BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 07-25-2017, 09:11 AM
jimike jimike is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 84
Default Guide to Flexible Dieting 4 week cut log

After flirting with the idea of doing another run of RFL or starting UD2 I'm actually going to stick to 'old faithful' GFD.

Some years ago when I lost 40lbs (after failing at and hating RFL previously) I managed to take a more intuitive and flexible GFD approach which worked a charm and was mentally was much, much, much easier.

I'm going to take this approach again as I don't think I'm lean enough for UD2 and it seems like overkill when simpler methods haven't been maxed out yet by myself.

My recent RFL log is here.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=33372


My stats: Cat 1 male @ 36 years old, 6ft, 202lbs @ ~15% bf means approximately 172lbs LBM. Maintenance calories is between 2800-3200 calories using the formula at either 14cal per lb of bw or 16cal per pound of bw.

My real bf% is unknown but I am leanish. Recent estimate of my bf pics on this forum gave some 12% numbers back but I think that's too low an estimate esp since I'm carrying a lot of total weight for my height to be truly at 12% bf.

The process i'm going to be using is as follows (generally):

1) I have to record all food intake every day whether with myfitnesspal or eyeballing things.

2) No set calorie goals each day anything under 2500 is a 'win'.
I think monitoring calories each day will limit how bad I'll be anyway as knowledge of my numbers somehow stops me overeating all by itself (i've found that in the past). I might be quite variable with my approach here. If i feel good I might have uber low-cal day but not feel the need to keep it up for weeks on end, maybe have moderate day and maintenance day and another low cal day sort of thing. The long-term grind of dieting I find difficult. Making each individual day a new choice and each past day an individual 'win' will be a new approach for me. I'm hoping it will be a mental hack much like free meals are (the OPTION of a free meal often neutralizes any cravings I have almost by itself).

3) 1.5g protein per lb LBM per day. This is a target of ~250g protein per day. Potentially more protein if I feel I need it. I sometimes struggle with protein intake (affording it, cooking it and eating it) so I'll likely supplement often with whey powder.

4) Refeed on a regular basis.
My choices for an exercise AND diet Cat 1 person are; 5hr-1 day refeed every 3-5 days OR a 1-2 day refeed every 7 days. I'm unsure which way I'll go. Maybe the refeed protocol for every week or just try to time it around weekend events maybe. I'm pretty new to this concept. I've neglected organised refeeds completely in many of my other dietary approaches so I'm looking forward to this.

5) Two free meals a week (if needed). I find it's better psychologically to have a higher amount of free meals and not use them, rather than want another and not have it. I don't think I ever used two free meals in a week previously but I found it helpful to my sanity to include them.

6) I'll likely introduce some LISS cardio (cardio with heart rate below 140 beats per minute) also depending on feel.
I'm very unlikely I'll do many HIIT sessions as I've fried myself overtraining twice in the past year adding too much intense cardio.

7) Continue my strength training program.

Feel free to offer any advice, thoughts, critiques or any general ramblings at any time. Wish me luck :-)

Last edited by jimike : 07-25-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 07-26-2017, 06:07 AM
tellurium's Avatar
tellurium tellurium is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimike View Post
After flirting with the idea of doing another run of RFL or starting UD2 I'm actually going to stick to 'old faithful' GFD.

Some years ago when I lost 40lbs (after failing at and hating RFL previously) I managed to take a more intuitive and flexible GFD approach which worked a charm and was mentally was much, much, much easier.

I'm going to take this approach again as I don't think I'm lean enough for UD2 and it seems like overkill when simpler methods haven't been maxed out yet by myself.

My recent RFL log is here.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=33372


My stats: Cat 1 male @ 36 years old, 6ft, 202lbs @ ~15% bf means approximately 172lbs LBM. Maintenance calories is between 2800-3200 calories using the formula at either 14cal per lb of bw or 16cal per pound of bw.

My real bf% is unknown but I am leanish. Recent estimate of my bf pics on this forum gave some 12% numbers back but I think that's too low an estimate esp since I'm carrying a lot of total weight for my height to be truly at 12% bf.

The process i'm going to be using is as follows (generally):

1) I have to record all food intake every day whether with myfitnesspal or eyeballing things.

