BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-22-2018, 06:49 AM

Default Snacks and Protein

When I got into fitness many years ago, it was definitely on the bodybuilding side of things. The general consensus (as I recall anyway) was that anytime you ate it was considered a feeding or a meal, and every feeding or meal should include protein. This would include even small snacks.

What I wonder is, how necessary is this?

Let's take someone who eats a typical breakfast/lunch/dinner pattern and has fairly long days (including a commute) and the timing goes something like this:

Breakfast: 6am-6:30am
Lunch: 12:30pm-1pm
Dinner: 7pm-7:30pm

I find this completely acceptable and roughly what I do (typically slightly more compressed but my schedule allows it.) I also think some additional protein/carbs around a workout is a good idea but let's ignore that for now.

What advice do you give someone who might realistically have 6 hours between meals? It seems odd to tell someone that they can't have a healthy snack-- for example a piece of fruit, or celery with peanut butter-- between meals because it doesn't have (enough) protein.

In many cases the person merely just needs to adapt to what is typically a reduced eating frequency and they'd be fine, but not everyone sees it like that. There might also be other reasons to eat more frequently e.g. keeping blood sugar more stable.

So what's the consensus on this? Let's say the person eats 3 main meals, and these meals (along with possibly some protein/carbs around their workout) contain all the protein they need for the day. Is it beneficial to add protein to small snacks inbetween meals as well, and if so-- why?

Last edited by AlphaBettor : 05-22-2018 at 06:54 AM.
Unread 05-22-2018, 08:05 AM

End of the day the total matters more than the meal distribution. Nothing says though that if you want a snack in between meals that you can't eat some fruit or almonds, etc. It doesn't all have to be perfectly protein and carbs every time you eat. It's all brotastic dogma that says you are not allowed to "snack."
Unread 05-22-2018, 10:35 AM

https://bodyrecomposition.com/resear...h-review.html/

"As discussed in The Protein Book in some detail, meal frequency only really matters when protein intake is inadequate in the first place."

"In any case, let me sum up the results of this review: Meal frequency per se has essentially no impact on the magnitude of weight or fat loss except for its effects on food intake. If a high meal frequency makes people eat more, they will gain weight. Because they are eating more. And if a high meal frequency makes people eat less, they will lose weight. Because they are eating less. But itís got nothing to do with stoking the metabolic fire or affecting metabolic rate on a day to day basis. As the researchers state above"

You're welcome.
Unread 05-22-2018, 02:21 PM

There was a belief that higher meal frequency will keep protein synthesis somewhat constant. But then studies came out showing that spiking protein synthesis 3-4 times a day is better. So you spike it with protein meal, let it go down, spike it again, etc. Lyle also talked about it somewhere on Facebook IIRC. That's how I eat, like you put it in your example. Pre- WO meal, Post-WO meal and dinner (I prefer casein before bedtime, to keep those amin0 acidZ floating around). Sometimes I'll throw in a snack, like walnuts, almonds or some other stuff with high monounsaturated fats and pretty low protein.
Unread 05-24-2018, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the replies. These are things I already knew, but my bodybuilder OCD has been flaring up on me recently. Bear with me.

I think the examples I gave (piece of fruit, or celery with peanut butter) were not so good, because they were too far on the 'obviously ok' side of things. Maybe higher calorie and/or faster digesting options with no significant protein source would have made it a more interesting discussion though I'm not sure where I'd recommend such a thing in the first place.

Last edited by AlphaBettor : 05-24-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Unread 05-24-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post
Thanks for the replies. These are things I already knew, but my bodybuilder OCD has been flaring up on me recently. Bear with me.

I think the examples I gave (piece of fruit, or celery with peanut butter) were not so good, because they were too far on the 'obviously ok' side of things. Maybe higher calorie and/or faster digesting options with no significant protein source would have made it a more interesting discussion though I'm not sure where I'd recommend such a thing in the first place.
End of day hit your macros and calories. The rest won't matter unless you're getting extremely close to some competition. And don't make your diet 85% Pringles.