BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-13-2018, 10:07 AM

Question Please help me work this out - spinning my wheels.

Hi.

I’ve attached a picture of my current physique at the bottom.
My stats are: Male, 145lbs, 5’10”, probably around 15% body fat(?).

I have a pretty bad case of wheel spinning.
I stated at 120lbs and bulked to 145 about 15% body fat. Put on a decent amount of size and looked quite a lot different. This was a sucess.
I then decided before continuing my muscle gaining I’d do a cut so that I didn’t have to go any higher than 15% body fat. The idea was I’d cut to 10% and then carry on bulking, maintaining a range between 10-15% as I went from bulking to cutting until I reached my goal of 180lbs at 10% body fat.

Tried cutting, didn’t really lose much fat and after much confusion found I was simply eating too much, but that to actually start losing fat to reach my 10% goal I’d need to be eating 1200 calories. (I still ended up ten pound s lighter at 135lbs after the “cut”, but I’m guessing this was mostly water weight).
I decided I’d abandon that goal and carry on bulking. That way, I thought, I’d add some more muscle to head towards my ultimate goal and be at a heavier body weight so I wouldn’t need to be in such little calories for cutting.
I had a maintaniance week as advised by an article on the main site, and went up a few pounds ending up basically back where I started at 145lbs after adding back the water, presumably.

I then went on a bulk from here to 162lbs. Added a decent amount of strength but also some fat. I went past 15% here, maybe towards 18% body fat.
Then decided I’d cut the fat and go to 10% as I originally planned, again with the idea that now I’d gained some more weight, I’d be on higher calories than 1200.
I cut all the fat off that I’d gained on the bulk with an intake of about 1500, but then ended up where I am now at 145...where I started.
Which must’ve meant a large part of that 162lbs frame I had was water weight, because I certainly hadn’t lost 15lbs of fat.
I don’t see any point in trying to reach the 10% goal as I’ll be in the same situation I was before with insanely low calories. Clearly I don’t have enough mass to reach that goal without starving myself.

All in all, I’m in pretty much the same place I was when I began, albeit a bit stronger. Same body fat as before, and I think very similar levels of musculature if not the same.
Because of this I don’t really know what was made up of the weight I gained from 145 to 162lbs. Obviously some was fat, hopefully some was muscle but as I say a great deal with was water. With this being the case what’s even the point?
It seems I can’t go from cutting tombulking or viceversa without essentially weighing and looking the same.

I can’t cut because of the aforementioned, but bulking just seems to result in just me retaining a load of water and getting a bit fatter.
What should be my first step here? Presumably I should aim for gaining muscle now (so I’m on a maintaince phase now following The cut to get ready for that). As far as how I need to approach bulking I don’t know.
I was considering doing either Lyle’s UD2 or maybe generic bulking, but honestly, I’m worried I’m just going to screw It up again and spin my wheels.
I’m worried I’m just going to end up looking fat, and that yo-yo of build muscle, lose fat while retaining the muscle and repeat resulting in a net gain isn’t going to happen. There seems a lot of room for error, and I don’t really want to be 18% upwards as I was when I ended the bulk before. That seems unavoidable though, because I can’t seem to get past 15% without insainly low calories.
Or maybe I should just grin and bare it and do the 1200 calorie cut. It was pretty aweful when I did it last time for a month, and I wasn’t really seeing anything happen other than depleted muscle glycogen so it might be that I needed to be even lower. That’s dieting though, I guess.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks a lot for reading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1855F0CE-8193-425E-A7A2-90304DA4B30E.jpg (11.5 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by krk24 : 04-13-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Unread 04-13-2018, 10:32 AM

145 to 162... In how long?
162 back to 145..in how long?
Lifting routine/frequency?
Protein intake during last cut?

My ERFL log
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=34596
Unread 04-13-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaloum View Post
145 to 162... In how long?
162 back to 145..in how long?
Lifting routine/frequency?
Protein intake during last cut?
Sorry I omitted that info, thought Iíd wrote it in.
My routine hasnít changed throughout my time lifting (a year)
Full body three days a week, with two consecutive days off at the weekend.
Protein intake on my last cut was 185g.

145 to 162 was four months.
I went from 162 to 145 in about a month over all. Had a diet break for a week in the Middle.

Thanks
Unread 04-14-2018, 08:18 AM

Well, everything seems on point.

Whatever you do, make sure you're accurate in both calorie counting (The prob could be as simple as undereating during cuts) and bodyfat estimations. IMO u look a bit leaner than 15% on that photo but we have nothing to compare it to so you could be off estimating starting and ending bodyfat %.

U can always bulk with smaller surplus to keep fat gains to a minimum and cut less aggressively (1200-1500 with 185g of protein is more like a sloppy RFL/PSMF, which is still a bit extreme and maybe you dont respond well to very low caloric intakes).

But if regular cut/bulk cycles are not for you i would give UD2 a shot (Im always for the more extreme approaches). It is kind of a recomposition program (unless u do the mass version) but results are much, much faster than any other way of recomp.
If it worked for me (had similar issues once upon a time) u can make it work for you too, just follow it to the letter.

My ERFL log
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=34596
Unread 04-29-2018, 09:30 PM

Not reading that wall of text but 145-162 isn't that bad. You gain a decent amount of water bulking. Personally you haven't bulked long enough. You are doing what a lot of skinny guys do. Bulk a little, gain some water weight, freak out and try to get back down.

Id recommend finding a small surplus (300-500 calories a day) and bulking from there for a year. Then diet back down when you've built up some consistent mass.

Also consider posting your workout. That could possibly be a problem with not getting enough volume in your fullbody.