BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Supplements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-11-2018, 06:41 PM

Default Bupropion and caffeine

Hey

I'm taking Bupropion 300mg (prescription) and I was wondering what other people's experiences have been wrt caffeine consumption.

In other forums people seem to be pretty scared by potential side effects. My doctor said that there's no worry about seizures if I have no history, yet kinda instructed for no more than 2 regular cups of coffee daily.

I used to have 3-4. First couple of days on bupropion I had mild chest pains even on lower caffeine but not anymore. It's been like a week since I increased the dose and decreased caffeine in half and I'm still in zombie mode.

Other people on bupropion, how much caffeine have you been able to consume without adverse effects? Curiosity mostly. Most likely I'll have to suck it up and sip some more decaf!

My ERFL log
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=34596
Unread 03-12-2018, 09:16 AM

Well, your doc is probably right.

Try your usual caffeine dosage once more. If it cause slight chest pain, I wouldn't take it again.

Bupropion shouldn't mess with the heart , but combining it with caffeine might increase risk of seizure.
Unread 03-14-2018, 02:46 AM

They are wrong so often I hate it when they are right

I'm still getting accustomed to the higher dose-induced insomnia so I'm not in a hurry to go back to regular caffeine consumption levels. I would love it if I can make it tho. Nothing beats the energy I get from caffeine.

My ERFL log
Unread 03-14-2018, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaloum View Post
They are wrong so often I hate it when they are right

I'm still getting accustomed to the higher dose-induced insomnia so I'm not in a hurry to go back to regular caffeine consumption levels. I would love it if I can make it tho. Nothing beats the energy I get from caffeine.
True. One of two supplements that are magical.
Unread 03-14-2018, 07:54 AM

I'm on 300 mg as well (as 150 mg SR x 2 daily). I was a longtime consumer of 2 to 3 cups of coffee per day (plus the occasional caffeinated diet soda, and also tea) before starting bupropion, and not being advised otherwise, simply continued this as I started the new prescription. I've been using it for going on four years now. Thinking back, I did have some odd occurrences during what I regarded as the 'adjustment period'...the first couple of months on bupropion, but I regarded these as related simply to the drug itself and not any interactions, but who knows? Things I experienced were a tingling of the lips and tongue, and what I perceived as tremors of the head while in that state of nearly being asleep in bed, but not quite (if you know what I mean). These were odd, and you know, I couldn't even tell you if they were real or not. I could've been dreaming for all I know, or simply imagining them. Either way, all these things ceased after about three, maybe four months on the drug, although recently, I believe I've been experiencing those tremors again (but again, couldn't tell you if they're real or not!)

So yeah, that's my experience. Two to three cups (and these are relatively large cups), plus additional caffeine via soda and tea have been fine for me. I've had occasion to have up to four large cups of coffee seemingly without issue.

For what it's worth!
Unread 03-23-2018, 01:04 PM

Dear Bupropion users:

How does this drug compare to EC?

Have you tried it with EC? Does it help hunger if you're single digit bodyfat?

Get to 10% bodyfat first while lifting weights heavy 3x a week with reduced volume. Two weeks maintenance. Bulk up slowly (1 lb weight gain per week max), focus on getting stronger, measure body composition changes often.
Unread 03-24-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmyoldaccount View Post
Dear Bupropion users:

go read my posts in the bromo thread. I have some info in there on it's effects in at least one post.
4. Use google as well - Add "site:lylemcdonald.com". Google can find those short strings of letters.
5. You are not a rodent so follow up with pubmed (http://pubmed.org) use "+human" "-rat" "-mouse" modifiers
6. Check the STICKY threads.
7. use google to find all my posts.
8. Supplement evidence
9. Private message are cheerfully ignored.
Unread 03-25-2018, 01:55 PM

@kc2010
Thanks for the input! I have eventually become accustomed to it, though it didn't feel possible since I'm quite sensitive to medications. Right now I can have up to 4 strong coffees with no issues. If I can avoid it I do stay at 2, but, life happens

@lostmyoldaccount I haven't tried them together and I'm too scared to. No reason besides.
But i tried EC alone back in 2012 iirc just to see what the fuss was about. Yeah I I ended up a hyperactive mess forcing myself to eat more than 200 cals/day. It was horrible.
Comparing them wrt hunger suppression, EC wins, the difference is massive, at least for me. BUT on EC it went away after a few weeks, whereas with bupropion 1 month or so later and the mild suppression is still there.

Now, any additional benefits I'm aware of (thanks to Myles' posts) are gained by bupropion, i.e better nutrient partioning without a diet or during a caloric surplus.

Only thing that's not clear to me yet is whether this improved partitioning occurs on a deficit as well. For the last ~1.5montg I have been on an EOD refeed kind of diet, lifting 3x/week and a net weekly slight deficit. lost quite a bit of fat and gained some muscle.
Been lifting hard though so not sure if bupropion helped in recomp or not.

Maybe Myles can offer some more insight on that one

My ERFL log
Unread 03-26-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles.Buckley View Post
go read my posts in the bromo thread. I have some info in there on it's effects in at least one post.
Yes, I read them all before. I think you said bupropion is more appetite surppessive than Bromo?

But above me she said EC is way stronger?

For me bromo is much stronger than EC but I can't tolerate it without getting sick. EC doesn't help me much at all, never really did.

If Bupropion > Bromo it would be perfect for me. I might just buy some from a popular generic pharmacy for cheap.

Get to 10% bodyfat first while lifting weights heavy 3x a week with reduced volume. Two weeks maintenance. Bulk up slowly (1 lb weight gain per week max), focus on getting stronger, measure body composition changes often.
Unread 03-28-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmyoldaccount View Post
Dear Bupropion users:

I don't know if bupropion helped me with hunger, to be honest. Maybe a bit? I'm really not sure, because I'm taking it for depression (but in choosing the medicine, I did look at their effects on hunger and so on), and I didn't pay as close of an attention. I did try it with the EC stack, but only for a week or so on two occasions. The first time I tried the combo, I felt my heart beating too strongly and irregularly so I quit, and the second time around I didn't have those issues, but got stim dick

That being said, I am still getting caffeine, and I've gone up to 500-600 mg without any issues. I feel it's doing all the work on the level that I can sense (i.e. hunger and stimulation/wakefulness), and I didn't really get any more positive effects by adding bupropion and then ephedrine for a short period.

Also, yeah, on drugs.com, bupropion and ephedrine are listed as contraindicated. Not sure why, but I think other stimulants are contraindicated with bupropion, too. It's probably the increased seizure risk, like you mentioned.

Last edited by Ryker : 03-28-2018 at 02:39 PM.