BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-09-2017, 02:05 PM

Smile Lower/Upper: Remove unnecessary exercises

Hello!

I'm lifting for 13 years and first 8 years I used a bro-split, but for another 4-5 years I started to train muscles more frequently.

I achieved an AMAZING result on Ultimate Diet 2.0. Tremendous transformation, the best result I have ever had. (Thank you, Lyle!)

Now, I'm using a less aggressive training setup, based on a lower/upper split.

But I tend to overcomplicate some things:

My "Lower Day" is very simple: Squat/RDL combo 3x6-10, and Leg press/Leg curls (Myo-reps). + abs/weighted back extension.

My Upper day is probably overcomplicated:

1. Bench press 3x8 (overall chest development)
2. Row 3-4x8-12 (mid back work)
3. Incline crossover flyes (wonderful pec activation, I'm really started benching with a pacs, after mastering humeral adduction)
4. Lat pull-down (shoulder adduction function of lats) (Myo-reps)
5. OHP (anterior deltoids, triceps and clavicular head of pectoralis major) (myo reps)
6. Cable pullover (shoulder extension function of lats) (Myo reps)
7. Rear delt flyes
8. Lateral delt flyes
9. Biceps
10. Lying triceps extensions

For a second "Upper Day" I switch between a BP/Row and OHP/Pull-down.

What do you guys think about this setup? Maybe I need to Remove unnecessary exercises? Or optimize something?

Thanks.
Unread 08-09-2017, 02:18 PM

I think you could scale back your shoulder exercises a ton. Doing laterals and OHP is overlaping. You could also drop the incline flys since you're overhead pressing and either the pulldowns or pullovers. Or do flys and the pulldown or pullover as your second pec & lat exercise on the 2nd upper day. I also tend to only do side or rear delts during each of the upper workouts. It shortens the workouts some and I get enough stimulation from the one I skip with the compound pec or back work earlier in the workout.
Unread 08-09-2017, 05:31 PM

Basically, just get rid of all the fluff. Then it'll be perfect
Unread 08-10-2017, 01:30 AM

I would switch exercise order in order to get the most out of overhead pressing. So I would switch places between 3. Incline crossover flyes and 5. OHP

You can also pair exercise in order to get through your workout faster.
For example.
1a bench press
1b Row
2a OHP
2b lat pulldown
etc.

I'm not sure if the cable pullover is necessary in this routine. But keep it if you make progress and you feel it has positive impact.

Squat and RDL combo might be tough and start to limit your strength gains due to lower back fatigue. I would first work through the squats and then do RDL or the leg press depending on how I feel.

Some people might move rear delt work to lower day and pair it with leg press for example. But then its not "real" upper/lower split
Unread 08-10-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBM View Post
I would switch exercise order in order to get the most out of overhead pressing. So I would switch places between 3. Incline crossover flyes and 5. OHP

You can also pair exercise in order to get through your workout faster.
For example.
1a bench press
1b Row
2a OHP
2b lat pulldown
etc.

I'm not sure if the cable pullover is necessary in this routine. But keep it if you make progress and you feel it has positive impact.

Squat and RDL combo might be tough and start to limit your strength gains due to lower back fatigue. I would first work through the squats and then do RDL or the leg press depending on how I feel.

Some people might move rear delt work to lower day and pair it with leg press for example. But then its not "real" upper/lower split
Too much padding.

Like I said, get rid of the fluff. Then you'll have a good workout
Unread 08-10-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightCrow View Post
I think you could scale back your shoulder exercises a ton. Doing laterals and OHP is overlaping. You could also drop the incline flys since you're overhead pressing and either the pulldowns or pullovers. Or do flys and the pulldown or pullover as your second pec & lat exercise on the 2nd upper day. I also tend to only do side or rear delts during each of the upper workouts. It shortens the workouts some and I get enough stimulation from the one I skip with the compound pec or back work earlier in the workout.
Thanks! I don't think there is a huge overlap between OHP and side lats, because OHP hit anterrior deltoids primarily.
Incline flyes is a MAGIC exercise. This thing help me master a humeral adduction. Now, I can really bench with my pecs.
By the way, I appreciate you for your advises. I need to rethink something and possibly remove few exercises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
Too much padding.

Like I said, get rid of the fluff. Then you'll have a good workout
Can you show me your example?

Goal: pure hypertrophy/maintaining muscle mass while cutting.

Last edited by Purple Haze : 08-10-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Unread 08-10-2017, 12:57 PM

If you remove all flyes and the pullovers it looks like you'll have basically the same thing as Lyle's GBR. Why fix what ain't broke?
Unread 08-10-2017, 01:17 PM

I agree. But this routine is for intermediate guys.
I need more volume, but simply can't train more than 4 days per week.

Last edited by Purple Haze : 08-10-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Unread 08-10-2017, 02:18 PM

Try Lyle's specialization program...Hit several bodyparts with a lot of volume for four-six weeks and work the others at maintenance:

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=1705
Unread 08-12-2017, 03:11 PM

Thanks. But specialization is not a best option for me, now