BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-07-2018, 05:34 AM

Default Advanced German Volume Training

Charles Poliquin has put out an Advanced German Volume training program for the advanced trainee.

In the original version you picked a weight you could do 20 reps and do 10 reps. You rest 60 seconds and do another 10.

Continue this until you get 10 sets of 10 reps.

Poliquin claims that 10 reps is a waste of time for the advanced lifter. An advanced lifter needs more intensity. Hence he/she does 10 sets of 5 with a weight you can do 10 reps with.

With both schemes you progress the weight after you can complete 10 sets of 5 ( or 10) with the original weight.

If the aim is hypertrophy, what opinion do readers have of this scheme?
Unread 06-07-2018, 03:08 PM

Gvt pretty lame overall. 10x5 with what kinda weight? Something like a 6 to 8 rm wouldn't be too shabby I guess but would take a lot of time doing solely tension work. Something like 3 to 5 sets of 5 followed by half those sets in 6 to 15 probably would do you better for hypertrophy.
Unread 06-09-2018, 07:50 AM

Try it and let us know how it goes. At 10x5, I think you'd have to start with something in the 12-15RM range.

It's usually an excessive number of sets but with the adjustment in intensity, you might find some very limited usage. Reminds me of what Stuart McRobert called cumulative fatigue training (6x6, 1 minute rests) and has some similarities with density training... by various authors, basically the idea being to focus on increasing the amount of work you do in a given time, not improving the performance of any given set.

Last edited by AlphaBettor : 06-09-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Unread 06-12-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post
Try it and let us know how it goes. At 10x5, I think you'd have to start with something in the 12-15RM range.

It's usually an excessive number of sets but with the adjustment in intensity, you might find some very limited usage. Reminds me of what Stuart McRobert called cumulative fatigue training (6x6, 1 minute rests) and has some similarities with density training... by various authors, basically the idea being to focus on increasing the amount of work you do in a given time, not improving the performance of any given set.
Then there's always myo-reps and DC training for effective reps in a time condensed workout.

Just another option, but may have more overall quality effective reps with DC/Myo rather than lots of sets of sub max weights.

Who knows. Tons of methods and madness out there.
Unread 06-20-2018, 11:50 AM

Interesting I was just coming in here to start a topic on Escalation Density Training and ask if people have tried or had success with this. It's very ssimilar to German volume training (which isn't actually German so it's just a clever name).

Anecdotal, but the girl i work out beside seemingly everyday does a form of this. She picks a weight she can clearly do sets of 5-6 with and does like 8-10 sets of 3 with relatively short intervals. I'll estimate 90-120 seconds.

Her hypertrophy is off the charts and her technique is some of the best I've ever seen.

I tried this today. I think it's a great way to develop improved technique, limit injury risk, and supplement a strength building program.

I have a lot of prior injuries and I know i have a lot of power leaks from improper mechanics so I'm really going to give this a go for a little while and see how I like it. Switching back and forth with some 3x5 with long rest interval days of course.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.