BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-02-2018, 03:59 AM

Talking Starting Over at 35

Male, 35 yo, ~215 lbs.

I've rediscovered my love for training, after about a decade's hiatus. So that's not 215 lbs of chiseled awesomeness. Seems like it's mostly just middle-aged gut. I'm starting this log to track my program, honestly because starting off out of shape is a bit disorienting, compared to when I was a teenager and the answer was always, "bulk now, worrying about fat is for old people." And now I'm old people. Fat old people.

What I've been doing:

3x / week legs / pull / push split
Cardio on the off days
and one day of rest (before legs day).

Diet has been ad hoc. By and large, I just cut the crap out of my diet, and added a shake during and after my workout.

Shake = (50gr whey protein, 44gr gatorade powder, 10gr creatine).

I haven't bothered to count my calories (hence what I mean when I say "ad hoc").

Mainly, I just wanted to get to a point where I didn't feel like death after a minute or two of exercise, and lift more than the bar without popping a blood vessle. I'm there, now, so I want to do something more directed.

What I'm Considering:

I want to add LBM, but my midsection is out of control, and somewhere else Lyle said something about dieting, first, so I'm thinking I'll do that. Also, I've been having major issues getting daily protein in - or even daily calories, I can go all day without eating if I'm not careful - so I figure I might as well build my diet from the ground up.

What I'm considering is a PSMF, which I suppose I'd run as a category 3 dieter. I'm technically in 2, going by BMI, but the book says borderline cases go into the lower category, so there it is. All of that is easy. Here comes all of the mods, which I promise aren't just to trigger Lyle.

The book suggests two full body workouts and no cardio, at the most. My main hangup with that is that the gym's been doubling as an escape for me. Rest days are a pain. So I'm thinking that I'll keep the three day split (which is already very low volume, almost abbreviated training). I'll replace the cardio with dicking around in the gym, aka foam rolling and stuff. I've always been terrible at warmups, which I thought I could get away with, when I was younger, now I want to get into the habit of doing them.

Diet Base

50gr (protein) as True Nutrition Men's Overnight Formula
- this is just a WPI / Micellar Casein formula that I figured I'd try bc I'm lazy
- I got it with added electrolytes
However much psillium husk I can tolerate mixing in
Carlson's Fish Oil

I realize that this is supposed to be a solid foods diet - and I'll try to make it that as much as possible - but I'm being realistic. And I absolutely hate tuna, which limits my options somewhat. Maybe I'll get sick of protein and get creative. Probably I'll just end up eating a lot of beef jerky, spinach, and crunchy vegetables.

Supplements

Team6 Stimulant-1
Team6 Alpha Yohimbine
NatureWay Cayenne Extra Hot
DHEA
Team6 Starburn-PM
Centrum

The stimulants I take as needed. DHEA is 50mg twice per day, for mood and stress more than anything else. The cayenne is because I love it. The Starburn is for sleep, not fat loss, mostly picked it up because it combines a bunch of things I was already taking before bed into one capsule.

During workout, I might use Xtend, because citrulline malate is awesome.

I may've missed it, in the book, and I'm sure it's probably been asked a million times, but I'm unclear on the issue of creatine while on the PSMF. I'll keep taking that, unless there's compelling reason to discard it, since it's dirt cheap, and seems to do some neat non-fitness related things in the brain.

I have ideas for what to segue into, but know myself well enough to know that there's no sense in making plans this early. Any insights, advice, commentary, and what have you would be appreciated.
Unread 05-03-2018, 11:04 AM

so many supplements, yet so little effort in the gym.

the only supplement you will ever need is your mind and willpower to succeed and take the maximum out of yourself. both in the gym and outside of the gym.

the rest will follow, regardless of the program you pick...
Unread 05-03-2018, 02:24 PM

Lots of supplements. You are a great consumer! Whatever works
Unread 05-08-2018, 03:04 AM

Why, because TrueNutrition is getting my money instead of Starkist? Ffs.

I'm pretty embarrassed that I started my log without checking the RFL forum to see if every question about creatine and the diet ever had already been answered though.

Today was day 1.

Meals were protein, psyllium, and either broccoli or chiles. Hunger hasn't been an issue, yet. I'm hoping the lack of carbs won't negatively impact my sleep.

To focus myself psychologically on dieting I've put a pause on progression. I figure if the poundages become too light despite the diet, great, but otherwise focusing on form for a month or however long won't kill me. I've got a fairly significant muscle imbalance between my left and right side that I need to address, anyway - this seems like a good time for that - or am I totally mistaken?

