems my only real option is just do the one meal a day thing so it's hard to overeat.
Personally, I don't think it ever gets easier when you want to maintain such leanness. I am the same (hang on to being lean pretty much year round) and 99% of the time it's a struggle not to eat more than my hunger dictates. It basically becomes an eating disorder...the constant arguing with myself about what I want more - visible abs or food?
Sorry to be a downer - but just my personal thoughts.
Unread 01-18-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisacal View Post
Personally, I don't think it ever gets easier when you want to maintain such leanness. I am the same (hang on to being lean pretty much year round) and 99% of the time it's a struggle not to eat more than my hunger dictates. It basically becomes an eating disorder...the constant arguing with myself about what I want more - visible abs or food?
Sorry to be a downer - but just my personal thoughts.
that's depressing but you described exactly how I think as well

and when I get too beat up, meaning too much lifting / basketball, I can't control my urges nearly as well

so trying to compensate with more cardio usually results in much worse damage

Unread 01-19-2018, 01:38 AM

Not to be patronising... But from these posts, I think it's time to be questioning what you're doing all this for...
Unread 01-19-2018, 05:29 AM

I don't see why you need such a reliance on drugs just to get under 10% bodyfat (not trying to trivialise single digit bodyfat, but your attitude is all wrong).

If you want to sustain low bodyfat then I would not do very much cardio, certainly not the typical steady-state cardio people tend to advocate. You would really have to re-align your entire lifestyle around reducing stress and achieving sustained fat-loss via hormonal changes. I can suggest a few things:

-shorten your workout duration, reduce the frequency, and increase the intensity
-for cardiovascular exercise do HIIT, sparingly. Or even better, do an enjoyable sport that naturally mimics HIIT (tennis, soccer, swimming are great for this).
-avoid starvation diets. Stick to a high-protein wholefood diet, whether it's keto or paleo or IIFYM doesn't really matter so long as you are getting enough nutrients, calories are in the right ballpark, and that your diet doesn't induce stress.
-increase your sleep, both in terms of quantity and quality (this is underrated)
-eat your meals within 12 hours
-find a hobby or activity that doesn't involve constantly worrying about your bodyfat.

When people try to find the holy grail diet or drug that will keep them at single-digit bodyfat year round, its a bit of a red herring since they should be analysing the impact of their lifestyle on their hormones.

Last edited by nzgs : 01-19-2018 at 05:37 AM.