BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 05-02-2018, 03:59 AM

Talking Starting Over at 35

Male, 35 yo, ~215 lbs.

I've rediscovered my love for training, after about a decade's hiatus. So that's not 215 lbs of chiseled awesomeness. Seems like it's mostly just middle-aged gut. I'm starting this log to track my program, honestly because starting off out of shape is a bit disorienting, compared to when I was a teenager and the answer was always, "bulk now, worrying about fat is for old people." And now I'm old people. Fat old people.

What I've been doing:

3x / week legs / pull / push split
Cardio on the off days
and one day of rest (before legs day).

Diet has been ad hoc. By and large, I just cut the crap out of my diet, and added a shake during and after my workout.

Shake = (50gr whey protein, 44gr gatorade powder, 10gr creatine).

I haven't bothered to count my calories (hence what I mean when I say "ad hoc").

Mainly, I just wanted to get to a point where I didn't feel like death after a minute or two of exercise, and lift more than the bar without popping a blood vessle. I'm there, now, so I want to do something more directed.

What I'm Considering:

I want to add LBM, but my midsection is out of control, and somewhere else Lyle said something about dieting, first, so I'm thinking I'll do that. Also, I've been having major issues getting daily protein in - or even daily calories, I can go all day without eating if I'm not careful - so I figure I might as well build my diet from the ground up.

What I'm considering is a PSMF, which I suppose I'd run as a category 3 dieter. I'm technically in 2, going by BMI, but the book says borderline cases go into the lower category, so there it is. All of that is easy. Here comes all of the mods, which I promise aren't just to trigger Lyle.

The book suggests two full body workouts and no cardio, at the most. My main hangup with that is that the gym's been doubling as an escape for me. Rest days are a pain. So I'm thinking that I'll keep the three day split (which is already very low volume, almost abbreviated training). I'll replace the cardio with dicking around in the gym, aka foam rolling and stuff. I've always been terrible at warmups, which I thought I could get away with, when I was younger, now I want to get into the habit of doing them.

Diet Base

50gr (protein) as True Nutrition Men's Overnight Formula
- this is just a WPI / Micellar Casein formula that I figured I'd try bc I'm lazy
- I got it with added electrolytes
However much psillium husk I can tolerate mixing in
Carlson's Fish Oil

I realize that this is supposed to be a solid foods diet - and I'll try to make it that as much as possible - but I'm being realistic. And I absolutely hate tuna, which limits my options somewhat. Maybe I'll get sick of protein and get creative. Probably I'll just end up eating a lot of beef jerky, spinach, and crunchy vegetables.

Supplements

Team6 Stimulant-1
Team6 Alpha Yohimbine
NatureWay Cayenne Extra Hot
DHEA
Team6 Starburn-PM
Centrum

The stimulants I take as needed. DHEA is 50mg twice per day, for mood and stress more than anything else. The cayenne is because I love it. The Starburn is for sleep, not fat loss, mostly picked it up because it combines a bunch of things I was already taking before bed into one capsule.

During workout, I might use Xtend, because citrulline malate is awesome.

I may've missed it, in the book, and I'm sure it's probably been asked a million times, but I'm unclear on the issue of creatine while on the PSMF. I'll keep taking that, unless there's compelling reason to discard it, since it's dirt cheap, and seems to do some neat non-fitness related things in the brain.

I have ideas for what to segue into, but know myself well enough to know that there's no sense in making plans this early. Any insights, advice, commentary, and what have you would be appreciated.