Today was squats, SLDLs, leg extensions, calves, for the legs, and then core work. Everything but the SLDLs felt great. My grip strength just isn't there to get the most of the exercise.

For core I broke a bit from the book's "one exercise per body part" recommendation: suitcase deadlifts, reverse cable side-bends, cable crunches, vertical plate press on the decline bench. There's zero logic to my core work right now. I've read a few articles on what are apparently some of the principles, but I'm still experimenting with what feels productive and putting it altogether.

I've been doing cardio three times per week, and I'm going to give that a shot, tomorrow, and see how it goes. Lyle says a minimum of 20 minutes and a maximum of 40, "at fairly easy intensity." I'm not wholly sure what that means. I usually just run for an hour at 7.5 mph.

I probably should have weighed in when I woke up. After the gym I'm at 212.0.
Unread 05-08-2018, 03:19 AM

another tip
get this I am old and fat mentality out of your head. you are as old as you want to believe. start thinking positively

I am 41 and I consider myself both younger and in better shape then when I was 20. The muscle doesn't pack that easily, true, but being realistic about your goals and enjoying the process is very important

do some full body workouts. get your diet is order. be physically active. and most important be persistent. change your lifestyle

don't be cherry picking about the little details so much. it is contra productive and it takes your attention and focus from the other, more important matters

getting in shape is actually very simple. just challenge yourself and enjoy looking your body and mind transforms...

good luck
Unread 05-09-2018, 03:32 AM

I went back and re-read the section of the book on exercise while on the diet. I think I muddled the recommendations for beginners and advanced lifters in my head, and chicken little'd myself in the process.

Tonight was a cardio night. My cardio sessions are sort of objective-oriented. After legs day I do light running. I have no idea if this actually hurts or helps with recovery, but I feel like I'm not as sore / tight as I would be otherwise. I ran just over 5k at what I guess I'd call a natural pace, not pushing it, not letting the intensity get low enough to annoy me. Enough to sweat a little but not breathe heavily. Came out to just under half an hour. My legs felt a bit heavy, but I always feel that way after working legs. The 5k distance was pretty arbitrarily decided. I'm going to run a race, at some point, so it just seems sensible to cut runs up that way.

I had two chicken breasts and about of cup of broccoli for my solid food today. Shakes for the rest. Chiles for snacks. I think I'm going to shoot for one meal-meal per day. That seems like a realistic starting point.

Weighed in this morning at 208.6 pounds, out of the shower, so I figure that's the weight that I'll use as my start.

Felt like I actually slept better on the diet, or at least was much less groggy when I woke up than I have been.

@muki I considered doing two (lifting) days per week. A basic push-pull split with squats on one day and deads on the other. That turns into significantly longer gym sessions, though, since I want to do warmup sets for the bigger lifts. I already get done lifting a bit later than I'd like.

As for getting diet in order, that's the entire point of this project. Basically rebuilding the diet from the ground up, and eliminating bad habits (like my piss-poor eating schedule) in the process. I think I'm also carrying a lot of visceral fat, unfortunately. I do appreciate that this'll would get dealt with, in the long run, but naturally if it's possible to do more quickly I'd like to give it a shot. I don't wear fat well.
Unread 05-15-2018, 04:12 AM

Weighed in at 204.0 lbs this morning. So that's progress, 7 days in.

As much as it pains me to admit, the biggest benefit of the diet so far has been awareness. Not that I don't know a calorie when I see one, but that I'd been operating with calorie-blindness. I ordered what I thought would be a safe choice of "chicken with asparagus," at a Chinese place tonight. Realized right away that the dish was half oil. That's the sort of thing I would've completely ignored in the past.

Workout-wise

I had a scare with shooting forearm pains after pulling last week. I'd been doing a lot of grip-work, so I've backed off of that in my workout. I'm also trying out what I said I didn't want to do, and moved squats and deadlifts to push and pull days, so I've got a workout A and workout B. I don't know if I'll stick with this, or not. I spend more time on squats and deadlifts than I do on other exercises. Tonight's workout (deadlifts + pulling + core) came out to about two hours. That seems like a lot. I need to find a good alternative for glute-ham raises. My gym doesn't have one of those.

Cardio hasn't been impacted much. I signed up for a 5k and a 10k, just because. I probably won't bother altering my nutrition for these, unless you folks have some suggestions.

