BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-14-2018, 12:15 PM

Default Do I have to gain bodyfat to correct hypothalmic amenorrhea?

Hi, this is my first time posting. I just received the Women's Book Volume I, but I'm not finished. I was hoping it could shed some light on correcting my amenorrhea. However, I'm impatient and I want answers now. I did not see a post giving me the info I seek.

I am 42 years old and have had amenorrhea for about a year. I am 5'7", 135-138 lbs. I am not certain of my bodyfat because it can vary widely from persons doing caliper readings and I know it's not accurate. My trainer measured me around 12-14% and the handheld machine has me at about 17%.

I like the way I look and frankly, don't want to change it. But I know it's unhealthy not to have a period. I am not yet in menopause. I was under a great deal of stress the past few years and I competed in bikini competitions. I now have hypothyroidism and low progesterone, estrogen and testosterone. I lift 4-5 times a week and do HIIT cardio about 2 times a week.

My question is, is it possible to correct my amenorrhea without gaining bodyfat? From what I understand, this is likely caused by having an inadequate energy intake relative to high energy expenditure. It's not necessarily the bodyfat. So, I need to intake more calories? I eat between 1500-1800. I like to train and I like to train hard. However, I've been dieting for many years and now I'm not even sure what my basal metabolic rate is. Can I correct this and maintain my physique?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I really need help! My naturopath is really no help with this.
Unread 03-15-2018, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Generally speaking yes. at the very least you need to restore energy availability to a sufficient level. And this will generally come with an increase in weight and BF%.