BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-03-2017, 07:10 AM

Default Cut to 25% body fat on powerlifting program

Hi All! Iím working on cutting to 25% body fat and Iím having more trouble than I anticipated. For background, Iím 31, female, about 5í4 and currently 215 lbs. I weighed well over 300 pounds in my early 20s and Iíve been as low as 160 a few years ago (which I did with calorie restrictions, 3 hours of cardio a day, very little lifting and probably a bunch of lean mass losses). Iíve since started powerlifting and for the last 2 years thatís been the focus of my training. Iíd like to drop the extra fat to move to the next weight class and boost my Wilks.

Iíve been trying a few things over the past two months, most recently the following:

I've been eating 1785 calories 4 days a week (135 protein, 45 fat and 210 carbs), 1450 2 days a week (135 protein, 45 fat and 135 carbs), and 1200 1 day a week (135 protein, 42 fat and 70 carbs) based on my training schedule and workouts per day. I lost 2.2 lbs in the first week or so (on the chart below starting mid-February through mid-March). I then started stalling and/or losing more slowly. I started to think that I either wasnít eating enough and my body was fighting weight loss, or that my metabolism had been damaged somehow and I was going to have to cut more calories than I would have hoped. I had an RMR test done that showed my resting energy expenditure at 2020 calories when most online calculators estimated 1800 or so. I got off a plane 2 hours before the test, and Iím not sure if that matters, but please let me know if it does. Because the test showed a higher RMR, I increased my calories to 2400 for 5 or 6 days to run an experiment, and I gained for a couple days and then started losing again. I got kind of freaked out and so Iím back to about 1700 a day for the moment while I continue with my research.

For exercise I do 4 powerlifting training sessions per week. Each of those sessions consist of three movements ranging anywhere from 4 - 7 sets. Rep range is anywhere between 3 - 10. Max raw lifts are around 370/195/365 lbs for squat, bench and deadlift. I also do general hypertrophy work 5 - 6 days a week. Usually 3 movements with 4 sets, and reps ranging between 12 - 15. I donít pretend this is a ďgoodĒ bodybuilding program, but I mostly add in accessory work that doesnít get directly worked in powerlifting training and powerlifting is my priority. I add a couple of HIIT sessions per week that last 20 minutes or so, and a couple of steady state sessions also lasting around 20 - 30 minutes. I basically just really enjoy being active.

In addition to the RMR test, Iíve done a couple of bodpod tests and I track my weight (both in the morning and at night as youíll see below). My 12/8/16 bodpod test put me at 37.9% fat with a total mass of 214.4 lbs and my 3/30/17 test (also right after getting off a plane) put me at 38.1% fat with a total mass 215.9 lbs. Thatís about .4 lbs of lean mass gained over about 4 months and 1 lbs of fat.

What Iíd like to do is come up with a better way of handling this, but Iím not sure how I should approach it. Ideally, Iíd like to lose around 2 lbs of fat a week while maintaining as much lean mass as possible. Iíve started working through the articles on the site but thereís a BUNCH of great info that is a little hard to digest so any thoughts or tips on how I could and should proceed would be GREATLY appreciated.

Unread 04-03-2017, 08:35 AM

If your bodyfat percentage and weight is unchanged for 6+ months then you are eating at maintenance. Reduce your intake to create a suitable calorie deficit.

Although you are quite heavy, your TDEE seems low so I assume either you are relatively inactive or aren't tracking your calorie intake accurately.