BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-06-2018, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
sufficient protein + proper resistance training

Read the main site and stop overthinking
I completely understand this. What I am saying though is that lifting weights increases my hunger to a point that dieting becomes very hard. So would I be able to diet pretty hard for two weeks at a time with some easy walking as my only exercise, then eat at or slightly above maintenance for two weeks while lifting, and alternate between the two, would it kind of just even out, or possibly even increase my muscle mass while losing fat.

I guess it is all theoretical right now. I will let you guys know how it goes. But for me personally, as someone whose hunger is through the roof while lifting on a deficit, I think it is probably the best plan.
Unread 04-06-2018, 07:27 AM

I don't think it's a optimal approach to be honest OP.

Two weeks stopping lifting wouldn't help you retain muscle mass to the maximum amount (I don't know enough about how detrimental it would be to retention but it can't help). We do kinda want to lose fat and hold onto our muscle mass at the same time for teh maximum physiques :-) If you're an obese beginner as I assume from your last posts you're one of the few groups that can actually gain muscle AND lose fat at the same time. Gaining muscle is good to hang your bodyfat on. Excess fat can contour sooooo much better with a bit of muscle than not.

It sounds like to me you have more issues with hunger management maybe. If you have problems with hunger there are ways to get rid of the hunger without it causing you to go over on the calorie targets for the day.

-Eating foods with a lower calorie density and maybe high in fibre. e.g. so things that take up a lot of physical space but are relatively low cal (veg, low fat greek yogurts are outstanding but there's loads more. You should have these ones always in your fridge/house. There's probably google image ordered lists showing low cal per gram choices and higher ones for reference.

-eating more protein as it's more satiating, My target of 210g+ per day I really struggle to hit. I can't even imagine something like 300g a day protein (which is only 1200 remember).

-preparing for periods when you feel hungry (have an apple/low fat greek yogurt in the cupboard to stop you going to the vending machine if you get a hunger pang),

-coffee/diet soda/water other stuff to fill your stomach and suppress appetite give your taste buds a sweet hit.

-meal timing if it's an issue (for me I can struggle in work from lunch to dinner period so I've incorporated a late afternoon meal in my day recently).

-even preparing/planning (or at the least) THINKING about what you'll eat the next day helps also. It's days I don't have a plan that I can go a lot over. It's easier to pick up a pastry on the go rather than lean protein and veg imo.

Also, dieting doesn't have to be 2 week on/2 week off, all-or-nothing, on the diet or not on the diet approach. I've been using Lyle's flexible approach from his book (GFD) and mindset with great success for the past 8 weeks. The best approach I've ever found. Sooooo much easier that other more restrictive ways. Psychology of it was a game changer for me.

Some days I want to go over my daily allowance eating stuff that's not good from a low calorie diet perspective that pushed me over (few bowls of sugary cereal or a takeaway/pizza). As long as it's not all-out binges for weeks at a time there's only so much damage you can do. Last week I went over or very close over my calorie targets for about 7 days straight. I didn't stress about it, I considered myself definitely still 'on' my diet but just eating a bit more because I felt a bit sick/run down. This week after literally (mildly) pigging out for a week I had a 2kg+ 'whoosh'.

P.S. You say lifting weights causes hunger issues? Is that after you lift? The next day? If it's always the same particular time you could develop strategies to counteract it next time? Good luck OP. Sorry for the screed here lol.

Last edited by jimike : 04-06-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Unread 04-06-2018, 09:18 AM

I am an obese beginner and weight loss is by far my priority over being strong or muscular.

Hunger from lifting is usually the next day or whenever soreness is present. I could power through the hunger and lift while on a deficit but it becomes miserable and I end up eating way more than if I wasn't lifting. So basically this is pretty much my best solution and it will actually make my weight loss more effective anyway (the two weeks maintenance two weeks diet). I don't view 2 weeks maintenance as off my diet because it is part of my diet. And I am sticking to maintenance basically, not just eating whatever I want.

I guess we will see how it goes but I think it will work well. Is it ideal to not lift for 2 weeks while on a deficit; probably not. But it is certainly better than trying and ending up binge eating, which has been the result pretty consistently in the past.
Unread 04-09-2018, 08:16 PM

There was also the ABCDE diet, back in the 20th century.
https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/abcde-diet