BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Guide to Flexible Dieting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-13-2008, 09:18 AM

Default Flexible Dieting

Hi Lyle,

My son is 17 years old 93 kilos, 5 feet 10. He is on PPST novice program.

His Squat is 94 Kilos 3 x5, Dead Lift 100 Kilos.

But we are struggling with his diet, as he plays competitive sport of cricket
( similar to baseball) and his coaches have asked him to lose about 10 kilos in weight. His body fat is about 22 percent.

I just got your book. Appreciate any advice on how we should go about a sustainable diet which will help reduce fat and not effect performance?
Unread 03-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Administrator

what is a PPST novice program?
Unread 03-13-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
what is a PPST novice program?
Sorry, it is Mark Rippetoe's practical programming for strength training (PPST) - Novice 3x5 program
Unread 03-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Administrator

what kind of other conditioning do they have him doing

keep in mind that flexible dieting is not really a diet so much as a bunch of concepts

as well, getting younger kids into the dieting mindset can backfire sometimes

getting him to clean up major problems in his diet (which surely exist, lay off the chips and fried food) and adding a bit of conditioning will probably lean him out without hurting his performance and without getting him into the idea of 'dieting'. if that makes sense.
Unread 03-13-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
what kind of other conditioning do they have him doing

keep in mind that flexible dieting is not really a diet so much as a bunch of concepts

as well, getting younger kids into the dieting mindset can backfire sometimes

getting him to clean up major problems in his diet (which surely exist, lay off the chips and fried food) and adding a bit of conditioning will probably lean him out without hurting his performance and without getting him into the idea of 'dieting'. if that makes sense.
Yes it makes sense, and as you say in the book its really about using up more calories than his intake.

He has a tendency to put on weight rather easily and I suspect food with gravy and starch are not helping his cause. He may also need to cut out the glass of milk everyday?

Trouble is cricket coaches also erroneously believe that weight lifting is making him bulky! Squats are making his I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post. bigger etc, and other such fallacies.

I think its the calories not the squats that are the problem. The squats are making him stronger for sure.

As a batter he needs to hit the ball and do shuttle runs ( 20 yards) in a game situation. So short sprints will help.

He runs his 40 yards in 5 secs ( hand timed so I cannot say how accurate this is)

Unfortunately a lot of the assessment by cricket coaches is arbitrary and coaches are basically looking for lean players with a view that they can be better athletes.

I guess training speed endurance ( repeat sprints) and speed strength will be useful.

Thoughts?
Unread 03-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Administrator

you could try geting him into some extensive tempo training

75% of max speed, durations of 100-300m with walk rest. it's aerobic in nature but won't kill his speed or strength. I'll have to dig up some volume recommendations (this is a Charlie Francis thing).

power athletes don't burn nor need tons of carbs, they just aren't using up glycogen when they only go 20m at a time. so if he's eating tons of starch, that's an easy place to cut back to get calories reduced

that along with some conditioning should do the job IMO
Unread 03-13-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
you could try geting him into some extensive tempo training

75% of max speed, durations of 100-300m with walk rest. it's aerobic in nature but won't kill his speed or strength. I'll have to dig up some volume recommendations (this is a Charlie Francis thing).

power athletes don't burn nor need tons of carbs, they just aren't using up glycogen when they only go 20m at a time. so if he's eating tons of starch, that's an easy place to cut back to get calories reduced

that along with some conditioning should do the job IMO
Thanks Lyle, since the patch of grass nearby is only about 50 yards, he has done tempos at 75 percent effort for 80 yards ( 40x2) x 5 reps x 6 sets = 2400 yards. 30 second recovery between the 80 yards and 1:30 seconds between sets. I picked that from Mladen at Charlie Francis.

But I guess he needs to do this at least twice a week, depending on his game work load? Cricket is a long game lasts the whole day and if he bats well, and scores 50 to 100 runs he would have probably run about 200 shuttles over 20 yards ( because he has to run for the other batter as well.) And then he will also have to field for when the other team bats for few hours.

Will definitely get him to cut down the starch although he does not eat that much like his skinny friends who are genetically 'blessed' to never put on weight!

But estimating calories in foods is a big challenge for a novice like me. Are these online calorie estimations good enough?
Unread 03-13-2008, 07:47 PM

Just purchased and downloaded your e book bundle Rapid Fat Loss handbook as well
Unread 03-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Thanks Lyle, since the patch of grass nearby is only about 50 yards, he has done tempos at 75 percent effort for 80 yards ( 40x2) x 5 reps x 6 sets = 2400 yards. 30 second recovery between the 80 yards and 1:30 seconds between sets. I picked that from Mladen at Charlie Francis.
perfect

Quote:
But I guess he needs to do this at least twice a week, depending on his game work load? Cricket is a long game lasts the whole day and if he bats well, and scores 50 to 100 runs he would have probably run about 200 shuttles over 20 yards ( because he has to run for the other batter as well.) And then he will also have to field for when the other team bats for few hours.
being an ugly American I am no honestly that in tune with cricket. I would say 2X/week minimum. 3x/week if it will fit his schedule but it will depend on his other training load

Quote:
Will definitely get him to cut down the starch although he does not eat that much like his skinny friends who are genetically 'blessed' to never put on weight!

But estimating calories in foods is a big challenge for a novice like me. Are these online calorie estimations good enough?
which estimations are you talking about? I'm not sure what the question is
Unread 03-13-2008, 08:53 PM

which estimations are you talking about? I'm not sure what the question is[/quote]

Thanks, I just found some answers at calorieking.com on the calorie content in various foods. Hopefully as I continue reading and referring to your books and asking you dumb questions, I will become better educated on how to feed him in an optimum way.