BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-22-2017, 10:43 AM

OHP is overrated and blows for hypertrophy.

Front delts are hit well with flat+incline benching. Hit rear delts with some sort of reverse fly (machine is best option) or even face pulls.

For huge side delts go with lateral raises (machine or cable) + properly executed upright rows.
Unread 12-22-2017, 11:16 AM

Well regarding every advice, I'll go with bp+ovh+flys ans ovh+bp+flys and if I'm not pleased with it I'll switch for flat +inclined & Inclined +flat.

I have a question about the 10-12 flat Bench I just performed (so as assistance I've put 2 mins between sets) I did as followed :
1st set 85kg 12reps
2nd 85kg 7reps
3rd 80kg 8reps.

So it's basically an epic fail, when benching for 6-8 reps I'm used to deload between sets to reach the range should I do the same for assistance or should I start with an easier weight ?
Unread 12-23-2017, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyromanXP View Post
I have a question about the 10-12 flat Bench I just performed (so as assistance I've put 2 mins between sets) I did as followed :
1st set 85kg 12reps
2nd 85kg 7reps
3rd 80kg 8reps.

So it's basically an epic fail, when benching for 6-8 reps I'm used to deload between sets to reach the range should I do the same for assistance or should I start with an easier weight ?
Why is that an epic fail? Maybe your RPE in the first set is too high, not leaving enough in the tank for set 2 and 3. Maybe your work capacity is not there. You still managed to squeeze out 27 reps, which is decent volume.

Also, it depends on the way you want to overload. Most people can give it their all in one set. Giving it your all in multiple sets is much harder and most won't be able to do that mentally and physically. So, it's a legit strategy to go all out in your first set to force overload and perform a few back-off sets afterwards.

Personally I'm a fan of reverse pyramid, which is kind of a hybrid version of both the "RPE" and "all out" strategies.
Unread 12-23-2017, 07:59 AM

You just did heavy overhead press before the bench. Triceps had probably done all they could. It’s why general advice is to do a chest isolation instead of pressing as the second movement.
Unread 01-31-2018, 10:47 AM

I wanted to do a GBR variant with an emphasis on upper body and calves for my next bulk cycle. A friend of mine and I came up with this:

Lower+Arms/Upper/Rest/Calves+Arms/Upper/Rest repeat

-Upper
bench 3-4x6-8
rows 3-4x6-8
shoulder press 3x10-12
pulldowns 3x10-12
lateral raises 3x10-12
flyes 3x10-12
abs 2x15

-Arms
Tris iso 3-4x10-12
Bis iso 3-4x10-12

-Calves
Calf raises 5x5
Bent knee calf raises 3-4x8-10

-Lower
Squat 3-4x6-8
Deadlifts 2-4x5
Leg press 3x12
Leg curl 3x12
Calf raises 5x5
Bent knee calf raises 3-4x8-10

Any suggestions? I only really care about calves as far as lower body is concerned
Unread 03-05-2018, 01:13 PM

I got a lagging chest and shoulders, so i have added dumbell press on both upper days, but where should i add shoulders and traps, also i got a bad posture, so i need to strengthen my rear delts.

How could i split it up and add in those.
Unread 03-19-2018, 07:33 PM

I want to make sure I understand something correctly. I searched through the thread and found some posts discussing this but I may have missed some other posts so I donít know if the advice has changed.
I have been doing this routine for 3 weeks (1 week at max weight). I have been doing barbell over-head press and I added cable cross-overs since I am not training chest on my second pressing exercise.
If I am understanding the advice in this thread correctly, I would be better off doing lateral raises as well as chest isolation, instead of the second compound pressing exercise, because triceps will be too tired from flat bench so they will fail before shoulders are tired?
Is this still correct or is it better to do a second compound press if I can handle it? If I donít do a second compound press, should I do the same number of sets of tricep isolation (1-2) as recommended in the original write-up? I noticed in the split-routine sequencing article, the upper-lower split has 2-3 sets of tricep isolation is this an advanced routine or is it due to not having a second compound press?
Unread 03-20-2018, 04:23 AM

Hi everyone, I was thinking about my GBR (as usual...) during my last workout, as I am currently cutting I reduced volume to the minimum set number of my scheme:
upper 1:
3-4x6-8 bench press -> 3
3-4x6-8 chest sup row -> 3
2-3x10-12 ohp -> 2
2-3x10-12 chins -> 2
1-2x12-15 flys -> 1
2-3x8-12 lateral raises -> 2
1-2x12-15 biceps curl -> 1
1-2x12-15 skullcrushers -> 1
1-2x12-15 face pulls -> 1

(and same goes for lower day)

My question is : when and why should I add sets when I will be bulking again ?
Honestly, I feel that I could add more weight on the bar staying on the lower number of set on each exercise, it's definitely easier to reach the high boundary on less sets, so, when is it beneficial to add more sets ? The point is definitely not well explained on the main post :/ Is it just too little volume to get gains ? I mean why wouldn't growth occurs if there is progressive overload even on a very small amount of sets ?
Unread 03-20-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyromanXP View Post
My question is : when and why should I add sets when I will be bulking again ?
Honestly, I feel that I could add more weight on the bar staying on the lower number of set on each exercise, it's definitely easier to reach the high boundary on less sets, so, when is it beneficial to add more sets ? The point is definitely not well explained on the main post :/ Is it just too little volume to get gains ? I mean why wouldn't growth occurs if there is progressive overload even on a very small amount of sets ?
Use the Eric Helms (I think it's his) formula of:

1. Not progressing but feeling good then do more
2. Not progressing but feeling beat up then do less
3. Progressing then don't change a think
Unread 03-30-2018, 01:20 PM

Just moved. New company has a pretty nice gym and it is free and more importantly, constantly close to empty. Two squat racks and in three visits haven't seen anyone else use either.

Problem is the leg curl machine just doesn't work for me. Assuming I am doing back squat, RDL, leg press I am thinking I probably find a way to brace my feet for a Nordic leg curl? There is this glute kickback machine thing I have never seen before as an option. I also have a normal adjustable cable tower. Any thoughts? Any good option I am missing (good morning, sldl)?