BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Banned

Default If doing a 5 hour refeed do you have to be above maintenance for day?

I was thinking about doing a 5 hour refeed. I already IF and was going to do a refeed with a large amount of pasta and some protein powder to make sure I am getting adequate protein. I did the math and would probably be below my maintenance for the day (probably about 2350 calories for the day). Does this defeat the purpose of the refeed? Should I go above maintenance for the day?
Unread 03-13-2013, 06:34 PM

How are you calculating it? Also why do you need one?
Unread 03-13-2013, 06:50 PM

Martin takes people down to the ~10% range without any planned hyper caloric days
Unread 03-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violinist View Post
How are you calculating it? Also why do you need one?
Just thought I would try one out, see how it works. It would replace a free meal so I figured there was no harm in trying it.

As for calculating, I was just going to eat about 330 grams of carbs with very little fat and moderate protein in three meals within 5 hours. I was going to do a bunch of pasta with sauce and some whey protein.
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:16 PM

refeed=above maintenance

refeed=majority of calories from carbs
Unread 03-14-2013, 08:00 AM

This depends on how steep of a caloric deficit you went for combined with how many carbs you decided for the 5h refeed but most of the time the total calorie intake for the day even with the shortest refeed wich is the 5h one its suposed to be over maintenance.
Unread 03-14-2013, 08:52 AM
Banned

Maybe I should rephrase the question...will I not see the benefits if I am below maintenance? Also, if not, would it help me in the long run to eat an extra 1000 calories that day so I am over my maintenance by probably 600-700?
Unread 03-14-2013, 08:55 AM

You will not see benefits from a 5 hour refeed at your weight. There is no purpose in it at all. If you feel the need to get away from chicken and broccoli, have a free meal and then continue with dieting.
Unread 03-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violinist View Post
You will not see benefits from a 5 hour refeed at your weight. There is no purpose in it at all. If you feel the need to get away from chicken and broccoli, have a free meal and then continue with dieting.
Yeah, you are probably right. I feel like my weight loss has stalled a bit but I think that has to do with me taking my free meals a bit overboard. My free meals were turning into 2500-3000 calories binges. I have now limited my free meals to 1500 calories (first one was Tuesday) and it seems like a good strategy. Even with my 1500 calories I am still under maintenance for those days, so that is nice. Maybe I will just keep my 1500 calorie cheat meal going for a few weeks and see if my weight starts dropping at a quicker pace (which I think it will) and I can possibly reassess doing a refeed after a few weeks.
Unread 03-14-2013, 02:53 PM

In 3 weeks you still aren't going to need a refeed. You should be honest with yourself and question if you are just trying to rationalize another method of binging.

What sort of diet are you running? You mentioned elsewhere that PSMF doesn't work for you, and with 1500 calories 'cheat meals' it seems really unlikely you are spending a lot of time glycogen depleted. Are you strength training? Running or biking for extended distances?

Bottom line - with a lot of weight to lose and only a brief time dieting, there is no reason at all for a refeed.