Diet-wise

I'm not really sure how long I'm going to stay on this thing. My two cheat meals last week were a grilled chicken sandwich, for one, and bacon and eggs, for the other. Figured I'd try each a protein+carbs and a protein+fat. The PC meal did nothing for me, cheat-wise. I could've just as easily had a chicken breast. I felt a bit warm, after the PF meal, and it was oh-so-satisfying. I seem to crave fats on this diet, not carbs.

That seems to groove well with Lyle's recommendations later in the book. I need to go over that section again, but in my case his rec came out to 250 gr CHO / day. That's 1000 kcal. Plus 165 gr protein or 660 kcal comes out to 1660 kcal. From there I determine my daily caloric need, take 90% of that, subtract the 1660, divide that by 9, and I have my fat needs. For a basic cutting protocol. If I want to stay out of ketosis. I'm not really minding ketosis, though, so really I'm more concerned with which direction is going to make me feel the best and burn the most fat, without compromising progress in the gym.

Do I continue PSMF, and transition into a light bulk, to facilitate some muscle development (since I'm new to training)? Do I continue, into the light cut described? What's the most sensible way to go about this?
Unread 05-15-2018, 03:55 PM

Looks like you're off to a good start! I also started my first go at RFL last week at roughly similar stats (40yo, 216LB starting weight). I've been training for a while but diet hasn't been much of a priority for me so the fat started to outpace the muscle increases.

Have you taken psyllium husk prior to this and are you taking powder or capsules? I'm struggling to get enough fiber in and it's definitely affecting my movements.

Interested to follow your progress. Keep us updated!
Unread 05-16-2018, 03:10 AM

I was weirdly moody today. Sort of sad and irritable, almost depression-like. Didn't want to go to the gym, which is pretty rare. I think my body may've been telling me that it needed some time out to recover from yesterday's workout. LISS tonight was a real drag.

Figured I'd post my current workout, to give context.

Workout A

Deadlift
Lat Pulldown
Bent-over row
Stiff-arm Pulldown
Preacher Curls
Facepulls
Weighted abs / obliques
Farmer's Walk

Workout B

Squats
DB Incline Press
Front Squats
DB Seated Press
Tricep Dip Machine
DB Lat Raises
DB Tri Extensions
Abs / obliques

Squats I'm doing 1x20 @ 15RM, or clusters to get to 20, or a straight set of 20, if I'm having an exceptional day.
Deadlifts are 5x5, 2x3, then 1x5 rest-pause
The other compounds I've been doing 5x5
Isolation I use 2x10

Not a heck of a lot different than Lyle's recommended PSMF workout, which I discovered today, so that's nice.

Ab work varies a bit. Suitcase deadlifts, laying vertical plate presses, cable crunches, reverse cable sidebends, landmine woodchoppers, ab rollouts, and some dragon flag drills are among the exercises I've found that I like. I'm still experimenting with different exercises I find, to see what feels productive.

Silly lifting goals: I want to be able to do weighted dips and chins, again. Those were the bread and butter of younger me's upper-body workout. Back then it was as simple as strapping on a belt, and adding progressively heavier weights to the chain. Now I can't seem to do a single one of either, at bodyweight. I want to get back there. Lat pulldown doesn't bring me nearly the satisfaction that chins do.

I also want to be doing glute-ham raises. My gym doesn't have one of those. Makes me sad.

I've been craving sugar all night, for some reason. And I miss my post-workout protein treat pig-outs. This might sound gross, but I'm finding that a pinch of good old salt goes a long way to interrupting all kinds of cravings.
Unread 05-16-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty McFatso View Post

Workout A

Deadlift
Lat Pulldown
Bent-over row
Stiff-arm Pulldown
Preacher Curls
Facepulls
Weighted abs / obliques
Farmer's Walk

Workout B

Squats
DB Incline Press
Front Squats
DB Seated Press
Tricep Dip Machine
DB Lat Raises
DB Tri Extensions
Abs / obliques

Squats I'm doing 1x20 @ 15RM, or clusters to get to 20, or a straight set of 20, if I'm having an exceptional day.
Deadlifts are 5x5, 2x3, then 1x5 rest-pause
The other compounds I've been doing 5x5
Isolation I use 2x10

Not a heck of a lot different than Lyle's recommended PSMF workout, which I discovered today, so that's nice.
Are you doing 8 sets of deadlifts in each workout, or is that different each week?