BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-20-2018, 03:08 AM

Default Question on Breaks and Transitions

I have gotten very lean with visible abs (Male, early 30's, 5'8", 165 lbs). I desire to have more muscle mass in the long run and not totally satisfied although I have made progress from years ago. Carbs are very low right now with refeeds every 11-14 days.

I have calculated my theoretical maintenance based bf% and my body weight. I am going to take a "diet break" for about a week or so coinciding with a vacation. My intention after is then to go into maintenance and eventually a gradual surplus of calories. I know that body weight will increase, and that there will be a number of other favorable changes coinciding with the higher intake of calories and carbs after dieting.

What is tripping me up mentally is this notion that my calculated maintenance will be useless after my vacation. Is it safe to resume eating on my calculated maintenance after my vacation? Do I screw up some important window by taking a "break" that I have been taught to believe exists after exiting a diet (as opposed to strictly monitoring and eating more clean right off the bat)?

FWIW my dedication on diets whether to gain or tighten is solid 90+% of the year but I typically drop weight around the Christmas holidays even when I eat sugar, crap, and other junk because I moderate and feel satisfied enough.

Thank you for reading.
Unread 03-20-2018, 03:38 AM

There is no magical window. There is metabolism. Maintenance is maintenance. This calculation depends on... your metabolism.

What? You seem intelligent up until the point where you stop making any sense at all.
Unread 03-20-2018, 06:23 AM

You still need 2 weeks between cutting and bulking. Assuming week 1 is the vacation week, use your first week home to continue to let weight settle post-diet. Just go off your calculated maintenance and adjust as needed. At most you'll have a 5-10 lb weight increase which could push you up an extra 50-100 cals a day for maintenance. That's within measurement error on most foods.
Unread 03-20-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
There is no magical window. There is metabolism. Maintenance is maintenance. This calculation depends on... your metabolism.

What? You seem intelligent up until the point where you stop making any sense at all.
Thank you. I think it's some crap I picked up from somewhere else messing with my mind. Indeed I was truly making no sense.
Unread 03-21-2018, 05:46 AM

Calculated maintenance is basically just an estimate. We use it because you have to start somewhere, but in practice you often have to adjust things based on real world results. It's hard to know exactly how your body will respond post-vacation.