2) No set calorie goals each day anything under 2500 is a 'win'.
I think monitoring calories each day will limit how bad I'll be anyway as knowledge of my numbers somehow stops me overeating all by itself (i've found that in the past). I might be quite variable with my approach here. If i feel good I might have uber low-cal day but not feel the need to keep it up for weeks on end, maybe have moderate day and maintenance day and another low cal day sort of thing. The long-term grind of dieting I find difficult. Making each individual day a new choice and each past day an individual 'win' will be a new approach for me. I'm hoping it will be a mental hack much like free meals are (the OPTION of a free meal often neutralizes any cravings I have almost by itself).

3) 1.5g protein per lb LBM per day. This is a target of ~250g protein per day. Potentially more protein if I feel I need it. I sometimes struggle with protein intake (affording it, cooking it and eating it) so I'll likely supplement often with whey powder.

4) Refeed on a regular basis.
My choices for an exercise AND diet Cat 1 person are; 5hr-1 day refeed every 3-5 days OR a 1-2 day refeed every 7 days. I'm unsure which way I'll go. Maybe the refeed protocol for every week or just try to time it around weekend events maybe. I'm pretty new to this concept. I've neglected organised refeeds completely in many of my other dietary approaches so I'm looking forward to this.

5) Two free meals a week (if needed). I find it's better psychologically to have a higher amount of free meals and not use them, rather than want another and not have it. I don't think I ever used two free meals in a week previously but I found it helpful to my sanity to include them.

6) I'll likely introduce some LISS cardio (cardio with heart rate below 140 beats per minute) also depending on feel.
I'm very unlikely I'll do many HIIT sessions as I've fried myself overtraining twice in the past year adding too much intense cardio.

7) Continue my strength training program.

Feel free to offer any advice, thoughts, critiques or any general ramblings at any time. Wish me luck :-)
I'm not sure you're setting yourself up for success.

1) You are not measuring what you eat
2) Your "goal" deficit is small
3) You haven't set a calorie goal
4) Protein is needlessly high
5)Refeeding too frequently + free meals

You are 15% which is the point where dieting down to sub 10% is not hard but takes consistent effort. With your "goal" deficit, you would lose approximately 2lbs of fat in 4 weeks and with your lack of accuracy on tracking and calorie limits, you will probably spin your wheels.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 07-26-2017, 09:17 AM
jimike jimike is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellurium View Post
I'm not sure you're setting yourself up for success.

1) You are not measuring what you eat
2) Your "goal" deficit is small
3) You haven't set a calorie goal
4) Protein is needlessly high
5)Refeeding too frequently + free meals

You are 15% which is the point where dieting down to sub 10% is not hard but takes consistent effort. With your "goal" deficit, you would lose approximately 2lbs of fat in 4 weeks and with your lack of accuracy on tracking and calorie limits, you will probably spin your wheels.
Hi tellurium, thanks for the comments :-)

I'll try to respond to your points underneath.

1) Maybe I didn't highlight it clearly enough in my original post but I will be measuring what I eat. I'll log and monitor everything I eat from here on out using myfitnesspal or paper and keep a track of calories and protein intake consumed per day (and fats and carbs if I can be bothered or need to track them).

2) and 3) 'My deficit is small' point.
My 'anything under 2500 cal' strategy, this is more a psychological ploy I'm using on myself rather than a goal to aim for. I've been finding recently I've had a really extremely low daily calorie goals for some days (sometimes ~1600 cal a day occasionally on my high protein days). I've found even when I end my day at 1800 cal on one of these days I feel like I've 'lost' or been weak, when in actual fact i still had an absolutely huge deficit. I presume I'll still be in the moderate or high deficit range mostly (around 2000 cal per day give or take) but my lack of a concrete target is to allow myself to claim more 'wins' mentally. This is more a mental 'hack' more than anything. I'm not presuming to AIM for 2500 per day as that would make a poor attempt at a diet, but I'm going to count anything less than 2500 as an internal win. This is also to allow myself to be more flexible daily with my individual daily calorie goals (e.g. I don't have to stick to a set range entirely I can have a day super high deficit, next day small deficit......etc). This is just an experiment.

