BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-27-2018, 12:09 PM

Default Somewhat novel idea for weight loss and body recomp, thoughts?

I was thinking of alternating two weeks at a pretty heavy deficit (not close to rfl but maybe two thirds of maintenance) with little exercise (lifting and exercise seems to make me ravenous) with two weeks of maintenance or slightly above with a good amount of lifting for two weeks. Repeat until I get to goal weight and body composition.

This study suggests two weeks diet and two weeks maintenance alternating is superior to just straight dieting.

https://www.nature.com/articles/ijo2017206

Anyway, do you guys think this plan is better than just moderate deficit with some lifting?
Unread 03-27-2018, 06:12 PM

What's novel about it?
Unread 03-27-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch7 View Post
What's novel about it?
To be honest, maybe something like this has been tried or promoted before. Do you know of any examples of something similar? I know that there are people that alternate dieting on non workout days and eating a surplus on workout days, but that is a bit different.

Maybe I am wrong though. Maybe someone will link me to someone promoting doing exactly this, or something extremely similar. I guess I will see how it goes though and report back.

EDIT:

Found one that seems very similar:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/bulldozer-...ulking-system/

Anyway, the plans I found that are somewhat similar are more about bulking than losing weight for someone obese like me, so slightly different but clearly not all that novel.

Last edited by manofsteel : 03-27-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Unread 03-28-2018, 06:50 AM

I guess the real question is for an obese beginner, would the two weeks of lifting at or slightly above maintenance make up for or even exceed the muscle loss in the two weeks of cutting (assuming adequate protein during both cutting and bulking cycles, but while not lifting during the cutting).
Unread 03-28-2018, 08:07 AM

I didn't read the articles and am no expert, but pretty much anything works for someone who is an average obese person. What are your goals, training status, weight, etc.?

If doing this kind of alternating thing will help you stick to your diet, then have at it. I don't think you need to worry about muscle loss or muscle gain.
Unread 03-28-2018, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel View Post
I guess the real question is for an obese beginner, would the two weeks of lifting at or slightly above maintenance make up for or even exceed the muscle loss in the two weeks of cutting (assuming adequate protein during both cutting and bulking cycles, but while not lifting during the cutting).
If you diet correctly you should lose ZERO muscle to begin with.
Unread 03-28-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
If you diet correctly you should lose ZERO muscle to begin with.
Even without resistance training? And by dieting correctly I am assuming you mean adequate protein?
Unread 03-28-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Even without resistance training? And by dieting correctly I am assuming you mean adequate protein?
The keyword In that sentence was "correctly"
Unread 03-28-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
The keyword In that sentence was "correctly"
I am aware. So the question is what is correct dieting. I am aware that adequate protein is the most important factor, but are there others? I am also aware as calories go down adequate protein increases. So the question is does "correct" dieting mean something more than enough protein, and if so, what?
Unread 03-28-2018, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I am aware. So the question is what is correct dieting. I am aware that adequate protein is the most important factor, but are there others? I am also aware as calories go down adequate protein increases. So the question is does "correct" dieting mean something more than enough protein, and if so, what?

sufficient protein + proper resistance training

Read the main site and stop overthinking