BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-17-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
Do you do these with a flat back at the bottom or rounded to work the lower back isometrically vs. dynamically?
I actually round the lumbar area just a bit to hit the erectors. When i go down i let the low back round a bit and go straighter as I near the top then hold it for a sec if that makes sense. My erectors are def holding size built from GMs and other stuff just fine with thes3
Unread 01-17-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriots2 View Post
The over/near & under maintenance varying days seem a good way to cut, especially muscle wise.
I think it helps things hum along nicely, by giving your body a small break each week, similar to UD2.

As a side note, I've noticed in the past few months, that after holidays/events (social events, weddings, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's) in which I overeat and enjoy myself a bit more a few weekends in a row, I put on a pound or so...but when I get back to dieting the fat just flies off.

While those weren't official diet breaks in the sense that I was eating at maintenance every day (I'd throw in diet days in between the weekends to mitigate fat gain), they still seemed to accomplish what a true diet break does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriots2 View Post
But Your caloric varying approach can be great if the patience is there and help recovery with that volume, which you seem to have. It’s better to live sub-10, then fight back and forth. Too much frustration.
Well, I'm probably more in the 12 - 15% range now, but I think varying calories like that only helps more the leaner you get. I actually slowly adopted this approach as I got closer to 10% and then eventually below 10%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
I actually round the lumbar area just a bit to hit the erectors. When i go down i let the low back round a bit and go straighter as I near the top then hold it for a sec if that makes sense. My erectors are def holding size built from GMs and other stuff just fine with thes3
Cool. I think I'll use this as my hip hinge exercise, keep reps high (15 - 20), as my previous workout routine had back extensions in it, at 2 x 20 reps (pad was higher though, back was flat, I think).

I also like higher reps for something like this that directly involves the lower back. Plus, it's a slightly different movement than before, so I need to figure that out before adding a lot of weight.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by alcahuetej : 01-17-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Unread 01-21-2018, 12:51 PM

So, I tried out the back extensions today. It was great for the lower back, but I didn't feel it much in the glutes/hamstrings. I had the pad low enough, right around the crotch.

I was also getting this dull pain on the medial side of both of my knees. This has been an issue for a few weeks, and I can't really figure out what's causing it. It seems to be whenever my legs are locked out.

My best guess is that lying leg curls and calf raises on the seated calf raise machine (it mimics a standing calf raise, your knees are straight) are both causing issues at lock out.

I haven't really been able to appreciably mimic the pain during any exercise, except today during back extensions. I've done back extensions before, as recent as a month or two ago, with no issues. But I used to have the pad set much higher, at the point of my waist.
Unread 01-21-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
So, I tried out the back extensions today. It was great for the lower back, but I didn't feel it much in the glutes/hamstrings. I had the pad low enough, right around the crotch.

I was also getting this dull pain on the medial side of both of my knees. This has been an issue for a few weeks, and I can't really figure out what's causing it. It seems to be whenever my legs are locked out.

My best guess is that lying leg curls and calf raises on the seated calf raise machine (it mimics a standing calf raise, your knees are straight) are both causing issues at lock out.

I haven't really been able to appreciably mimic the pain during any exercise, except today during back extensions. I've done back extensions before, as recent as a month or two ago, with no issues. But I used to have the pad set much higher, at the point of my waist.
This is absolutely brotastic but i never felt hams work during back extensions till i really nailed doing good mornings, rdls, and hammer seated leg curls to develop a really strong "mind muscle connection". Actually come to think of it,, learning how to pose actually really let me nail working muscles in a ton of movements.
Unread 01-22-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
This is absolutely brotastic but i never felt hams work during back extensions till i really nailed doing good mornings, rdls, and hammer seated leg curls to develop a really strong "mind muscle connection". Actually come to think of it,, learning how to pose actually really let me nail working muscles in a ton of movements.
Regardless, if back extensions are hurting my knees, then I may have to choose something else. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

I tried single leg RDLs today with light weight and those actually felt pretty good. Less low back involvement than regular RDLs, and I could really feel it in my glutes/hamstrings.
Unread 03-13-2018, 04:22 AM

How do people feel about ADDING day 4 and day 5 together into one workout to accomplish the four day split from the original five days? The layout of days four and five are below for reference.

I find days 4 and 5 are a shorter anyway than the other days as the RPE is lower (most RPE 7-8 for most) so you need less rest periods. I actually tried this at my last workout and I supersetted the opposing muscle groups together like described in the book. Triceps/Biceps or. Chin ups/Overhead Press or dips. I'll try machine row and fly probably next time. I didn't try all of these since I only did this once but they seem reasonable enough.

This wasn't like a bro superset where it was immediate or very quick switch between the muscle groups but rather the 90sec-2min rest between exercises like described in the the book (Antagonist paired sets). It saves a BIT of time as it'd be rare that I'm ever ready to go again that soon anyway.

Day 4 – Push

Vertical Push 3x6-8
Horizontal Push 3x6-8
Dips 3x8-12
Triceps 2x12-15
Flys 3x2x12-15

Day 5 – Pull

Horizontal Pull 3x6-8
Vertical Pull 3x6-8
Weighted Back Extensions 3x9-12
Biceps 2x12-15
Face Pull 2x12-15

What do you guys think?

Last edited by jimike : 03-13-2018 at 04:27 AM.
Unread 03-13-2018, 07:39 AM

That's a good idea imo. I like alternating push and pulls in a workout.