4) From why I've read my protein intake seems right around the correct range but correct me if I'm wrong. I'm a Cat 1 regular lifter at around solid intermediate level numbers and probably advanced level with my weighted chin ups. It's 1.5g protein per lb of my LBM not total weight. RFL would have me eating 350g per day, Eric Helms cutting numbers is (I think) 1.1g to 1.3g protein per lb of bodyweight (NOT LBM) which is right around my number (220g-260g per day), Leangains would probably be 300g per day also. I'm open to be proved wring as I often struggle with consuming so much protein lol (and affording it).

5) Refeeding and free meals.
My choice of two free meals is again another mental hack. I've used two free meals in my dieting approaches previously when I lost 40lbs. I don't think I EVER once used both my free meals in the same week.

That being said, I found there was a huge psychological benefit in having two free meals I COULD in theory use (even though I NEVER used them, not even once previously). Knowing that when times got tough and I was really craving something I could sit and debate with myself whether to use a free meal on it or not helped massively. Often it totally crushed my cravings almost instantly knowing that I could have the bad food but I CHOOSE not to.

This is how it'd normally go
(Me: starving and craving stuff 'will this ever end?'.......hunger.......'I could use my free meal and get that pizza.......do I want to do that?'.........debate internally for a bit..........then more often than not I'd decide, yes I could have a free meal if I wanted, but do y'know what I won't, I'm going to 'save' this free meal for another time this week when I might want it more........CRAVING INSTANTLY EVAPORATES :-)

Regarding refeeds, I lifted those numbers directly from the Guide to Flexible Dieting book which are for Cat 1 dieters (eg. under 15% bf) and Cat 1 exerciser (anyone exercising with any sort of intensity). Refeeds are a new concept to me but I've been absolutely crushed and sick TWICE in the last 6 months via overtraining and punishing my body too severely. I'm definitely finding it get much harder to lose weight recently as I'm erring on the safe side saying I'm 15% bf I'm probably a few % lower imo.

Cheers tellurium. Feel free to shoot any more comments my way about anything I've written or advice or whatnot. I appreciate it all. I suppose it is a rather eclectic diet plan lol.

Last edited by jimike : 07-26-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 07-26-2017, 03:41 PM
jimike jimike is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 84
Default

Day 1
Cheeseburger and bacon ~700 cal.
Oats, whey powder and skim milk (quarter of a mug in volume when cooked)~400 cal.
Stir-fry noodles and half pack of sauce ~200 cal.
Shrimp and calamari ~200 cal.
50g whey protein ~200 cal.
Greek salad ~300 cal.
Zero fat Greek yogurt 220 cal.
Total calories consumed 2220 calories.

Exercise. 30 mins incline walking on treadmill at incline 10 at speed 6. Calories burned 370 cal.

Total balance for today 2220-370=1850 calories. Protein difficult to estimate but I'd say in the 190g range.

Thoughts about today: I'm unsure if I'm doing my LISS at too high an intensity. I've heard that you should stay below 140 heart rate beats per minute (which I did) but rereading other fitness experts who use RPE and calories burned per minute to define LISS I was way over. I'm confused.

Tomorrow should be my push day and abs using low volume RPT reverse pyramid training method. This will be bench, incline DB chest press and some abs probably.

Win overall today. I had to make eyeball guess the calories with lots of food but I feel I'm fairly accurate with this as I try to generally pick a higher number or round up when doing my guesses just to be on the safe side.

Win ratio of 1/1 zero 'misses'. I'll keep score for the next 4 weeks purely as a motivational tool and I'm not expecting myself to be flawless.

p.s. tried my first low calorie jelly desert today. 5 calories per tub. Really good. Where has it been all my life lol?

Last edited by jimike : 07-26-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 07-27-2017, 06:27 AM
tellurium's Avatar
tellurium tellurium is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimike View Post
Hi tellurium, thanks for the comments :-)

I'll try to respond to your points underneath.

1) Maybe I didn't highlight it clearly enough in my original post but I will be measuring what I eat. I'll log and monitor everything I eat from here on out using myfitnesspal or paper and keep a track of calories and protein intake consumed per day (and fats and carbs if I can be bothered or need to track them).

