BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-21-2018, 04:43 PM

Default Why do you not lose muscle while doing alternate day fasting?

In this study it was shown that 16 obese people did alternate day fasting and lost about 12 pounds of 70 days and they didn't lose any muscle.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20300080

slightly bigger picture:

https://i.dietdoctor.com/wp-content/...h=134&fit=crop
Why didn't the lose muscle if every other day they were getting way less protein than they should have gotten?

Last edited by manofsteel : 05-21-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Unread 05-21-2018, 05:41 PM

My guess is that obesity has a lot to do with it.

A second point is that it probably takes longer than we would guess. I was watching Naked and Afraid the other day, and I noticed that one of the people hardly lost any weight at all. I don't remember the numbers, but it was something like 8 lbs of weight loss for a woman who hadn't really eaten in 30 days. Just a random thought.
Unread 05-22-2018, 05:36 AM

Does fasting on its own have a protein sparing effect?
Unread 05-22-2018, 11:38 AM

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at, but I don't think you have the right question yet. My knee jerk response is that if a person doesn't eat, they will eventually die. So it can't be protein sparing. But I don't think that's what you're trying to ask. I'm no expert, so I won't have the answer to your actual question.

If you're after practical advice, then the best diet/exercise is the one you can stick to for the long run.

If you are interested in how we should understand the science of training and diet, then I think you should seek out podcasts that Eric Helms has done. The ones I've heard where he talks about the nature of science in general and how to apply it to training are really good. I'm sure you can find lots of good stuff on Youtube, but it will take you a while to go through it.
Unread 05-22-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel View Post
In this study it was shown that 16 obese people did alternate day fasting and lost about 12 pounds of 70 days and they didn't lose any muscle.
Comparing day 1 to a fed day 69 they only lost 8 lbs. Don't compare day 1 to fasted day 70 because that's probably like an extra 4 lbs of water loss. So obese to begin with and a loss of eight 8lbs at that stage is virtually nothing. They pretty much maintained with some slight loss for the 10 weeks.
Unread 05-22-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel View Post
Does fasting on its own have a protein sparing effect?
Maybe. Some people argue fasting can improve muscle growth because of his effects on human growth hormone. Most studies done on it still leave room for doubt. Below are some other studies done if you are still curious:

http://press.endocrine.org/doi/10.12..._pub%3Dpubmed&

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11147801
Unread 05-23-2018, 11:45 AM

12 pounds over 70 days for an obese person is not that much. I suspect that it's a combination of (A) their being obese and (B) losing the weight pretty slowly.
Unread 05-23-2018, 11:51 AM

Unfortunately (for obvious reasons) most of the diet studies do not use really fit subjects so they're not going to tell you how a person with a lot of muscle and low body fat would respond.
Unread 05-26-2018, 06:24 PM

They were obese is why. Plenty of fatty acids floating around to maintain energy requirements.
Unread 05-29-2018, 10:32 PM

I only watched the first season or two of survivor but there was a guy on there named like Colby or something. Texas type matthew mcconaughey type dude. He lost an unreal amount of muscle during the show and he was always complaining he was starving.

I think it's pretty clear that guys who are muscular and lean are going to fare horribly on a starvation diet.

Whereas an obese person has massive amounts of free fatty acids in their bloodstream to burn as energy.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 05-29-2018 at 10:33 PM. Reason: add