2) and 3) 'My deficit is small' point.
My 'anything under 2500 cal' strategy, this is more a psychological ploy I'm using on myself rather than a goal to aim for. I've been finding recently I've had a really extremely low daily calorie goals for some days (sometimes ~1600 cal a day occasionally on my high protein days). I've found even when I end my day at 1800 cal on one of these days I feel like I've 'lost' or been weak, when in actual fact i still had an absolutely huge deficit. I presume I'll still be in the moderate or high deficit range mostly (around 2000 cal per day give or take) but my lack of a concrete target is to allow myself to claim more 'wins' mentally. This is more a mental 'hack' more than anything. I'm not presuming to AIM for 2500 per day as that would make a poor attempt at a diet, but I'm going to count anything less than 2500 as an internal win. This is also to allow myself to be more flexible daily with my individual daily calorie goals (e.g. I don't have to stick to a set range entirely I can have a day super high deficit, next day small deficit......etc). This is just an experiment.

4) From why I've read my protein intake seems right around the correct range but correct me if I'm wrong. I'm a Cat 1 regular lifter at around solid intermediate level numbers and probably advanced level with my weighted chin ups. It's 1.5g protein per lb of my LBM not total weight. RFL would have me eating 350g per day, Eric Helms cutting numbers is (I think) 1.1g to 1.3g protein per lb of bodyweight (NOT LBM) which is right around my number (220g-260g per day), Leangains would probably be 300g per day also. I'm open to be proved wring as I often struggle with consuming so much protein lol (and affording it).

5) Refeeding and free meals.
My choice of two free meals is again another mental hack. I've used two free meals in my dieting approaches previously when I lost 40lbs. I don't think I EVER once used both my free meals in the same week.

That being said, I found there was a huge psychological benefit in having two free meals I COULD in theory use (even though I NEVER used them, not even once previously). Knowing that when times got tough and I was really craving something I could sit and debate with myself whether to use a free meal on it or not helped massively. Often it totally crushed my cravings almost instantly knowing that I could have the bad food but I CHOOSE not to.

This is how it'd normally go
(Me: starving and craving stuff 'will this ever end?'.......hunger.......'I could use my free meal and get that pizza.......do I want to do that?'.........debate internally for a bit..........then more often than not I'd decide, yes I could have a free meal if I wanted, but do y'know what I won't, I'm going to 'save' this free meal for another time this week when I might want it more........CRAVING INSTANTLY EVAPORATES :-)

Regarding refeeds, I lifted those numbers directly from the Guide to Flexible Dieting book which are for Cat 1 dieters (eg. under 15% bf) and Cat 1 exerciser (anyone exercising with any sort of intensity). Refeeds are a new concept to me but I've been absolutely crushed and sick TWICE in the last 6 months via overtraining and punishing my body too severely. I'm definitely finding it get much harder to lose weight recently as I'm erring on the safe side saying I'm 15% bf I'm probably a few % lower imo.

Cheers tellurium. Feel free to shoot any more comments my way about anything I've written or advice or whatnot. I appreciate it all. I suppose it is a rather eclectic diet plan lol.
Sounds well thought through, I was just being a pedant as it appeared to be some glaring flaws but you've obviously planned it well. Protein I still think is way overshooting! The normal "rule" is 0.8-1.2g/lb of LBM which puts you somewhere between 150-200g but I, like you, always like to over do it as ultimately there are no negative side effects.

Best of luck to you and will be good to see your progress!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 07-27-2017, 07:10 AM
jimike jimike is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellurium View Post
Sounds well thought through, I was just being a pedant as it appeared to be some glaring flaws but you've obviously planned it well. Protein I still think is way overshooting! The normal "rule" is 0.8-1.2g/lb of LBM which puts you somewhere between 150-200g but I, like you, always like to over do it as ultimately there are no negative side effects.

Best of luck to you and will be good to see your progress!
Cheers tellurium, we'll see if I've planned it well soon enough lolol :-P

Where did you get the 0.8-1.2g/lb of LBM number from? I'd prefer a lower protein intake to be honest. Protein does keep me feeling fuller for longer so it's swings and roundabouts I suppose.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 07-27-2017, 03:34 PM
jimike jimike is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 84
Default

Today's intake was ~2020 calories and 244g of protein.

The gym went well and I hit
Bench press. 100kgx6x1, 90kgx8x1.
Incline DB bench 30kgx8x1 30kgx5x1.
I did a few sets of abs and I was gone. I've got into trouble twice recently doing too much volume when dieting. I'm not making that mistake again, low volume all the way :-)

Tomorrow might be a tough day as I'll be at my friend's later. I think I will eat super lean protein sources, very low carbs.early in the day and do some LISS before some moderate naughty food.

We'll see. Today was 2 out if 2 days under 2500 and 2020 cals was a full 800 cal under my maintenance :-)

2/2

Day 1: -600 cal under maintenance (going to use a higher amount than yesterday's total to account for possible error in treadmill reading and bit of chocolate I forgot)
Day 2: -800 cal under :-)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 07-27-2017, 06:29 PM
PhysiologyIsPhun PhysiologyIsPhun is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 226
Default

I like your strategy of using the flexibility as a mental trick to keep you on track, but I have to second what Tellurium said. This diet plan actually has the potential to wind you up in a surplus if you don't achieve a very large deficit every day and you use your 2 free meals and refeeds during that week. I'm not saying it can't work; I'm just saying that the upper limit of your calories ends you in probably a +1/2 lb gain per week. I feel like any diet plan shouldn't have the potential for that to happen at all. Keep plugging away though. Hope you see some good results!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 07-28-2017, 04:07 AM
jimike jimike is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysiologyIsPhun View Post
I like your strategy of using the flexibility as a mental trick to keep you on track, but I have to second what Tellurium said. This diet plan actually has the potential to wind you up in a surplus if you don't achieve a very large deficit every day and you use your 2 free meals and refeeds during that week. I'm not saying it can't work; I'm just saying that the upper limit of your calories ends you in probably a +1/2 lb gain per week. I feel like any diet plan shouldn't have the potential for that to happen at all. Keep plugging away though. Hope you see some good results!
Cheers. Your comment about refeeds has made me relook at refeed amounts (in my head the GFD refeed amounts were just very high levels of carbs in a day at around maintenance or a a touch over. I know UD2 has HUGE refeeds but GFD isn't as extreme I think). I've realized I'm less knowledgeable on refeeds than I thought. I've calculated consequences of refeeds below to check it out :-)

The book GFD says for a 160 lb LBM person (I'm 172lb LBM so close enough) their;

Five hour refeed range = 240-480g of carbs (this comes to 960-1920 calories)

One day refeed = 640-960g carbs (2560-3840 calories).

Yikes, some of those numbers are scary. If I add my essential goal protein level of say 200g protein that day then that adds 800 calories.

So new ranges are (presuming zero fat) are:
Five hour refeed 1800-2800 calories.
One day refeed 3400-4600 calories.

Wow. Interesting. I had never actually calculated this before.

The low end of the one day range (3400) seems like I could manage it without ruining my diet as it's very close to my conservative maintenance calories of 2800.

All of the five hour refeeds I could also incorporate as long as I ate far less in the morning or IF most of it (if that's allowed).

The difficult thing would be avoiding dietary fat though. I LOVE cereal but tag along fat in the milk would add up fast. I'll need to check skimmed milk macros.

Definitely food for thought.

Regarding free meals I'm ok with that. I'll likely not ever use them very often and I'll use methods to offset the damage. Eat less before or after the meal if I was especially bad. So that should be cool. My whole diet set up (flexible) means every meal is a free meal for me lol.

Last edited by jimike : 07-28-2017 at 04:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 07-28-2017, 03:15 PM
jimike jimike is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 84
Default

Day 3

Food intake for today was ~2300 calories minus my exercise of 35 mins steep incline treadmill walking which burned 400 calories.

2300-400= 1900 calories.

This approximately 900 calories below maintenance :-)

3 days on target out of 3. 3/3.
Day 3: -900 under maintenance :-)

My numbers should be fairly accurate but I'm uncertain if the treadmill gives too high a reading 400 cal for 35min at incline 10.0 at speed 6 right in the sub 140 heartbeats per minute range. I do definitely get a sweat on and move at a very quick walking pace but it seems very high.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.